Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

2 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

Last season we had Jack Mackenzie on loan from Aberdeen, he was decent for us and returned to the Don's in January and became a first team regular. 

Strachan, on the other hand has been playing (IMO) better than Mackenzie, and his set pieces have become really helpful for us. (4 assists in 3 games or something similar).  He could probably be in and around the first team, however, please let us keep him for the whole season as he's our only LB.

Fisher had been decent before his injury but with Anderson and Travis back fully fit, he'll probably not partner Munro in defence again.

Having watched Jack all season I would say he was a level above Strachan......hence he went into the 1st team....still feel its a weak spot for us....the decisions to let Yano and Sanny go will go down in history  😆

Guest mr_malcolm
Having watched Jack all season I would say he was a level above Strachan......hence he went into the 1st team....still feel its a weak spot for us....the decisions to let dick Campbell go will go down in history  [emoji38]

11 hours ago, tbsouth said:

Having watched Jack all season I would say he was a level above Strachan......hence he went into the 1st team

One argument I neglected in my comparison between Mackenzie and Strachan is that I only saw Jack play under Malcs (haven't seen Jack in an Aberdeen shirt) so I probably see more promise in Strachan because he has a better manager, who is using his strengths. Poor Jack was probably told by the last gaffer to stay back, hoof it and hope that it goes somewhere near an unfit Steven Doris 😀 

Edited by Bridie Vision
Spelling Mistake

• 2 weeks later...

Are we consigned to second place already? It feels like we’re a lot better than the other 8 but not quite as good as Kelty. Think we will romp a play off but could be a bit of a cruise to get there. 

Guest mr_malcolm
Are we consigned to second place already? It feels like we’re a lot better than the other 8 but not quite as good as Kelty. Think we will romp a play off but could be a bit of a cruise to get there. 

Pretty much

3 hours ago, lwh said:

Probably, however, just imagine if Gary finds a bang in form striker for us in January and Kelty pick up a couple injuries to key players? 🤔 Won't happen but it's nice to dream.

Guest mr_malcolm
Probably, however, just imagine if Gary finds a bang in form striker for us in January and Kelty pick up a couple injuries to key players? [emoji848] Won't happen but it's nice to dream.

Surely he knows we need a striker. He does , doesn’t he !?

1 hour ago, Bridie Vision said:

But come on lads! Arbroath at the weekend who's excited?

Definitely looking forward to the game but I don't know about being excited (yet). Apprehensive, wee bit of fear certainly, but with just that niggling reminder that there's always a cup 'upset'...

13 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

Andy Munro is in Team of the Week, he's had a cracking few weeks.

But come on lads! Arbroath at the weekend who's excited?

To be honest, looking at the weather forecast there’s a high chance there won’t be a game at Garfield, 50-60mph wind inland but potentially 70, even 80mph, gusts at the coast. That said, if it goes ahead the wind could be a leveller.

3 minutes ago, mr_malcolm said:

Travis away to Berwick on loan

Weird timing. Leaves us short for Saturday. That being said he’s quality and if he can get back to his best under malcs then that can only be a good thing.

When Arbroath came out the hat I’d consigned myself to a heavy defeat but as it gets closer I can’t help but feel a Craig Slater masterclass coming on and we’ll sneak a 1-0 win. Only going to make the heavy defeat more painful of course. Hilson hat trick might make me jump in the sea

8 hours ago, lwh said:

Weird timing. Leaves us short for Saturday. That being said he’s quality and if he can get back to his best under malcs then that can only be a good thing.

In truth I thought Travis might start alongside Munro for the cup, but he hasn't been in the team so he deserves playing time, and can understand the loan move. I just hope it doesn't end up ending his Forfar career (by getting released at the end of the season).

We aren't light in the CB area, we still have Fisher and Hussain on loan, although I doubt their loans will get extended in January. 

Does anyone know how Whyte is getting on? Any nearer to resuming training?

1 hour ago, Bridie Vision said:

In truth I thought Travis might start alongside Munro for the cup, but he hasn't been in the team so he deserves playing time, and can understand the loan move. I just hope it doesn't end up ending his Forfar career (by getting released at the end of the season).

We aren't light in the CB area, we still have Fisher and Hussain on loan, although I doubt their loans will get extended in January. 

Hussain isn’t on loan, he signed a one year deal after being released by Motherwell in the summer.

Also believe Fisher’s loan is for the season rather than just until January.

2 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

Munro is suspended for Saturday (sent off at Formartine) Hussain is a full back and he’s not great. Fisher has had even less playing time than Travis and also isn’t anywhere near as good in my opinion.

Hopefully Travis is just getting game time and will return, I understand GI not dropping Anderson or Munro as they’re playing so well collectively and individually but a fully fit and on form Travis is a very safe defence. If only they had delayed it until after Saturday as I assume Munro is banned after his red card at Foremartine. Trav looked great in that game.

When Arbroath came out the hat I’d consigned myself to a heavy defeat but as it gets closer I can’t help but feel a Craig Slater masterclass coming on and we’ll sneak a 1-0 win. Only going to make the heavy defeat more painful of course. Hilson hat trick might make me jump in the sea

Hilson is injured and even if he was fit I don’t think there would be much chance of him scoring a hattrick. Think he will be on his way out soon.