Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

Not surprised at Weir's resignation. It's been clear for weeks that something is wrong behind the scenes. Smith is clearly not what is needed but he'll be offered the post at least in the short term. There are some players who are clearly not motivated but who, on their day, have the potential to lift this team. The problem is who'll have the drive and people skills to get this group of players to deliver their potential? 

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Not surprised at Weir's resignation. It's been clear for weeks that something is wrong behind the scenes. Smith is clearly not what is needed but he'll be offered the post at least in the short term. There are some players who are clearly not motivated but who, on their day, have the potential to lift this team. The problem is who'll have the drive and people skills to get this group of players to deliver their potential? 

And actually want the job. 

Guest bernardblack

This isn’t really sitting well with me. It was odd when Smith was brought in as number two initially....getting the feeling Weir was forced out

16 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

This isn’t really sitting well with me. It was odd when Smith was brought in as number two initially....getting the feeling Weir was forced out

I've got a different theory that Weir told the Board he wasn't going to be able to continue but would in the short term. They looked at Irvine / Sellars and didn't see them as able to be manager so brought in Smith while Weir 'worked his notice'. Then last night's statement and after 'due process' we end up with Barry Smith as manager and are on the rocky road to the Highland League.

No evidence for above just my guesswork.

1 hour ago, nofixedability said:

I've got a different theory that Weir told the Board he wasn't going to be able to continue but would in the short term. They looked at Irvine / Sellars and didn't see them as able to be manager so brought in Smith while Weir 'worked his notice'. Then last night's statement and after 'due process' we end up with Barry Smith as manager and are on the rocky road to the Highland League.

Sounds like very sound guess work. 

Especially considering one of the recent additions to the board. 

I've got a different theory that Weir told the Board he wasn't going to be able to continue but would in the short term. They looked at Irvine / Sellars and didn't see them as able to be manager so brought in Smith while Weir 'worked his notice'.

I’d go along with that too. Far too convenient, the amount of changes in such a short period ahead of his “surprise” resignation.

9 hours ago, dee_62 said:

I’d go along with that too. Far too convenient, the amount of changes in such a short period ahead of his “surprise” resignation.

High level board meeting to discuss the strategy for appointing a new manager. 

"Right lads , how many days do we give it before we announce Smithy?"

This result and overall performance proved that the new management team whoever they may be and the Forfar Directors hope to make an appointment in the next 24 hours will have a big task on their hands to lift the morale and the matchday mentality of the squad.

It is probably a blessing in disguise that we have no competitive game next weekend and therefore the new man at the helm will get a handful of training sessions to hopefully get his side in better shape prior to the Scottish tie at Dumbarton on the 23rd of the month.

From the Club's website