Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

1 hour ago, terracingtam said:

Hope it's not a replay,that would be inhuman.

Isn't it a 3-0 walkover for us? Wasn't there another Premier Sports Cup game where a suspended player played and the other team were given a 3-0 walkover.

We are very lucky that Dundee took the foot off the gas in the second half today because that was five going on ten.

The first goal Brindley sat off Jakubiak completely and let him breeze through the defence. Munro at fault for the second, why did he come charging out and not bother making any form of challenge?

Munro was at fault again for the fourth goal as it was his man yet he’s given a free header. 

A well taken goal from Stef the only highlight from a very dire afternoon.

I get that we’re playing one of the Championship favourites but f**k me lads, at least try a bit. 

I've not witnessed as poor a performance as that in professional football for a long time. Lot of it was to do with just how good we were admittedly, but your lads were repeatedly falling over the ball and unable to string a single pass together.

I see Irvine is holding his hands up and saying it was his fault because he didn't want you to go toe to toe with us, but even your kick off routine was pathetic. Instead of punting it deep into our half for a winger to maybe chase or at the very least a Dundee throw in deep in our half, you lads were simply just punting it back to our keeper of CH to restart an attack. 

Your LB battled away well against Josh Mulligan but other than that, it was hard to find positives for you. 

Hope you lads get promoted as with Irvine and GGH you have two big Dee cult heroes but it wasn't pretty for you lot today. All the best.

First half was dreadful, second half was quite promising. Don’t know why we never try to play from the start because sitting back is never gonna work. Irvine’s held his hands up so hopefully doesn’t happen again. Second half was much better, looked dangerous and passed well. Moore has to start alongside Slater this season. So much better with them two in the middle

28 minutes ago, lwh said:

First half was dreadful, second half was quite promising. Don’t know why we never try to play from the start because sitting back is never gonna work. Irvine’s held his hands up so hopefully doesn’t happen again. Second half was much better, looked dangerous and passed well. Moore has to start alongside Slater this season. So much better with them two in the middle

1st half was dreadful because we made you look dreadful..thats the best i've saw a dundee team knock the ball about for a few seasons

the 2nd half was quite promising because we treated it like a pre season friendly and even then we could have had another 4/5 goals

4 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

1st half was dreadful because we made you look dreadful..thats the best i've saw a dundee team knock the ball about for a few seasons

the 2nd half was quite promising because we treated it like a pre season friendly and even then we could have had another 4/5 goals

And also because we were indeed dreadful.

46 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

Or because the first half we camped on the edge of our box and in the second we actually tried and succeeded in causing you problems. Dundee are obviously a good side but the margin of the result was far more to do with our set up than anything else 

2 minutes ago, lwh said:

Or because the first half we camped on the edge of our box and in the second we actually tried and succeeded in causing you problems. Dundee are obviously a good side but the margin of the result was far more to do with our set up than anything else 

Can't agree with that. We made 5 subs over the course of the second half and arguably our most important players came off namely, McGowan, McGinn & Jakubiak. We took our only left footed LB off and played our RB their for the second half.

We treated the second half like a complete friendly and eased the pressure. Undeniably you were the makers of your own downfall at times with the likes of Munro having a complete horror show, but that's what we've done in every game so far, put the opposition under lots of pressure, let them make mistakes and slowly bring on the young lads by the time the game is wrapped up for the second half.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can't agree with that. We made 5 subs over the course of the second half and arguably our most important players came off namely, McGowan, McGinn & Jakubiak. We took our only left footed LB off and played our RB their for the second half.

We treated the second half like a complete friendly and eased the pressure. Undeniably you were the makers of your own downfall at times with the likes of Munro having a complete horror show, but that's what we've done in every game so far, put the opposition under lots of pressure, let them make mistakes and slowly bring on the young lads by the time the game is wrapped up for the second half.

if we needed to score 7/8 to win the group that starting 11 would have got the 7/8 if played the 90 mins..regardless on how forfar set up...much more even 2nd half but like you said we took off 50% of our starting 10 outfield players and could and should still have scored another 4/5 goals.

11 hours ago, lwh said:

Fully agree with this. Last season the tactic seemed to be always to sit back and wait until they score before attacking ourselves. Never worked but we have shown that given the freedom.to attack that we have players who can do it now. Let's turn the game plan up side down and get positive.

Narey's Toepoker has us as favourites for the title. In truth I agree with his reasoning, we probably have the strongest squad on paper, however, our recent performances don't seem to agree with that assumption.

https://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/2022/07/2022-23-league-two-preview.html?m=1

As @lwh said, if we look to attack, rather than sit back, then there is hope. But, Gary Irvine was a defender, so he often puts defensive responsibility first, and that then makes us hope Andy or Nditi don't have a brain-dead moment and make stupid blunder every couple of games.

19 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

Narey's Toepoker has us as favourites for the title. In truth I agree with his reasoning, we probably have the strongest squad on paper, however, our recent performances don't seem to agree with that assumption.

https://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/2022/07/2022-23-league-two-preview.html?m=1

As @lwh said, if we look to attack, rather than sit back, then there is hope. But, Gary Irvine was a defender, so he often puts defensive responsibility first, and that then makes us hope Andy or Nditi don't have a brain-dead moment and make stupid blunder every couple of games.

I'd say Annan are favourites, but there's not much between 4 or 5 clubs, as it stands. In 4 or 5 games time, the picture will be clearer.

2 hours ago, RateofKnots said:

I'd say Annan are favourites, but there's not much between 4 or 5 clubs, as it stands. In 4 or 5 games time, the picture will be clearer.

I would also have Annan as favourites with Stenny not far behind, we just do not have the goals in the team to really mount a challenge I feel.