Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

22 hours ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Were Hilson and Baird the same "type" though? Baird could actually finish. Wasn't Hilson happy to leave us in the lurch when we were struggling at the bottom of League 1 and he's now been found to be out of his depth?

I'm not fussed either way, there are also rumours he's heading through the Angus vortex to Montrose so we'll see.

I didn’t suggest they were the same type of player hence why I said “Hilson OR Baird type”

Either would be fine and could be quite effective playing alongside Stef and Slates.

Anyway, great win today and guaranteed a play off place. Personally I would’ve preferred that was delayed and a Stenny win to give us a better chance of catching Annan.

35 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

I didn’t suggest they were the same type of player hence why I said “Hilson OR Baird type”

Either would be fine and could be quite effective playing alongside Stef and Slates.

Anyway, great win today and guaranteed a play off place. Personally I would’ve preferred that was delayed and a Stenny win to give us a better chance of catching Annan.

Ah ok, sorry, I misunderstood.

Good win today. Looks like the standard snoozefest until the last ten minutes as usual though. Some determination and blinkered to keep playing Harkins.

2 goals and a clean sheet as well as securing a play off place has to be good for confidence, which we’ve looked absolutely shot of recently. Our good records against Annan and Edinburgh City has to be something to lean on going in to them

On 02/04/2022 at 18:39, lwh said:

2 goals and a clean sheet as well as securing a play off place has to be good for confidence, which we’ve looked absolutely shot of recently. Our good records against Annan and Edinburgh City has to be something to lean on going in to them

Spot on Iwh - you guys been in a bit of free fall recently.

From an Annan point o view hopefully we finish 2nd and get 2nd. Leg of playoff at Galabank

12 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Spot on Iwh - you guys been in a bit of free fall recently.

From an Annan point o view hopefully we finish 2nd and get 2nd. Leg of playoff at Galabank

Irvine is , rightly, talking up wanting to finish second but I wonder if third might be better? 

Think a weekend trip to Annan might be better for the players and certainly for the fans than a midweek one.

Either way will be a couple of tight games and with us still to play in the league could  pretty tense affairs. We have had the better in the league matches so far but don't think there is much between the two sides. 

7 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

Irvine is , rightly, talking up wanting to finish second but I wonder if third might be better? 

Think a weekend trip to Annan might be better for the players and certainly for the fans than a midweek one.

Either way will be a couple of tight games and with us still to play in the league could  pretty tense affairs. We have had the better in the league matches so far but don't think there is much between the two sides. 

As much as 2nd is better for prize money etc. I would prefer 3rd place for the reasons you give. I don't want to drive down to the borders on a Tuesday night, the Saturday is far easier. 

Yeah definitely agreed, would much rather be at home midweek, similar to a few years ago when Stranraer pipped us to 2nd and we killed the tie in the first leg at home against them.

Of course, we blew it against Alloa, but still gave ourselves that lead at home. See also Dunfermline a few years before that. Point remains that I think being at home midweek gives us a better chance of taking the lead in the tie

Matchday! 3rd v 4th 10 points the difference, Edinburgh aren't in great form whereas Forfar on paper are in the better form, however, we all know that we've been poor for ages, despite mediocre results.

Harkins seems to be in the starting 11 on the regular again now so that's bad news.

What will happen today? I can see a draw 0-0 or 1-1.

Another defeat. Seven goals scored in the last ten games. Harkins starting again. Another injured defender.

What an afternoon.

I’ll ask it every week, but what has Archie Thomas done to warrant the treatment he gets? Yes, he was injured but since coming back he’s been on the bench for the last seven games and played two minutes. 

Ironically I thought we played better today than many games we've won. Same problem of not enough cutting edge up front though as we were well on top and had good territory, but didn't create many chances, just lots of set pieces.

Thought Edinburgh defended their box fairly well, especially considering the number of corners and free kicks we had.

Some baffling decisions for both sides from the officials.

Looked a bad injury for Andy Munro unfortunately, centre back is cursed for us.

The match stats tell a different story but that was a fairly comfortable victory for City today. The penalty award looked a soft one. Hope your centre back is ok, but that looked a nasty injury. 

The noise he made when he went down was bad. Hopefully it's not too serious, but I'd be surprised if he featured again this season

20 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I take it nae c**t is giving a f**k anymore......what a season.

We can still do this, can we?

We can still do this, it is possible, but I reckon no one has any confidence in that happening. I take no pleasure in saying that.

A hard run in against teams that are performing better and with more continuity too. The likely loss to injury of Big Andy is a severe blow, granted we still have Whyte, who I rate very highly,  in central defence but the partnership that Munro had with Anderson and, later, with Darren was formidable. Andy’s goal threat at set pieces too. One player doesn’t make a team and we have some excellent players but not in every department but Munro is a leader and we need someone with influence which I’m not sure we have. 
This Saturday will be an indication of where we are going forward.