Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

17 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Steven Anderson has signed for Berwick.

36 years old, but do you think he is still good enough for the Lowland League?

Was hopeful he’d take over from Gary Irvine…

he did well for us, hasn’t played since his injury in January which kept him out for basically the rest of the season. 

Steven Anderson has signed for Berwick.
36 years old, but do you think he is still good enough for the Lowland League?
He's spent the majority of his 2 years at Forfar injured and hasn't played since January after dislocating his shoulder. He did have a good first half of this season though, he organises others well and his reading of the game is good. He's very slow but I'd imagine if he can stay fit he'd still be capable of being a good player in the Lowland League and a great benefit to any younger players. Staying fit is a huge if though.

Ultimately I think the majority of us have known for a while we aren't as good as our league standing would suggest. Irvines appointment was likely in the best financial interests of the club & as much as I'd like to see the back of him we'll just end up with another disastrous appointment along the lines of Malcolm. 

God knows what we're going to do next season, 2 strikers is a must & a bonus would be to find some mugs daft enough to take Aitken off our hands (again) 

As for Harkins, he can f**k off. 

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sam Fisher got any chance of making it in the Championship next season? Strachan too for that matter?

Fisher is a bit of a weird one in that he struggled with injury for the first half of the season. He then got played at right back, left back and in one game on the right wing. The last few weeks he’s started and has looked decent, but that’s his first proper run of games all season.

Strachan on the other hand looked ropey to begin with and grew into a good left back, chipping in with assists. Only to then be dropped inexplicably for a central midfielder in his position.

Strachan on the other hand looked ropey to begin with and grew into a good left back, chipping in with assists. Only to then be dropped inexplicably for a central midfielder in his position.

Absolutely baffling, just can't understand why you'd get rid of one of your best attacking threats

Fisher is a bit of a weird one in that he struggled with injury for the first half of the season. He then got played at right back, left back and in one game on the right wing. The last few weeks he’s started and has looked decent, but that’s his first proper run of games all season.

Totally agree, Sam has looked decent and has a good range of passing. Two leagues might be a jump though.
I don’t think brindley did badly at left back it’s just he should never have been there, especially after Luke started improving.
Moore looked good on and off and warnock did well in recent weeks. Big issue at this level relying on loan signings!

3 minutes ago, Loon81 said:

Totally agree, Sam has looked decent and has a good range of passing. Two leagues might be a jump though.
I don’t think brindley did badly at left back it’s just he should never have been there, especially after Luke started improving.
Moore looked good on and off and warnock did well in recent weeks. Big issue at this level relying on loan signings!

Moore is a permanent signing but he’s looked like he’s improved in recent weeks. I think he hadn’t played since last season when he first signed so it was always going to take him time to improve.

Moore is a permanent signing but he’s looked like he’s improved in recent weeks. I think he hadn’t played since last season when he first signed so it was always going to take him time to improve.

So he is! Can’t see many of the other permanent signings staying. Slater bound to be snapped up, hoped to keep him if we went up. Most of the guys on the bench today won’t want to stick around, especially the lesser spotted Archie Thomas

21 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Absolutely baffling, just can't understand why you'd get rid of one of your best attacking threats

That's our Gary for you. I'll be up all night scratching my head at some of the stuff that has went on.

He'll fall back on the fact we finished 2nd but that was due to a late season Annan collapse, he also stated "he had the best squad in the league"  I just can't get on board with it all, the football is murder to watch and the crowbarring of his pal - who should've packed up seasons ago - into the team is indefensible tbh.

7 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

That's our Gary for you. I'll be up all night scratching my head at some of the stuff that has went on.

He'll fall back on the fact we finished 2nd but that was due to a late season Annan collapse, he also stated "he had the best squad in the league"  I just can't get on board with it all, the football is murder to watch and the crowbarring of his pal - who should've packed up seasons ago - into the team is indefensible tbh.

Careful, the staunch Harkins defenders will claim you know nothing about football. Amazing how one back heel every six weeks can brainwash some fans. 

So he is! Can’t see many of the other permanent signings staying. Slater bound to be snapped up, hoped to keep him if we went up. Most of the guys on the bench today won’t want to stick around, especially the lesser spotted Archie Thomas
Slater is under contract for next year, need to build a team around him next year and actually use him.

I just can't get my head around the fact that we have played football on some occasions this season and looked good, Edinburgh City away being a highlight. But we always resort to hoofball. I actually feel sorry for Matty Aitken, he's got a decent number of goals and assists this year but a long ball game just isn't for him, he's not a target man, he can't read the game and isn't strong in the air, he's better with a ball to feet. We definitely need a couple of strikers next year, but couldn't we all!

Yes we didn't get promoted, but that doesn't mean Gary Irvine is the 2nd coming of Stuart Malcolm! Yes he's inexperienced but he has to bite his teeth somewhere and Forfar is a decent place for him. He'll be given time (remember the board were happy to keep Malcolm, he chose to walk away) and he has shown on occasion that him and Scott Robertson can do a good job.

The majority of the squad are under contract so that gives us a great place to build from. We will do well next season with the right additions. I agree that if plan A isn't working for Irvine he does struggle, and resorts to hoofball. Hopefully experience will help him improve.

I agree that another season in L2 is a blessing in disguise so I prefer to be optimistic (but not overreacting). As for recruitment, I would target the following:

Left Back (it'll probably be another loanee), Centre Back (with Andy being out for some of next season), Defensive Midfield (someone that is strong and dependable, therefore allowing Slater to flourish - Harkins & Hutton are not that player), Striker (Matty is fine, but we do need a different style of forward for options and competition).

53 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

Must be one of the only ones that doesn’t rate Moore.

too lightweight, looks like he canna run, canna pass & canna tackle.

our whole midfield minus slater can get tae for next season.

5 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

Left Back (it'll probably be another loanee), Centre Back (with Andy being out for some of next season), Defensive Midfield (someone that is strong and dependable, therefore allowing Slater to flourish - Harkins & Hutton are not that player), Striker (Matty is fine, but we do need a different style of forward for options and competition).

I think a couple of centre backs is needed, can’t see Whyte extending his contract in league two, he’s much better than that.

left back definitely needed, still baffled Luke Strachan got dropped, albeit I know he was on loan.

we need wingers that can actually beat a man & cross the ball also.

4 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Must be one of the only ones that doesn’t rate Moore.

too lightweight, looks like he canna run, canna pass & canna tackle.

our whole midfield minus slater can get tae for next season.

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t a fan of him signing and in his first few games I didn’t see much in him but in the last few weeks he’s been much better. Is that because having Harkins beside him would make anyone who can make a successful five yard pass look ten times better? Maybe, but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

40 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

Yes we didn't get promoted, but that doesn't mean Gary Irvine is the 2nd coming of Stuart Malcolm! Yes he's inexperienced but he has to bite his teeth somewhere and Forfar is a decent place for him. He'll be given time (remember the board were happy to keep Malcolm, he chose to walk away) and he has shown on occasion that him and Scott Robertson can do a good job.

The majority of the squad are under contract so that gives us a great place to build from. We will do well next season with the right additions. I agree that if plan A isn't working for Irvine he does struggle, and resorts to hoofball. Hopefully experience will help him improve.

I agree that another season in L2 is a blessing in disguise so I prefer to be optimistic (but not overreacting). As for recruitment, I would target the following:

Andy would have been fit for the final. Or so Irvine was telling me

41 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

Also I agree. I think Irvine is a decent manager and that we should push for the title next season. We need to get off to a good start though. Jim wier is working again…

we really didn’t get the rub of the green in that tie. Their goal in the first leg shouldn’t have stood and I’m convinced that ball was in today. Small margins but it has to be said that this season was a failure.