Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

43 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

What's happened, they were always better than than? Same here in Falkirk, a couple o bad years and it's difficult to stop the slide - good luck

Poor off field decisions I’d guess . Wrong manager appointments. Feels like it’s been going down a slippery slope since covid . 

1 hour ago, C_titz said:

Poor off field decisions I’d guess . Wrong manager appointments. Feels like it’s been going down a slippery slope since covid . 

I'm sure it's earlier than that. I always put it down to Jim Weir's car crash, and his subsequent hiring of Barry Smith as interim assistant to cover his absence.

Yes when he had his crash we weren't in scintillating form like the season before but I'm convinced had Jim not had his crash we'd maybe struggle to reach the playoffs but we'd likely finish 5th or 6th in L1.

I suspect we'd still be mid-table to playoff pushing in L1 under Jim still today.

That's my personal take on it, ever since the crash every choice the board and management have made has been a mistake (with the exception of the Craig Slater gamble).

Happy for others to disagree and share their view on the beginning of the end for Forfar.

It's hard not to conclude that poor managerial appointments over recent years is the main reason for our current situation.

I can cut the committee some slack for this, after all selecting a team manager is a bit of a gamble for clubs at all levels.

The problem has been the reluctance to react to the obvious issues resulting from these poor appointments.

We all want 'good guys' to be successful but this is the real world.  Time for the committee to get real.

16 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

I'm sure it's earlier than that. I always put it down to Jim Weir's car crash, and his subsequent hiring of Barry Smith as interim assistant to cover his absence.

Yes when he had his crash we weren't in scintillating form like the season before but I'm convinced had Jim not had his crash we'd maybe struggle to reach the playoffs but we'd likely finish 5th or 6th in L1.

I suspect we'd still be mid-table to playoff pushing in L1 under Jim still today.

That's my personal take on it, ever since the crash every choice the board and management have made has been a mistake (with the exception of the Craig Slater gamble).

Happy for others to disagree and share their view on the beginning of the end for Forfar.

I'd say the slide started at the end of the DC era. When looked at as a whole, the club basically stood still as a L1 relegation threatened side under Bollan whilst the playing squad got worse, and then experienced a short bounce under JW before a longer term malaise set in.

5 hours ago, nofixedability said:

Our ‘sliding doors’ moment will remain the failure to appoint Stewart Petrie when they had the chance. It was a disgrace then and in hindsight is even worse.

I agree that the failure to sign Petire was the first mistake, I do believe, though, that JW would've stabilised us and every decision from my previous point has been more and more compounding to our fall.

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Paul fucking Hegerty was the start of it all, c**t!

H*garty was certainly a “see you next Tuesday” but wasn’t by the start of it. Following Hegarty we’ve had a handful of great managers. The Tommy Campbell era immediately succeeded H******, and though it fizzled out was memorable for a lot more good reasons than bad. Neil Cooper was a happy time by and large and the bulk of Dick’s reign was a great time to be a Loon. Weir’s first season was exciting and certainly ended strangely especially with the random dismissal of Sellars who did a great job while Jim was absent.

Heg**** was an absolute low, not just the football but there being, and my taking part, in a large demonstration is not something I would ever have wanted nor want again.

Is Irvine the answer and will he last? No and can’t see it but I do believe he is genuinely trying to get it right. I rarely agree with his tactics etc but I’d have him over day dreaming Paul “look at the sky” *e*a*r*y any day, but I still want him out.

56 minutes ago, speedframe said:

I feel history underplays Tommy Campbell's tenure. He inherited an absolute sh*tshow from H*g**t* and turned it around big style, playing some of the most entertaining and attacking football seen here in recent times.

He was also responsible for bringing Bingham and Mann to the club and persuading McPhee to return (though we know that ultimately they didn’t get along). Archie Knox and Alex Rae brought two of our great cup achievements and Dick went one further by leading us to actually defeating Rangers (though they were very beatable at the time) TC brought something the former two legends couldn’t achieve, winning our league division and with great style and ease and by a long standing record breaking points total, I may be wrong but it took multi millionaire financed Gretna to finally beat that, we certainly didn’t have that luxury but we did have a great motivational manager who could bring in unfancied players and turn them into stars. Exactly what we need now, we have the quality in most positions but GI can’t get the performances, individually or collectively, out of them. We need another TC or DC type character.

14 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

We certainly didn’t have that luxury but we did have a great motivational manager who could bring in unfancied players and turn them into stars. Exactly what we need now, we have the quality in most positions but GI can’t get the performances, individually or collectively, out of them. We need another TC or DC type character.

This, exactly this.

Forfar fans in particular may be interested to see this BBC feature from 1986 which heavily features the club and town in it.

It's a BBC Archive feature, Only a Game: Scottish Football Finances

Inevitably there's an interview with Albion Rovers chairman Tom Fagan too.

Must say I forgot just how deluded and arrogant Wallace Mercer was and Jim McLean also prominent in this respect too!

https://discover.bbcrewind.co.uk/asset/628547ee4b0a950023598cf7

Scottish Cup weekend!

On paper it's an easy win for us as we play a mid-table West of Scotland team, but it's Forfar, so any result wouldn't be a surprise. We can easily lose this match, draw and face the lottery of penalties or actually win. I can't call it.

5 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

Scottish Cup weekend!

On paper it's an easy win for us as we play a mid-table West of Scotland team, but it's Forfar, so any result wouldn't be a surprise. We can easily lose this match, draw and face the lottery of penalties or actually win. I can't call it.

A 3-1 victory and we were actually the better side! 

Two wins on the bounce, the board will be giving the 2 Garys new contracts. 😝

19 hours ago, C_titz said:

I’m not getting what game the buffs manager was watching? Seems to reckon they were the better team. Felt quite comfortable today 

Baffling comments to be honest. We were very very comfortable. They had a lot of the ball because we chose not to press their defence which worked well, that’s all I can think which would cause him to think that. Felt like we were still in 2nd gear too. Didn’t realise Mark Millar was playing for them so we must’ve been alright to keep him quiet