Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

3 matches, 3 different formations. It's understandable as Ray tries to figure out how best to set the team up.

He has a massive job in January, however, surely he needs to get rid of some players before bringing in new faces, to keep the wage bill in check.

Can we bring back the Dale Hilson loan rumour again? 😝

Mr McKinnon certainly has his work cut out, he has inherited a bit of a sh*tshow really.

BUT, we are not adrift, there are other poor sides in the division.  We need a churn in the January 'window' for sure and we need to try to win games (eg. ditch this all back at a corner nonsense)

For our current status we still have some decent players - he needs to get the best out of them and hopefully augment with useful additions.

13 minutes ago, speedframe said:

Mr McKinnon certainly has his work cut out, he has inherited a bit of a sh*tshow really.

BUT, we are not adrift, there are other poor sides in the division.  We need a churn in the January 'window' for sure and we need to try to win games (eg. ditch this all back at a corner nonsense)

For our current status we still have some decent players - he needs to get the best out of them and hopefully augment with useful additions.

At the rate forfar concede, stopping goals from corners should be a priority.

12 minutes ago, speedframe said:

And does eleven in the box assist in stopping us conceding?

It might do in the long run. I'm willing to wager at least matching the number of opposition in the box might assist, whilst also having a man on each post. But then I'm not a coach thats managed over 300 games.

4 minutes ago, speedframe said:

Not enough, for obvious reasons.

The obvious reasons being that they have been set up terribly, by a bloke who was more interested in being pals with the players than a manager, for the second appointment in a row.

Now the board have appointed someone who feels he needs to work out the best formation/tactics (hence 3 different in 3 games). This is a vast improvement from the broken record that was churning out the same players/formation week in, week out and wondering why it wasn't working. 

Today was a free hit, and anyone who saw the preseason game knew what was likely. I'm more interested in what happens next week and in forthcoming weeks. 

Free hit or not that was abysmal yesterday.

Main Problems remain the same.

Brindley is not, nor ever has been , a left back.

Hutton is far too slow.

Munro is a bombscare with atrocious distribution on the ball.

Aitken offers nothing as a striker, not even effort.

New manager needs to get to January still in touch with other teams and resolve these issues.

6 hours ago, nofixedability said:

Free hit or not that was abysmal yesterday.

Main Problems remain the same.

Brindley is not, nor ever has been , a left back.

Hutton is far too slow.

Munro is a bombscare with atrocious distribution on the ball.

Aitken offers nothing as a striker, not even effort.

New manager needs to get to January still in touch with other teams and resolve these issues.

I don't disagree with any of those points about the squad. I suspect Aitken will be going nowhere, but wouldn't be surprised if the loan players had their stints cut short to allow for improvement in other positions. 

3 games til the window opens. I'd like 6 points, I'd settle for 5, but suspect 3 might be realistic.

2 hours ago, RateofKnots said:

I don't disagree with any of those points about the squad. I suspect Aitken will be going nowhere, but wouldn't be surprised if the loan players had their stints cut short to allow for improvement in other positions. 

3 games til the window opens. I'd like 6 points, I'd settle for 5, but suspect 3 might be realistic.

I agree, Morland was a waste of a loan he's played about 10 minutes I think.

Hanratty has shown flashes but it clearly down the pecking order for wide players.

Dailly has had some game time but hasn't done anything much, and with Whyte back he'll be dropped to the bench, so will probably go back to his parent club. 

Docherty, nobody was happy when he came back and since he's a bit of a utility person I could see him staying, as I'm confident Edinburgh don't want him back.

Ferguson has scored one goal but he doesn't seem like the goalscorer we need so I imagine he'll go back.

Do you think Ray will manage to offload any other players?

4 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

I agree, Morland was a waste of a loan he's played about 10 minutes I think.

Hanratty has shown flashes but it clearly down the pecking order for wide players.

Dailly has had some game time but hasn't done anything much, and with Whyte back he'll be dropped to the bench, so will probably go back to his parent club. 

Docherty, nobody was happy when he came back and since he's a bit of a utility person I could see him staying, as I'm confident Edinburgh don't want him back.

Ferguson has scored one goal but he doesn't seem like the goalscorer we need so I imagine he'll go back.

Do you think Ray will manage to offload any other players?

Hopefully fucking all of them. I’d keep mcallum and slater that’s it 

The new assistant looks somewhat like George Shields but I could be wrong. The goalie coach was Iain Ross who was also sub keeper last week but I think he’s just helping out and Wayne Henderson was unavailable yesterday.