Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

I was asking a Dundee fan where Irvine plays best
Has he not predominantly been a right back most of his career?
Gary's a cracking guy tbf, Airdrie lad, 100% committed to football and you won't get a lack of effort from him. Obviously In the twilight of his career now and probably only a couple years left in the tank but I'd 100% have been more than happy to have signed him in the summer.

Guest bernardblack

I was worried about how light the squad was a few weeks ago, but the gaffer has sorted that out. Sensible signings and looking forward to seeing them play

7 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

With Irvine and Eckerslie, Weir shows why he can be Manager of the Month. Two excellent signings which will really firm up the defence. I wonder if this will allow Jamie Bain a more roving role to feed Easton and Baird?

Bain is in his proper position now, doubt he will be feeding Easton atm....team picks itself.

7 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Cedwyn Scott signs on loan for the Loons till the end of the season from Dundee.

Surprised with this to be honest, thought Matty Aitken would have been useful enough for the bench.

I really like Matty, he did a massive turn for us last season contributing a few goals and points that were desperately needed in the closing games.

It would be a real shame to see him edged out, he's got a fair bit of potential.

I was worried about how light the squad was a few weeks ago, but the gaffer has sorted that out. Sensible signings and looking forward to seeing them play
Eckerslie has been very good so far and the defence has noticeably steadied since he arrived.

On 2/5/2019 at 07:36, bernardblack said:

I was asking a Dundee fan where Irvine plays best

He was a full back for his whole Dundee career. There was a game where he started at centre back and two or three games in midfield so in almost 200 games for the club, it was a rare sight.

When we first signed him in 2011, he was a key part of the Dundee side who went into administration and hit great form. A young Irvine was a fantastic and dynamic full back who would often pick the ball up and drive into the centre of the park. When we initially went up, due to the Rangers debacle, he (and the team) really wasn't ready for top flight football and despite a few really good performances (towards the end of the season mostly), he struggled a bit and tended to struggle defending.

When we went back down, he matured into a really solid and consistent player who learned to defend very well. He wasn't really appreciated by the Dundee fans but when we tried to replace him with a younger player (Paul McGinn), Irvine kind of reinvented himself as a steady defender and periodically worked his way back into the team and started to fill in at left back where we were weak. Oddly, putting him at left back started a run of a few goals where he just seemed to end up in goal scoring positions all the time - no one could quite understand it.

I've no idea what his fitness levels are like now and it'd be disrespectful to your level to claim any old player can just come in and instantly be a star but if he is sufficiently fit, I think he's a good head to have in a team as he is a really good professional and although he was prone to his odd poor game, he was generally very consistent. We never really appreciated him until we started trying to replace him and found it harder than realised. Eventually, Paul McGinn and Kevin Holt matured into decent top flight players and then we had young Cammy Kerr who come back from a loan at Peterhead (where he had two spells) and impressed on his return in a New Years Day derby win so I don't think we could justify holding onto him when he could get a contract elsewhere.

Best in the middle of the park?

Apologies, only just seen this now. He always played right back for us and was very solid there. Not sure what his legs are like these days but I would imagine he’ll have been signed as a right back. Where did he play in the game against Raith?