Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

18 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

We're finishing 5th aren't we

I would imagine so. Edinburgh and Stenny have options going forward and actually want to attack.

We really are soul destroying to watch, safety first at all costs and hope to sneak a Munro heeder from a set piece.

Today was awful to watch. At the same time I don’t understand how that wasn’t a penalty when Shepherd was bundled over by the last man. Three wins now from the last nine and in the majority of those nine we have looked poor.

I have no idea why we played the same outfield ten that started against Stenny, it is almost as if we learned nothing from that game as we created next to nothing until the end. Shepherd looked much better than Aitken when we came on and I would hope he starts next week. What did Luke Strachan do to warrant being dropped last month and continue to be benched for a central midfielder that does not look like a left back?

What has happened to Warnock? He seems to have appeared in a squad, been announced five days after it was well known he had signed, played five minutes then disappeared off the face of the earth.

Darren Whyte was one of the few who get pass marks for today and it’s been great to have him back from injury.

The aim for the season was to push for that title, based on recent performances we are going to have a fight on our hands to actually stay in the play off spots with Stenny and Edinburgh City picking up results.

1 minute ago, fafc1885 said:

Today was awful to watch. At the same time I don’t understand how that wasn’t a penalty when Shepherd was bundled over by the last man. Three wins now from the last nine and in the majority of those nine we have looked poor.

I have no idea why we played the same outfield ten that started against Stenny, it is almost as if we learned nothing from that game as we created next to nothing until the end. Shepherd looked much better than Aitken when we came on and I would hope he starts next week. What did Luke Strachan do to warrant being dropped last month and continue to be benched for a central midfielder that does not look like a left back?

What has happened to Warnock? He seems to have appeared in a squad, been announced five days after it was well known he had signed, played five minutes then disappeared off the face of the earth.

Darren Whyte was one of the few who get pass marks for today and it’s been great to have him back from injury.

The aim for the season was to push for that title, based on recent performances we are going to have a fight on our hands to actually stay in the play off spots with Stenny and Edinburgh City picking up results.

Foul on Stef in the first half was well inside the box too

Far too passive in a first half yet again. How do Aitken and Crossan continually get games , they offer less than nothing. No idea what Brinkley is doing as a left back, Strachan clearly a better option. There is a real lack of goals in that squad and it is starting to show.

Surely Strachan and the manager don't get on (much like how Irvine and Travis had a falling out) that has to be the only logical reason for his dropping.

I was very happy to see Matty return to the club and at the start of the season it looked like a good goalscorer too, that has now gone by the wayside. Shep is poor too, but not as poor as Matty, currently.

Thomson sadly hasn't recreated his form he had before his injury and whilst PJ has moments they are too rare, Grant Anderson is always enjoyable even if he can't manage a 90 minute match anymore. 

Hutton has been fine since he joined but neither has he added much to the squad.

As for Warnock, I assume he's injured but the whole loan has been strange, after all why did it take nearly a week for him to be announced despite being on the bench the game before?

1 hour ago, lwh said:

Foul on Stef in the first half was well inside the box too

From where I stood I think the ref got that one correct. There were other decisions which baffled most of us, but the no penalty decision in the second half looked like 'a stonewaller'.

Lacking a goal threat so it's a pity we need to rely on penalties and corners to get a result. 

Strachan hasn't started since the Edinburgh City home defeat. For one of the goals he lost his man but it seems bizarre to totally discard him, especially given his set piece delivery. If everybody who was culpable for a goal was dropped we'd have a very thin squad.

Crossan offers nothing but stepovers, still don't know why Anderson doesn't play. He's lost his pace but still has an eye for goal.

We really need to get going again or we'll either finish 5th or make the playoffs but go out with a whimper

8 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Crossan offers nothing but stepovers, still don't know why Anderson doesn't play. He's lost his pace but still has an eye for goal.

Completely agree, once again yesterday he offered more in a small cameo than Crossan for much longer. Also , as we seem to have returned to a tactic of hoof all he is our best attacking header of a ball.

Next week I'd like to see us go to a 4-3-3 and actually have a go at Stirling and make at least some attempt to entertain.

I'd go something like;

McCallum

Meechan Munro Whyte Strachan

Thomas Slater Brindley

Thomson McCluskey Anderson

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

On 08/03/2022 at 00:00, Bridie Vision said:

We are just lacking ideas at the moment. We need to mix it up somehow, so I'm all for changing the formation!

I'd start with playing players in their natural position. Why d f**k is Strachen not playing is crazy....this season is becoming like our strikers. 

18 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

It’s beginning to look more and more likely that we’re actually not even gonna make the play offs.

We do not deserve to right now. Craig Slater’s delivery and Munro’s heading papered over the fact we have terrible attacking options. Now that has dried up we are left with virtually nothing up front. Aitken’s miss today summed up what he is about. 

Gary Harkins and Matty Aitken up front to finish the game says it all about today.

Starting Yusuf when he’s not played since before Christmas also shows how stupid it was to release Travis.

Every other club seems to have us figured out, especially since they all made improvements in January. Who did we bring in? We re-signed a boy who is forever injured, a midfielder who can’t play at left back to play instead of a left back who hadn’t done much wrong, another who couldn’t get into the worst team in the league and the ghost of Steven Warnock.