Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

58 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

34 isn't old is it? Dods was 39 the season we chucked the play off final.

Anderson was outstanding for Raith against us last season but after last summer's signings I'm wary of saying too much.

Would take Dods from that season ahead of any defender we have had since.

1 minute ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Yeah he was solid in his second season and a great organiser. 

Yeah, told Malcolm and Travis where to be and read the game brilliantly despite running like Robocop. If Anderson is half as good will be happy. 

4 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Can’t wait to see  Steven Anderson get rainbow flicked by Thomas Robert 🤪. Nah in all seriousness, great signing for you guys! Looked solid for Raith last season when we played them. 

I've seen Steven Anderson, in the Premiership, do a step over to beat a full back and then swing in one of the best crosses I've seen.

A staggering feat considering the rest of his 16 year St Johnstone career seen him just melt the ball up the channels every time he got the ball.

5 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

It must have been the two year deal that sealed it as Ando could still easily be playing in the championship...No offence,  but he's way too good for league one..Ando is s no nonsense old fashioned stopper who moans like f**k and hates to lose.

I would imagine For far have hedged there bets here thinking if or when Malcolm screws up this season,  Ando will be in place to get the gig. ,   clever forward thinking no lose situation.

Guest bernardblack
From those gone I’d have kept Coupe and also McGuff if Hoban hadn’t signed.

Hopefully Bain stays but can’t see that happening

From the other three that they’re discussing with I’d keep Travis and Robertson but let Irvine go

McGuff being released puts more confidence in McCallum hanging around

5 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

Find it staggering we would offer terms to Bain, Tapping, Irvine and Robertson, was no one watching us? Fresh legs and ideas needed for midfield if we are to improve.

Would disagree on Tapping who i'd persevere with but I'm amazed at the rest. 

Just now, Jupiter Jazz said:

Would disagree on Tapping who i'd persevere with but I'm amazed at the rest. 

I kinda get that, though I found him pretty disappointing (genuinely cannot think of 1 really good game he had last season), was more meaning we would offer to all four of them, Irvine and Robertston particularly offered absolutely nothing last season.

I would have offered Baino a deal, think he is better than Coll, but with Meechan & Coll in the side I totally understand Baino looking elsewhere.

Tapping could've been good but he did get relegated with Brechin so no major loss.

Robertson being offered a new deal, understandable he's decent bench player who can fill in at defence or mid, if he turns it down I wouldn't be bothered.

Irvine being offered a new contract. NO! Waste of time.

McGuff leaving - I think McCallum is definitely staying, so him and Hoban are better options than Sam.

Aitken leaving - I really liked Matty but it's quite clear he's not League One standard, he'll probably disappear into the Juniors or leave football altogether.

Coupe leaving - This I am disappointed, I'm a big fan of Coupe's workrate and speed and how he liked to run at defences, something no-one else did last season. Yes he couldn't finish at all but I'd have kept him. However, he doesn't appear to be a Malky type player, I think he was a project of Jim Weir's to try and nurture.

Looking at our squad now, we need a central midfielder or two and a right winger (unless Muzza is going to be our right winger but I prefer him in the centre) and squad depth.