Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

15 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

George Shaw and Ray Farningham were ex-players too, and neither set the heather alight.

As it stands I can't see us staying up, we need a big January. If we're going to make a change in manager we need to do it now

I didn't mind Ray, I thought there was a plan there, but he took the money and went to Gretna. Shaw and Moffat teams were very poor.

I'm not convinced it needs a "big" January, it needs an effective January. 4 or 5 good additions to the squad, allied to them playing football about 20 yards further up the park would bring about an up tick in firstly performance and probably results.

One thing for sure is that Forfar wont survive in this league if we sit in deep and hope to score from very limited opportunities.

25 minutes ago, RateofKnots said:

It's quite nice to have a civilised discussion like this and not have 10 morons on the stand side at the dugout be declared as the majority opinion of the support.

I was thinking that, lots of well reasoned points by most here!

19 hours ago, RateofKnots said:

In my time as a match going supporter, we have had 3 ex forfar players as manager. The less said about Jim Moffats spell the better, and TCs spell ended on a sour note. I'd hate the same to happen to Malks.

In my time, obviously much longer, we’ve had Archie Knox, Alex Rae and Henry Hall as former players turned manager. The less said about HH the better but Archie and Alex were probably the best two managers we’ve had though Doug Houston, Tommy Campbell and Dick Campbell run them close. Jim Moffat wasn’t as bad as his stats suggest. He had zero budget and inherited a failing squad, he did, however, sign Foxy.

27 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

In my time, obviously much longer, we’ve had Archie Knox, Alex Rae and Henry Hall as former players turned manager. The less said about HH the better but Archie and Alex were probably the best two managers we’ve had though Doug Houston, Tommy Campbell and Dick Campbell run them close. Jim Moffat wasn’t as bad as his stats suggest. He had zero budget and inherited a failing squad, he did, however, sign Foxy.

The fact that shaw and Moffats spells were back to back was half the problem. The 2000s weren't a great decade in terms of appointments, though there were many.

The 2000s were not a great time for us, Ray Stewart - disaster, Brian Fairley - disaster, Neil Cooper - overrated (had a huge budget but couldn’t deliver, I know some here thought the world of him but bonnie football is one thing, success is another. After that we were in financial free fall for a while, Moffat’s reign and the first couple of seasons for Dick. Then came a certain former chairman, who, to be fair, did some great behind the scenes stuff with the business side but his dislike of DC and his liking of GB were not impressive traits in my eyes. I said it then and I’ll say it again, Dick should’ve been heading upstairs to a Director of Football style role and Petrie move up to head coach. Instead we had to endure the Bollan period. I actually think GB is a decent manager and is a nice guy, he was not the right fit here. Jim Weir, a short term fix but he’s had initial success everywhere but has no longevity, and I can’t forgive his treatment of Sellars. As said earlier, I hope Malcs turns it around, January will tell, fingers crossed for him and us.

1 hour ago, theSilverFox said:

The 2000s were not a great time for us, Ray Stewart - disaster, Brian Fairley - disaster, Neil Cooper - overrated (had a huge budget but couldn’t deliver, I know some here thought the world of him but bonnie football is one thing, success is another. After that we were in financial free fall for a while, Moffat’s reign and the first couple of seasons for Dick. Then came a certain former chairman, who, to be fair, did some great behind the scenes stuff with the business side but his dislike of DC and his liking of GB were not impressive traits in my eyes. I said it then and I’ll say it again, Dick should’ve been heading upstairs to a Director of Football style role and Petrie move up to head coach. Instead we had to endure the Bollan period. I actually think GB is a decent manager and is a nice guy, he was not the right fit here. Jim Weir, a short term fix but he’s had initial success everywhere but has no longevity, and I can’t forgive his treatment of Sellars. As said earlier, I hope Malcs turns it around, January will tell, fingers crossed for him and us.

I'm one of those that rose tint Coopers spell. You are right, the budget was (comparatively) huge and there was no league success, but the football was brilliant. 

I've spoken with Bollan a few times, I think he took on a poisoned chalice. Donald made sure that unless he performed miracles, he was never going to go over with the support. He didn't help himself with his treatment of some Campbell favourites, and I think if he was given his time again, it would go very differently.

Like you say, Donald was commercially successful, but Dick didn't suit his "brand". He was childish and embarrassing with his treatment of the Campbells and their staff, which I'm sure has cost us in terms of players and staff since. 

2 minutes ago, Deeloon said:

Home tie v the flare throwing Rosie Posie, see how we get on tomorrow v junior opposition, great build up

A wee chance to put the Rose back in the box just like a couple of years ago 😂. No idea about Forfar but Linlithgow not as strong as they were last time.