Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

Yeah I have always liked Flanagan too he used to impress me. Pacey and direct although I feel like he’s massively underachieved, he seems to show flashes of brilliance in certain games but never actually carries it out through a season. Remember hoping we should have gone for him based off a game he played against you in a play off years ago. The year we won league and you went up, Gavin Swankie absolutely bossed the game at Station Park and Danny Denholm was brilliant too. 

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah I have always liked Flanagan too he used to impress me. Pacey and direct although I feel like he’s massively underachieved, he seems to show flashes of brilliance in certain games but never actually carries it out through a season. Remember hoping we should have gone for him based off a game he played against you in a play off years ago. The year we won league and you went up, Gavin Swankie absolutely bossed the game at Station Park and Danny Denholm was brilliant too. 

Yeah, we tried our best to chuck that game away too. Foxy was at his Alonso esque best that day.

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I always thought Ben Armour was quite a decent player. Not a goalscorer, but a handy forward. It's a shame he's made out of glass.

Sounds like Scott Shepherd. I’ll reserve judgement as I admittedly don’t remember seeing him play against us but we could do with a goalscorer.

Flanagan is a terrific player and on his day unplayable.  Sadly he didn't have enough of those days for us but his ability is outstanding for this level.  If the manager can keep him sweet he could be a great acquisition

Sad to see him leave Stirling and no doubt he will come back to haunt us 

Armour caught my eye during the covid season for Peterhead, think he’s a very decent player. Don’t know too much about Flanagan but seems positive on all accounts. Good business. Full backs next on the agenda 

11 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I always thought Ben Armour was quite a decent player. Not a goalscorer, but a handy forward. It's a shame he's made out of glass.

Hardly played for us with injuries certainly a factor initially. Not a great sign though that he was very much on the periphery even when he was fit. After the mess of the Ferguson era we started off under Brian Rice with a terrific performance against Cove, going 2 up with some great football. Went down to 10 men though and ended up hanging on in the second half. Connor Sammon put in a terrific shift and went off knackered late on with Armour coming on. Great chance to impress the new boss by working his arse off by pressuring the Cove defenders and giving our defence a wee break, but Armour strolled about, totally going through the motions. No surprise he was never seen again.

Edited by Waspie

22 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah I have always liked Flanagan too he used to impress me. Pacey and direct although I feel like he’s massively underachieved, he seems to show flashes of brilliance in certain games but never actually carries it out through a season. 

I think you have summed Flanagan up perfectly there. I went from being so excited to have him sign to not being fussy that he left, in less than 8 months. There’s definitely a fantastic player in there, but during his time at Stirling, he was anonymous most of the time, but you could see he was trying, it just wasn’t happening for him. 

From different fans opinions Armour & Flanagan seem like decent signings but not masterstrokes. Armour could be an injury-prone Shep, and Flanagan seems like a Tapping type player - there is a good player in him but very rarely do we see it - however, if he's a direct winger that could be useful for our style of counter-attacking play.

Hopefully more signing news in the near future as Gary Irvine and Yussef Hussain are the only fullbacks at the club and we need someone to play alongside Slater that isn't Hutton or Harkins - Moore might be the best option there for now (although I'm sure Irvine would prefer Harkins in the other CM spot)

As for Jamie Ness, I believe he was only given a deal until this summer and it's highly unlikely he's been offered another contract.

I’m very excited with the signing on Flanagan think he will add a lot of quality to our squad but I do feel we need to get a few more quality players n for him to shine.

On the Armour signing i’m not as excited however willing to give him a chance.

it definitely will be interesting to see how Irvine lines us up this season.

I don’t think Flanagan & Armour would of signed to just sit on our bench, which leads to the question who’s dropping out for Flanagan & Armour to come in..

2 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

Scott Robertson has left the club to take up a more senior full-time role at Dens Park. Be interesting to see if Gary recruits another assistant manager or if he doesn't add to his backroom staff.

Use the cash for a decent players wage, we don't need a bloated 'management' team.

1 hour ago, fafc1885 said:

‘Forfar boss Gary Irvine relishing potential loan link with Dunfermline’

No thanks.

Agreed, why choose Dunfermline! Our "partnership" with Dens last season was fine, also Dundee have a better youth system than Dunfermline and are much closer to us.

6 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

Agreed, why choose Dunfermline! Our "partnership" with Dens last season was fine, also Dundee have a better youth system than Dunfermline and are much closer to us.

It's because that's where his mate James McPake is now.