Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

How people forget very quickly over the two season, where on numerous threads he has been lambasted by all.

I didn't like Gary to start with. He was past it and then the fight in the pub made me dislike him more, even the start of this season I didn't want him on the field. However after the injuries to Whyte and Anderson, Irvine has been fairly consistent and dependable. So, yes I was one of the folk who lambasted him but credit where credit is due my opinion of him has softened and I would be very happy for him to stay next season as a coach (definitely not a manager though). I'll just make sure I don't upset him when we're all allowed back in pubs proper. 😅

Gary Irvine it is then, I’ve been impressed by the improvement under him and Tony Docherty. Let’s get behind him and hope for better days ahead, hopefully with an immediate promotion back to League 1. All the best Gary 👍🏼

Guest bernardblack

Thinking positively, he likely will have a relationship with the players out or contract....the ones we want to keep anyway 

Guest mr_malcolm

Who else could we realistically have got? At least Irvine knows what needs done to the squad immediately

Like Bridie Vision I was less than impressed with Irvine as a player but he's certainly had a good spell of late. I hope he draws on his playing experience in the managerial role. Definitely glad we've someone in at this point, so time to settle in to the role. Here's hoping for a successful run. All the best to Gary.

2 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

Half expecting a P&B meltdown on here.....as Delia would say...."where are you" 😅

I have grave reservations about this. On the plus side he knows the existing playing squad so decisions on who to keep and who to him ships at least be informed. Also would think he has some decent contacts and good knowledge of decent youngsters at Dundee. Saints, etc.

But..... next season is no time for a rookie, especially after the last two years. Hope he does well but can’t help but think that all we need is a hedge and decent soup and you might as well call us Brechin.

As I previously said, I wanted him to stay on as a coach but give the manager job to someone more experienced.

However, maybe Gary was appointed because there was very little competition for the post. There were no names mentioned of who might be interested in the job except for Gary. No rumours on here or through the grapevine. Maybe Tony Docherty never even applied for the job and was just willing to help out an old friend until the end of the season.

So, maybe that's why Irvine is now the main man. Obviously I wish him the best and hope he can win a league title in his first full season of management.

It'll be interesting who he chooses for his backroom staff. I expect Wayne to stay as GK coach and Mark Farell as sports scientist/fitness coach. But not sure if Docherty will stay on now.

On 09/04/2021 at 22:50, Jupiter Jazz said:

I just dont get this argument. Jim Weir took us higher in League 1 than Dick ever managed while also playing better football.

"rampant egotist" 😂

That would be great, if Weir was appointed by said rampant egotist to replace Dick, and not to replace Bollan, who, be in no doubt, was not a better manager than Dick. 

And yes, Mr Donald was, is and always will be a rampant "look at me" egotist.

I think it's hard to make any real judgement on Irvine or his appointment until he has had the summer to get a squad together and a staff, and got some meaningful games under his belt. He got a free hit as caretaker, and they weren't terrible. 

It's also a tricky season for the club to bridge, because they can't afford to be sitting near the bottom come January and having to change manager again, but there's clearly little budget to secure high quality talent outside of loans. 

2 hours ago, RateofKnots said:

That would be great, if Weir was appointed by said rampant egotist to replace Dick, and not to replace Bollan, who, be in no doubt, was not a better manager than Dick. 

And yes, Mr Donald was, is and always will be a rampant "look at me" egotist.

Thanks for the quick reply!?

You said that the rot started when Dick was punted but Weir clearly ended that rot. In fact it could be said Bollan ended that rot and created another one.

Our problems now started from the break-up of the squad that finished 2nd. Baird, Easton, Reilly, Eckersley and Spencer all moved on and weren't able to be replaced. Malcolm as it turned out was an utterly calamitous appointment.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

2 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

As I previously said, I wanted him to stay on as a coach but give the manager job to someone more experienced.

However, maybe Gary was appointed because there was very little competition for the post. There were no names mentioned of who might be interested in the job except for Gary. No rumours on here or through the grapevine. Maybe Tony Docherty never even applied for the job and was just willing to help out an old friend until the end of the season.

So, maybe that's why Irvine is now the main man. Obviously I wish him the best and hope he can win a league title in his first full season of management.

It'll be interesting who he chooses for his backroom staff. I expect Wayne to stay as GK coach and Mark Farell as sports scientist/fitness coach. But not sure if Docherty will stay on now.

Robertson will be his assistant, Docherty willing to help out until Mcinnes gets a new gig

Guest bernardblack
2 hours ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Thanks for the quick reply!?

You said that the rot started when Dick was punted but Weir clearly ended that rot. In fact it could be said Bollan ended that rot and created another one.

Our problems now started from the break-up of the squad that finished 2nd. Baird, Easton, Reilly, Eckersley and Spencer all moved on and weren't able to be replaced. Malcolm as it turned out was an utterly calamitous appointment.

Correct. What a team that was, that we just couldn’t replace. 
If the season started 3/4 weeks later that year we would’ve won the league. 

3 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Correct. What a team that was, that we just couldn’t replace. 
If the season started 3/4 weeks later that year we would’ve won the league. 

Great midfield that was ripped out.  Not one of the proceeding midfielders would have got a regular spot in that team.