Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

5 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Not a bad shout that.

He certainly did plenty of shouting at Stirling.  The half time dressing room screams of  F.....g unacceptable could be heard in the stand. Don't know if he'd move up out of the central belt though? 

I just hope for your fans' sake that they don't make the same mistake Berwick did in hanging on to Johnny Harvey.  Counting on another team doing worse doesn't tend to end well in league 2.

24 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

That's a bit like up here except that's what we shout at the manager. For the record, there's a good squad of players to work with.

What's happened at Forfar has shocked me. In the first half of last season they were one of the most well organized solid teams in the division.  We collapsed from 2nd as well.  In our case you could kind of see it coming. Not enough cover for injuries in defence and we got one after another defender crocked.  Covid chipped in to weaken the team as well.  Had to release a homesick Dylan Bikey.  Add to that an inexplicable first choice as main striker and Dale Carrick either on the bench, or played out wide, or too far back. Just about everybody could see it coming except the manager.  

Trust me I recognise the pain.

2 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

What's happened at Forfar has shocked me. In the first half of last season they were one of the most well organized solid teams in the division.  We collapsed from 2nd as well.  In our case you could kind of see it coming. Not enough cover for injuries in defence and we got one after another defender crocked.  Covid chipped in to weaken the team as well.  Had to release a homesick Dylan Bikey.  Add to that an inexplicable first choice as main striker and Dale Carrick either on the bench, or played out wide, or too far back. Just about everybody could see it coming except the manager.  

Trust me I recognise the pain.

I think our Goalkeeper covered a multitude of sins last season, whereas he has seemed a little more mortal this season, especially early in the season. 

Irvines signings have been poor on the whole, and his approach to games is rudimentary and based on a safety first approach. Lose the first goal and there's no coming back.

I think the board will give him until at least the 1st week of December, which is Albion Rovers at home. I suspect another home loss there would see him moved on.

Here’s my tuppence worth….

Last season Gary started off well, we looked good, we were competing with Kelty until Christmas. We were good enough to remain in the top four throughout but inconsistent form meant we lost being in touching distance with Kelty. Come the playoffs our form was, barring the 5-1 against Annan, fairly non existent. Not going up through the playoffs was forgivable after a season of horrendous injuries to key players. What wasn’t was losing our captain rumoured to be due to a major disagreement between captain and manager. These things happen but are avoidable and should be when things aren’t working out and heading in the direction we could all see.

OK, that was last season, Irvine has made some decent signings, permanent and loan, Nditi being a highlight for me, signing more injured and injury prone players are most certainly not. The latter could’ve worked out but it’s a gamble that hasn’t paid off for him already and for Malcs before him.

In my opinion, even without the injury prone signings (which if they’d worked out would’ve been great) have a playing staff capable of a serious challenge at the title. Sadly we are not a team and haven’t been for about a year. I won’t go into naming certain players that I feel are probably the best in their position in this division as we know who they are. A collection of quality talent needs to be moulded into a team, motivated by a manager with character. Tactical awareness and the willingness to change things are required. Unfortunately Irvine seems to lack this, his selections are all so predictable and his tactics are too easily read by others. If he even took a couple of gambles now and again that would be something, and by gambles I don’t mean playing his best pal who no longer has the legs. I’ve had the pleasure of chatting to Gary a few times, I don’t doubt his desire, I know some will disagree, and I also consider him to be a genuinely nice guy. I reckon he’s a great coach but he’s not a manager, certainly not yet. 

We need a replacement as soon as possible, even a short term fix (what’s Sam Allardice up to?) to steady the ship. We’re fortunate that it’s a very tight division and we’re not that far points wise off a play off place. I joked about Big Sam but that kind of character to stop the rot and get us back on track is needed now, if it’s long term then fine or even get us in a safe position and an attractive proposition to a more forward thinking long term gaffer.

A long drone on I know and not saying anything new but needed that off my chest before we do a Brechin or worse…..

3 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

Here’s my tuppence worth….

Last season Gary started off well, we looked good, we were competing with Kelty until Christmas. We were good enough to remain in the top four throughout but inconsistent form meant we lost being in touching distance with Kelty. Come the playoffs our form was, barring the 5-1 against Annan, fairly non existent. Not going up through the playoffs was forgivable after a season of horrendous injuries to key players. What wasn’t was losing our captain rumoured to be due to a major disagreement between captain and manager. These things happen but are avoidable and should be when things aren’t working out and heading in the direction we could all see.

OK, that was last season, Irvine has made some decent signings, permanent and loan, Nditi being a highlight for me, signing more injured and injury prone players are most certainly not. The latter could’ve worked out but it’s a gamble that hasn’t paid off for him already and for Malcs before him.

In my opinion, even without the injury prone signings (which if they’d worked out would’ve been great) have a playing staff capable of a serious challenge at the title. Sadly we are not a team and haven’t been for about a year. I won’t go into naming certain players that I feel are probably the best in their position in this division as we know who they are. A collection of quality talent needs to be moulded into a team, motivated by a manager with character. Tactical awareness and the willingness to change things are required. Unfortunately Irvine seems to lack this, his selections are all so predictable and his tactics are too easily read by others. If he even took a couple of gambles now and again that would be something, and by gambles I don’t mean playing his best pal who no longer has the legs. I’ve had the pleasure of chatting to Gary a few times, I don’t doubt his desire, I know some will disagree, and I also consider him to be a genuinely nice guy. I reckon he’s a great coach but he’s not a manager, certainly not yet. 

We need a replacement as soon as possible, even a short term fix (what’s Sam Allardice up to?) to steady the ship. We’re fortunate that it’s a very tight division and we’re not that far points wise off a play off place. I joked about Big Sam but that kind of character to stop the rot and get us back on track is needed now, if it’s long term then fine or even get us in a safe position and an attractive proposition to a more forward thinking long term gaffer.

A long drone on I know and not saying anything new but needed that off my chest before we do a Brechin or worse…..

What he said . Nail on head 

morning @Silver Fox thanks for that, but it's not worth writing anymore. I'm sitting at work on a Wednesday in the middle of the fucking jungle.

Times up for Irvine (was 3 month ago), time to get the boots on and let the board hear.

I'm getting a sheet and paint in the afternoon, picture will be posted!

giphy.gif

If Gary Irvine was to leave Forfar I would look at trying to get somebody like Jim McInally if I was on the board.His time at Peterhead is probably about up,has done a very good job up their if you ask me and lives local(Broughty Ferry)plus he would be able to bring a good calibre of player to Forfar I'd imagine....Match made in heaven 😀