Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

Re improvements in January, our deficiency up front has been apparent all season.  I appreciate every club is looking for a goalscorer and it is not easy to find one without a slice of luck.

But the fact is we signed nobody for that role, never even took a chance on a promising junior or a hopeful loan signing   ( and I am not a fan of loans🙁)

I honestly can’t see where our goals are going to come from?

we never look like scoring at all from open play.

corners are our only threat and even then the previous deliveries have been awful.

maybe it’s best not to qualify for the play offs to save the embarrassment of a hammering.

6 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Also, can someone please tell me what’s happened to Luke Strachan?

He’s a much better option than Brindley at left back.

i’m sure he’s got the most assists at the club this season as well; it’s baffling.

He does have the most assist (granted most of them have been corners leading to Andy's big heed) but he wasn't even in the squad today so he's either injured or out with COVID.

24 minutes ago, speedframe said:

Re improvements in January, our deficiency up front has been apparent all season.  I appreciate every club is looking for a goalscorer and it is not easy to find one without a slice of luck.

But the fact is we signed nobody for that role, never even took a chance on a promising junior or a hopeful loan signing   ( and I am not a fan of loans🙁)

Surely he tried to sign someone, the most attacking player he signed was the mysterious Steven Warnock.

34 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

He does have the most assist (granted most of them have been corners leading to Andy's big heed) but he wasn't even in the squad today so he's either injured or out with COVID.

Surely he tried to sign someone, the most attacking player he signed was the mysterious Steven Warnock.

Yeah, noticed him & Fisher weren’t in the squad.

Very worrying this size of our squad, and looking at how depleted our bench looked today.

We got 3 points on Tuesday (albeit Cowdenbeath will feel they deserved something) Albion now, another hopeful 3 points, but with the current form of the Loons it's another I can't call it.

A positive is that Daz & Strachan should be back from COVID so Daz will start, Strachan I'm not so sure.

On 19/03/2022 at 19:42, tbsouth said:

Albion created the better chances , we almost stole it at the death but the best news came at the end....the welshman has quit the club....as they say in Wales..." riddance da. "..👋👋👋😆

Best news ever , hopefully room in his case for the Auchterarder barber 

On paper being 3rd in the league and looking comfortable in the playoffs seems OK, but there are many reasons to be concerned.

We beat Edinburgh City 4-0 just before Christmas playing some nice football and looking like we may push Kelty to an extent. We'd had a good season up to then and had at times played some good stuff throughout the season and controlled games.

However, since Christmas we have been poor, even in games we've won we haven't played very well. It's obvious we lack a quality centre forward, but it's not as if we're creating much and we had been earlier in the season.

It takes a very good team to play a defensive set up and it just doesn't suit us, we need Slater further up, his passing is excellent and he can create things, but he needs to be doing that in the final 3rd, not pinging great balls from his own half which we then fail to do anything with.

We'll make the playoffs, and are capable of winning them, but I'd be very sceptical of that approach next season up a league, and should we stay down (which I think we will) the form over the last 3 months is worrying. I'd fancy Bonnyrigg to win the playoffs and they could strengthen in the summer which would make it a more competitive league next year.

I think Irvine overall has done enough so far to give him this season and to start the next, but a poor start next season regardless of league will have calls for his head.