Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

4 minutes ago, Deeloon said:

Anyone wanting him sacked after the debacle of last season has no idea what they are talking about.

Can't say I notice much difference between what Malcolm was serving up and what Irvine is. It's a far poorer league we're in this season and we have Craig Slater, that's about it.

1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Can't say I notice much difference between what Malcolm was serving up and what Irvine is. It's a far poorer league we're in this season and we have Craig Slater, that's about it.

Exactly, bar Slater this mob are about as bad as last season and Irvine is pretty much as negative in his tactics. Since Christmas we have been utter murder to watch other than when we have a go in second halves because we sat back in the first. The club should warn us when they are going to play Hutton and Harkins in the same 11 so anyone wanting to watch football knows not to turn up. 

Haven't been to see Forfar for a good while now, my boys play on Saturdays.
But reading the above, the biggest reason for not paying money to see a game is negative tactics.
Teams that score generally don't get relegated, simple as that.
My absolute favourite period watching Forfar was DC's reign where we were scoring two or three each week then shipping three or two the next.
I'll be possibly berated for this one but Bollan's initial run in L2 was also tremendous, so many goals for both teams, so many games we won but possibly could have lost. Tremendous entertainment.
Those stats today are horrific, 9 shots, 1 on target and 7 corners. Cowden pretty similar.
Brutal stuff.

Quality in league 2 is no that great.

You boys were very good early doors when we played u - I actually thought the best ( excluding the Kelty) but you seem to have shit your breeks now. 

Do you think you'll make 3rd. ? (  cheeky question after Annan's performance today 🤔 )

3 hours ago, Deeloon said:

Anyone wanting him sacked after the debacle of last season has no idea what they are talking about.

What has he done which has made us better than under Malcolm?

both two useless managers that can’t change things when the aren’t going our way.

our squad is atrocious, Irvine claimed we had the best team in the league?

he should be checked into a mental asylum 

Quality in league 2 is no that great.
You boys were very good early doors when we played u - I actually thought the best ( excluding the Kelty) but you seem to have shit your breeks now. 
Do you think you'll make 3rd. ? (  cheeky question after Annan's performance today [emoji848] )

Yeah we'll make 3rd, Edinburgh City seem to be in disarray and the gap is too big for Stenny. In an odd way I think 3rd might be better as we wouldn't have to travel to Annan midweek

4 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

What has he done which has made us better than under Malcolm?

both two useless managers that can’t change things when the aren’t going our way.

our squad is atrocious, Irvine claimed we had the best team in the league?

he should be checked into a mental asylum 

Agree with a lot of that but he can change things, did so today and it got us back into the game. But he never learns , the first half’s are like Groundhog Day, same team , same negative set up at home and waiting until we are behind to even have a go.

1 hour ago, nofixedability said:

Agree with a lot of that but he can change things, did so today and it got us back into the game. But he never learns , the first half’s are like Groundhog Day, same team , same negative set up at home and waiting until we are behind to even have a go.

It’s the 1 up top at home week in week out that gets on my nerves.

Harkins & Hutton starting in the same starting 11 is another baffling decision.

1 hour ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Harkins & Hutton starting in the same starting 11 is another baffling decision.

It's not baffling, it's fucking disgraceful, neither of these players should be anywhere near our starting 11. The man has lost it.

It's not baffling, it's fucking disgraceful, neither of these players should be anywhere near our starting 11. The man has lost it.

What had poor Archie done? I’d have him before either. To be fair I’d rather see a youngster try and make some mistakes than watch a 37 year old coach strut about doing hee-haw

15 minutes ago, Loon81 said:

What had poor Archie done? I’d have him before either. To be fair I’d rather see a youngster try and make some mistakes than watch a 37 year old coach strut about doing hee-haw

Archie Thomas has been injured for awhile and is lacking match fitness, however, he also must've upset Irvine (like Travs) because a not so sharp Archie is still better than a well past it Harkins or an uninterested Hutton.

At least Warnock got some minutes today, when him and Grant Anderson (who seems to be continually overlooked - even though he can no longer do 90 minutes) came on we looked better. 

I wonder if Craig Thomson coming back a shadow of his former self from injury has further contributed to our woeful attack?

17 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

however, he also must've upset Irvine (like Travs) because a not so sharp Archie is still better than a well past it Harkins or an uninterested Hutton

Unless players like Travis and Thomas (and any other players) have broken Club rules, a manager should be strong enough to play them, regardless of any personal animosity. If, and I suppose it's a big if, Irvine is dropping players because of a fall-out then is he really a good enough manager? It would be a disgrace if, when the team are obviously struggling on the field, he's deliberately leaving out more than capable players over any petty squabble he has with them.

By the time Travis was fit Munro and Anderson were established as the central pairing. Travis clearly wanted to play and wasn’t likely to get past them at the time. With Whyte to return Travis moved on. Don’t see a problem personally Travis may be better than Munro but clearly could not be relied on as much so he stuck with him as right footed centre half. 

A couple of people have told me Thomas had an injury but if so don’t get why he’s on the bench.  

As evidenced by last 20 minutes on Saturday, problem is not the personnel so much ( though clearly our striking options are not good enough and Harkins should have stayed retired) but our attitude/ negative formation / confidence  IMO.

By the time Travis was fit Munro and Anderson were established as the central pairing. Travis clearly wanted to play and wasn’t likely to get past them at the time. With Whyte to return Travis moved on. Don’t see a problem personally Travis may be better than Munro but clearly could not be relied on as much so he stuck with him as right footed centre half. 

A couple of people have told me Thomas had an injury but if so don’t get why he’s on the bench.  

As evidenced by last 20 minutes on Saturday, problem is not the personnel so much ( though clearly our striking options are not good enough and Harkins should have stayed retired) but our attitude/ negative formation / confidence  IMO.
Agree totally. In hindsight keeping Travis would have been ideal, but he wasn't playing and understandably wanted first team football.

Your last paragraph hits the nail on the head.

We've got a tough run to the end of the season but are near enough guaranteed 3rd so I'd like to see us have a go, try and get our confidence up a bit

1 hour ago, Bridie Vision said:

Apparently Dale Hilson is interested in a return to Station Park in the summer, should Arbroath fail to get into the Prem!

I would think if they do get promoted he would unlikely ever feature for them as he’s way down the pecking order as it is, Arbroath would surely look to strengthen if they go up. I would think promotion would increase our chances of his umpteenth return. There’s been regular rumours of him coming back all season, none of them true so this is likely the same, though I’d welcome him back, we’re crying out for someone like him or a John Baird type.

Were Hilson and Baird the same "type" though? Baird could actually finish. Wasn't Hilson happy to leave us in the lurch when we were struggling at the bottom of League 1 and he's now been found to be out of his depth?

I'm not fussed either way, there are also rumours he's heading through the Angus vortex to Montrose so we'll see.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

Were Hilson and Baird the same "type" though? Baird could actually finish. Wasn't Hilson happy to leave us in the lurch when we were struggling at the bottom of League 1 and he's now been found to be out of his depth?
I'm not fussed either way, there are also rumours he's heading through the Angus vortex to Montrose so we'll see.
Pretty harsh comment given he played most of his football under DC. Not surprised he went there tbh.