Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

Guest bernardblack

There’s a deeper issue if Kirkpatrick remains on the bench.

Irvine, Doris and McKenzie need dropped as it’s so stale right now.

Without Doris up front we would have no strength in the final third but he’s getting no support as the rest of the team look happy to just sit back

Apart from Gary Irvine who wants to be anywhere but the position he’s meant to be playing in

Irvine and Tapping are the two I would drop first but they seem to be undroppable

Guest bernardblack

Tapping actually tries to play football though. I’d have him in the middle of the park over Irvine every time.

Can you blame them? Has there been any improvement and/or signs of better things to come?

And btw this fan wasn't 'kept onside' with the appointment.
Things are worse than before, but as ive said previously, because he's a former loon we're not allowed to say mean things.

I wish i had the mentality of others to accept relegation as if it doesn't matter.

Surely by following these clueless fuds around the country week in week out we're entitled to voice our displeasure?

Things are worse than before, but as ive said previously, because he's a former loon we're not allowed to say mean things.

I wish i had the mentality of others to accept relegation as if it doesn't matter.

Surely by following these clueless fuds around the country week in week out we're entitled to voice our displeasure?

I agree, I like Malks, but the appointment of a guy on the verge of getting the punt from a team two leagues below was always gonna be a risk. It’s one that’s not paid off so far

Anyone know if there are still commemorative bricks available. I've emailed but despite our "commercial director" overload have received zero response regards this which I find a tad disappointing...

Commercial directors haven’t been seen at station park for a long long time unsure if they have left ! A certain director wanted rid

Seems like quite a few have given up already with the management team , wether we are relegated or not there will be no changes (see Bollan) so we just have to hope that Malcs & Co can turn this around somehow but there is no doubt we are in freefall atm.
I said after Jim left that we needed an experienced man in, boring pick possibly but the club decided to opt for the easy-keep fans onside option and it appears to have backfired slightly.
As our defence isn't good enough we have to focus on attacking teams to have any chance of survival, hopefully we change the set up and the we we play very quickly.
I never shouted for Bollans head and i certainly won't be shouting for Malcs...leave that to the morons to the right of the home dugout.

The language and shouts from the disabled area is something else , they picked on the young lads for less

1 hour ago, loon74 said:

The language and shouts from the disabled area is something else , they picked on the young lads for less

Correct...something has to be done, surely Brechin would happily take them?

Watched you lads against Dumbarton mid-week. Got to say there has been no progression under the Malcolm regime, very strange appointment and an appointment made on emotion rather than sense.  Hope you guys get out the rut your in. 

5 minutes ago, speedframe said:

In truth any managerial appointment is a risk. Replication of previous success / failure cannot be assumed, they are all a gamble.

It is also a risk to carry on with something that is obviously not working, just ask Brechin folk.

Of course every appointment comes with a risk, but it's the level of risk involved that you need to be wary of. Malcolm appeared to be quite a risky appointment whilst the club were in a risky situation. Obviously you can only choose a manager from whoever is available at the time, but I can't help but think an older head with experience of relegation battles might have been a less risky option than appointing a complete rookie.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Of course every appointment comes with a risk, but it's the level of risk involved that you need to be wary of. Malcolm appeared to be quite a risky appointment whilst the club were in a risky situation. Obviously you can only choose a manager from whoever is available at the time, but I can't help but think an older head with experience of relegation battles might have been a less risky option than appointing a complete rookie.

It’s a difficult one. Last time we went with experience with Weir and he not only kept us up but got us highest league finish in years. Time before that we ‘overlooked’ Stewart Petrie to bring in experienced Gary Bollan. That was not a success.

Edited by nofixedability

Just now, nofixedability said:

It’s a difficult one. Last time we went with experience with Weir and he not only kept us up but got us highest league finish in years. Time before that we ‘overlooked’ Stewart Petrie to bring in experiences Gary Bollan. That was not a success.

It's about what you need at the time though, not just old = bad and young = good. When Dumbarton were sat at the bottom of the second tier without a win and as good as relegated, we had basically no risk in appointing our next gaffer - we were as good as down and any new manager would be afforded at least another year to sort things out in League 1. We went with a young and ambitious guy in Murray and it paid off, largely as I think he was working without pressure. When we came down and Aitken had us mightily close to relegation from League 1 we needed someone who could come in and steady the ship, we brought in Duffy and done exactly that.

There's no hard and fast rule, but I would think letting a young manager work in an environment where any mistakes they make aren't too costly is better than handing them a salvage job in a limited time period. I'd say Petrie was allowed to build his squad at Montrose largely without pressure to succeed too.

Stuart Malcolm was always going to be a Forfar manager at some point, however, I think unfortunately it has come a few years too soon. 

On a side note, I was chatting with a couple of friends of mine and we were trying to think who's under contract for Forfar next season, we came up with McCallum, Barr & Coll. Judging by that Malky has to recruit an entire new squad for our League Two campaign, which probably isn't a bad thing!

Stuart Malcolm was always going to be a Forfar manager at some point, however, I think unfortunately it has come a few years too soon. 
On a side note, I was chatting with a couple of friends of mine and we were trying to think who's under contract for Forfar next season, we came up with McCallum, Barr & Coll. Judging by that Malky has to recruit an entire new squad for our League Two campaign, which probably isn't a bad thing!

There is absolutely no chance McCallum would stay around in league two.
He’d easily get snapped up by a league one or championship side regardless of if he was under contract or not.