Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

3 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

When was the last time we had a player score a first half hattrick? I remember David Winters getting one on his debut in the 7-0 game v Stenny in 2000/01 season.

Mind you, hattricks have been rare for us over the years

I have nothing better to do just now so went for a look into it. Winters was the last one to do it in the first half. Paul Shields twice, Ross Campbell twice and Darren Gribben scored two in the first half but that’s the closest since then. Looking at the stats it’s also our first hat trick since Campbell in September 2012 against Albion Rovers.

I have nothing better to do just now so went for a look into it. Winters was the last one to do it in the first half. Paul Shields twice, Ross Campbell twice and Darren Gribben scored two in the first half but that’s the closest since then. Looking at the stats it’s also our first hat trick since Campbell in September 2012 against Albion Rovers.

Really? 10 years without a hattrick is ridiculous. I thought Matty had one but he got 2 at Ayr.

Was Darren Gribben against Stranraer in 06/07? Have a recollection of being 4-0 up on them at half time

17 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Interesting to know peoples thoughts on the following this season..

🏆 Player of the Season: Craig Slater

❌ Flop of the Season: Gary Harkins

💪 Most Improved Player: Andy Munro

👏 Unsung Hero: Luke Strachan

👕 Signing of the Season: Craig Slater

🥅 Match of the Season: Forfar 5 - 1 Annan

A couple tricky choices, and a few obvious ones. (See inside the quote for my choices)

Edited by Bridie Vision
Extra information

7 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

A couple tricky choices, and a few obvious ones. (See inside the quote for my choices)

Mines would be very similar.

Only difference I think I’d make is the flop of the season for me would be Jamie Ness, however maybe a bit harsh due to injuries, but PJ Crossan has been very underwhelming.

not sure Harkins is a flop, as I think most of us expected him to be honking.

8 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Mines would be very similar.

Only difference I think I’d make is the flop of the season for me would be Jamie Ness, however maybe a bit harsh due to injuries, but PJ Crossan has been very underwhelming.

not sure Harkins is a flop, as I think most of us expected him to be honking.

That is true, I honestly was debating between Harkins and Ness, but gave Ness the benefit of doubt for being injured. However, you could say it's a tactical flop that Harkins is a regular starter for us. I agree PJ is very meh for us some good performances some poor performances, and that shows because he's been rotated a fair amount, very rarely has he played 90 minutes (often coming off or on for Grant Anderson).

🏆 Player of the Season: Craig Slater

❌ Flop of the Season: Yusef Hussian

💪 Most Improved Player: Stefan McCluskey (we were told he was a dud)

👏 Unsung Hero: Ross Meechan (c)

👕 Signing of the Season: Craig Slater

🥅 Match of the Season: The playoff final second leg!

Player - Slater - what a player, our Thiago.

Flop - Crossan - expected far more especially at League 2 level.

Most improved - Thomas -  has went from being a sit and pass it sideways contribute nothing midfielder to box to box all action, no idea why he doesn't start next to Slater every week.

Unsung hero - Aitken - slated left, right and centre but into double figures for goals and top of the assist chart.

Signing - Slater

Player - Slater. An absolute class act. Honourable mention to Stef McCluskey

Most improved - I would say Munro, I always thought he was a bit of a donkey in his first spell but he's been solid this season and has been a great goal threat

Flop - Not sure anybody has been an outright flop, Ness was ok before his expected injury. Crossan hasn't been as good as I'd hoped but has been ok

Unsung hero - I'd agree with others who said Strachan, he has so many assists and we are so much more dangerous with his deliveries. Brindley is more physical but I think Strachan should start. Agree with the Matty shout, he can be frustrating at times but is still young and can learn the more mental side of the game. His goals and assists record is very good.

I'd also like to give a shoutout to those involved in getting the younger fans in and involving the local kids teams, we need that next generation of fans and it's encouraging to see such a big turn out

Match of the season - 4-0 win away to Edinburgh City

23 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

I'd also like to give a shoutout to those involved in getting the younger fans in and involving the local kids teams, we need that next generation of fans and it's encouraging to see such a big turn out.

It is brilliant, and something I had hoped for, for awhile. I've seen other clubs (Stenny and Montrose come to mind first) that have a real close community feel, they are involved with many local organisations and I'd thought it was a missed opportunity for the Loons. It appears they are now trying to rectify that.

It's been good to see the young team and drum return to Station Park, although I hope their number grows (and come up with some more chants) as these local youth team players get older and join them.

It is brilliant, and something I had hoped for, for awhile. I've seen other clubs (Stenny and Montrose come to mind first) that have a real close community feel, they are involved with many local organisations and I'd thought it was a missed opportunity for the Loons. It appears they are now trying to rectify that.
It's been good to see the young team and drum return to Station Park, although I hope their number grows (and come up with some more chants) as these local youth team players get older and join them.
Absolutely, I always remember Stenny having the kids on for a kickabout at half time going back 20 years, very encouraging. But aye, get some more songs!

3 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

The kid with the drum is my laddie (4th generation supporter), it was something he came to me about. I wasn’t keen as we all know what has gone on before including the over zealous stewards. However, after speaking to members of the board and they were very positive about it,  I agreed to it. The club have been very supportive as have the stewards who regularly carry the drum in for him as it’s awkward getting it through the season ticket turnstile. Whilst it would be great if their numbers grew, I hope the wrong elements don’t show up too and give the current crew a bad name. I couldn’t agree more about the songs and have “sung” (I use the term very loosely) some of the oldies from my time but they’re apparently “cringe”, just as I’m not impressed by the current Bridie Dance remix 🤣

The kid with the drum is my laddie (4th generation supporter), it was something he came to me about. I wasn’t keen as we all know what has gone on before including the over zealous stewards. However, after speaking to members of the board and they were very positive about it,  I agreed to it. The club have been very supportive as have the stewards who regularly carry the drum in for him as it’s awkward getting it through the season ticket turnstile. Whilst it would be great if their numbers grew, I hope the wrong elements don’t show up too and give the current crew a bad name. I couldn’t agree more about the songs and have “sung” (I use the term very loosely) some of the oldies from my time but they’re apparently “cringe”, just as I’m not impressed by the current Bridie Dance remix [emoji1787]
That's encouraging to hear! Hope your laddie and his pals stick to it, if we can convert some to adult supporters in a few years then happy days.

1 hour ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:
2 hours ago, lwh said:
Stef sent off and being reported as couldn’t conduct. Will miss both of the Annan games If that’s the case. Massive, massive loss and a terrible time to lose discipline 

Aye, a huge blow if he's out. What happened?

It would appear Stef isn’t too happy with the referee….

0F8A3160-54A7-4D78-BBEC-864862E831BB.jpeg

Rambling post incoming!

What do you think are Forfar's objectives for next season?

If we stay in L2 then it's surely the title, as it should be an easier season as there won't be a moneybags club (Fraserburgh have some backing but nowhere near Cove/Kelty levels. They also have to overcome a suddenly in-form Cowden).

If we get promoted we're going into a stacked L1 as there will be Queen's Park, Kelty, Falkirk, Queen of the South and probably Dunfermline or Ayr (I reckon the Diamonds will go up).

Then we have Alloa and Montrose who won't be any slouch. What situation would you all prefer?

59 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

Rambling post incoming!

What do you think are Forfar's objectives for next season?

If we stay in L2 then it's surely the title, as it should be an easier season as there won't be a moneybags club (Fraserburgh have some backing but nowhere near Cove/Kelty levels. They also have to overcome a suddenly in-form Cowden).

If we get promoted we're going into a stacked L1 as there will be Queen's Park, Kelty, Falkirk, Queen of the South and probably Dunfermline or Ayr (I reckon the Diamonds will go up).

Then we have Alloa and Montrose who won't be any slouch. What situation would you all prefer?

League two next season win the league has to be the target.

league one we need to be competitive and aim for mid table at the very least regardless of the teams in the division.

I highly doubt Fraserburgh will be in the leagues, as they still require to turn over a 3-1 deficit against Bonnyrigg Rose if they want to play Cowdenbeath for a spot in the division which will be difficult to do.