Premiership Referees

Are they all as bad as this season has proved? Craig Thomson, Andrew Dallas, Alan Muir etc have had a very poor season, and some clubs are paying with their lives in the league. 

Is there any accountability to their employer for poor performance?, if not, why not! Modern technology will probably be the answer, but knowing the SFA we won't see it for decades.

They have a difficult job at times, but at our games there is 4 of them and they still get major decisions way wrong, it seems that the assistants do NOT help much, and when they do it can be mind boggling what they see.

is the training up to scratch? and also their attitude to players?

Euan Anderson is a referee that has been great whenever I've seen him although doesn't get much premiership games. Another I can think of is Nick Walsh who was recently appointed as FIFA.

The problem with some referee's is they tell assistants to only indicate offsides and GK/Corner - fouls are entirely their call. It depends on the referee.

I only see them on the TV highlights , but you should see their League 1 counterparts! No doubt most fans would agree about the standards but it is a tough job and one made increasingly difficult with "rule" changes often not grasped by fans and players rather than the Laws of the game. Some are good at managing the players in such a way that you don't see the Ref as a post match topic. Often thought you should only complain when you win. Does the English PL have a Professional cohort? I noticed that no "British" official is at the Russia World cup. From what I see on TV Craig Thomson is way past his best years. In my League you could pick any one-my favourite Bete Noir is Matt northcroft, but I quite liked John mcKendrick.

7 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I only see them on the TV highlights , but you should see their League 1 counterparts! No doubt most fans would agree about the standards but it is a tough job and one made increasingly difficult with "rule" changes often not grasped by fans and players rather than the Laws of the game. Some are good at managing the players in such a way that you don't see the Ref as a post match topic. Often thought you should only complain when you win. Does the English PL have a Professional cohort? I noticed that no "British" official is at the Russia World cup. From what I see on TV Craig Thomson is way past his best years. In my League you could pick any one-my favourite Bete Noir is Matt northcroft, but I quite liked John mcKendrick.

Craig Thomson isn't a FIFA referee anymore and will most likely retire at the end of the season. No English officials at world cup due to the lack of quality too.

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Sack all the top referees, replace them with the even better refs who inexplicably only get lower level games, and replace them with all the people who want to ref but can't due to oversupply.

This - there are some lower level referee's (including outwith the SPFL such as SJFL) that don't get their opportunity due to the number of referee's. However, that is totally different at the grassroots level of the game where there is a shortage of referee's as the majority of them are called in for running the line in junior football and non-league football.

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Sack all the top referees, replace them with the even better refs who inexplicably only get lower level games, and replace them with all the people who want to ref but can't due to oversupply.

2 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

This

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

Euan Anderson is a referee that has been great whenever I've seen him although doesn't get much premiership games. Another I can think of is Nick Walsh who was recently appointed as FIFA.

The problem with some referee's is they tell assistants to only indicate offsides and GK/Corner - fouls are entirely their call. It depends on the referee.

Nick Walsh is by far the worst referee I've seen this season. To his credit, his decisions were equally baffling for both teams on each occasion.

If a team gets relegated it’s not the goalie’s fault for conceding too many or the centre half’s shite defending, the midfields lack of fight, the wide men’s failure to create chances or the strikers inability to score goals. Nor the manager failure to pick the right team and the right tactics over a whole season.

That’s right, it’s all the f***ing refs fault [emoji23]

2 hours ago, killienick said:

Nick Walsh is by far the worst referee I've seen this season. To his credit, his decisions were equally baffling for both teams on each occasion.

How come you have never seen Craig Thomson?

100% agree. The 2 games that come to mind are Dundee at home and Aberdeen a couple of weeks back. Really is the worst I’ve ever seen. Watch highlights of the Partick game last week I think and he was the same again. Horrendous

Going back to the original point about technology, we simply cannot afford it so we have to make do with human eyes.  It's not really the SFA messing about, its up to the clubs and if they can't afford to install it in their grounds we won't see it.  I do think we need to have more referees in the Premiership, nothing against the man but I must have seen Bobby Madden referee Motherwell 7 or 8 times this season and I don't manage to every away game but if you referee the same teams so often the previous perceived injustices remain and it can't be healthy for club or referee.

When Steven McL.ean was appointed as a Killie fan I celebrated , his dad was an ex Killie legend , how wrong was I . I honestly can’t recall him having a decent game when refereeing us and if anything he appeared to go out of his way to give us nothing . 

Im not paranoid , no siree Jim bob 

Having a single human being running around the pitch trying to spot every minor infraction going on does seem a bit of anachronism in this day and age.

Archived