Come On Ye Mo - Montrose FC 2018/19

Alright lads, What’s Ryan Harrington like? Could he do a job in the championship? Rumours that we have offered him a deal following his release from Aberdeen.
All the best for the coming season. 
Yes I think he could do a job in the championship. Took a while for him to settle into the team but was really good once he got used to things. Was hoping we could have signed him but wouldn't be suprised if he goes FT. Wish him all the best.

• 1 year later...

Good morning, I do not know if this is the right place to post this, but I did not find another place to ask fans of Montrose Fc, I am looking for information about a former player, signed since Aberdeen in 1991, this is Ian Robertson (14 October 1966 ), it seems that he played as a right back or a left back, does anyone remember him?

2 hours ago, JmSG said:

Good morning, I do not know if this is the right place to post this, but I did not find another place to ask fans of Montrose Fc, I am looking for information about a former player, signed since Aberdeen in 1991, this is Ian Robertson (14 October 1966 ), it seems that he played as a right back or a left back, does anyone remember him?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Robertson_(footballer,_born_1966)

if I remember correctly he worked in a sports shop in Aberdeen that was owned by one of Bryan Keith's mates. It was nearly 30 years ago though, so I could be talking shite.

21 hours ago, JmSG said:

He actually stays in Montrose now as well,seen him at quite a few games last year and is always at the former players events that they hold through the year.

20 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Robertson_(footballer,_born_1966)

if I remember correctly he worked in a sports shop in Aberdeen that was owned by one of Bryan Keith's mates. It was nearly 30 years ago though, so I could be talking shite.

Search for information on different websites, on wikipedia it comes as a right side, on the Aberdeen website as a left back, played more time in Montrose Fc, I say the same thing someone remembers and could get me out of doubt.

On 07/06/2020 at 10:38, JmSG said:

Depends what information you are looking for because it would of course exclude personal stuff. General information is Ok. He signed for Montrose for the start of the 1990/1 season just after Montrose were promoted. In the first home programme of the season it said 'The most well known of the summer signings is utility man Ian Robertson, signed on a free from Aberdeen. The 24 year old had been at Pittodrie since 1983 when he left school but was unable to break into the first team, although that was hardly surprising considering the dominance of McKimmie, McLeish, Miller and David Robertson in the Dons back four. Robertson was perhaps best known as a left back although he can play anywhere in defence or midfield, It is ironic that following his namesake's (David Robertson) departure to Rangers Ian might have been able to make the Aberdeen No3  shirt his own in 1991/2.' As a club Montrose should be privileged to have a player of Ian's ability on their books as many believe he could have done a fine job for a number of Premier League clubs.'

He made 14 apearances in 91/2 as No 4. until losing his place following a sending off. In the following season 1992/3 he started in a No.3  sweeper role but then became a more familiar left back in a change of formation and made another 39 appearances, and scored 1 goal. In 93/4 he made 41 apperances and scored 2 more goals. In 94/5 he made another 41 appearances and scored 1 more goal still playing as a full back but now a No.2.  In 95/6 he made 12 appearances plus 1 as sub. I reckon his last game for Montrose was at home to Stenhousemuir on 2nd Dec 1995 and I can't remember where he went after that - he might have retired.

Hope this helps.

On 13/06/2020 at 22:12, MOFOREVER said:

Depends what information you are looking for because it would of course exclude personal stuff. General information is Ok. He signed for Montrose for the start of the 1990/1 season just after Montrose were promoted. In the first home programme of the season it said 'The most well known of the summer signings is utility man Ian Robertson, signed on a free from Aberdeen. The 24 year old had been at Pittodrie since 1983 when he left school but was unable to break into the first team, although that was hardly surprising considering the dominance of McKimmie, McLeish, Miller and David Robertson in the Dons back four. Robertson was perhaps best known as a left back although he can play anywhere in defence or midfield, It is ironic that following his namesake's (David Robertson) departure to Rangers Ian might have been able to make the Aberdeen No3  shirt his own in 1991/2.' As a club Montrose should be privileged to have a player of Ian's ability on their books as many believe he could have done a fine job for a number of Premier League clubs.'

He made 14 apearances in 91/2 as No 4. until losing his place following a sending off. In the following season 1992/3 he started in a No.3  sweeper role but then became a more familiar left back in a change of formation and made another 39 appearances, and scored 1 goal. In 93/4 he made 41 apperances and scored 2 more goals. In 94/5 he made another 41 appearances and scored 1 more goal still playing as a full back but now a No.2.  In 95/6 he made 12 appearances plus 1 as sub. I reckon his last game for Montrose was at home to Stenhousemuir on 2nd Dec 1995 and I can't remember where he went after that - he might have retired.

Hope this helps.

yes, thank you very much, I'm grateful, this is the information was looking about his sports career. Thanks.

On 13/06/2020 at 13:12, MOFOREVER said:

Hope this helps.

I met him in hospital once - he was in the bed next to me - maybe 20 years ago? From what I remember of our chat, he retired from the pro game after his last appearance with us. 

Might be a while away before we see any players arriving at Links park due to the current situation and to be quite honest we only need about 3-4 max with the squad from last season signing up again.Who would you like to see Montrose sign in the coming weeks?For me another striker,winger and a centre midfielder is what I think they need.

Striker

Mark Mcguigan from Stenny id like to see us make a move for again,under contract till 2021 so possibly a stumbling block.We tried to sign him before and sp does seem to persist even if they say no first time around i.e Lewis Hawke and Russel Mclean spring to mind.Good player on his day big and powerful sort of striker a think we need.

Midfield

Paul Paton recently released from the pars,a think he would be a good addition if he was willing to step down a league,Good battler in the middle of the park would bring good experience to the squad.A would think their would be a few clubs after his signature and wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Queens Park the way their signings are going and having previously played for them.

Winger

A wouldn't say he is a winger but could fill in their but noticed Chris Antoniazzi was released from Aberdeen last week,he would be a good addition especially after having another season in league 2 with Cove.Really talented player on his day but can be frustrating at times but a top player when he is on his game.Wouldnt be surprised if he ended up back at Cove or even Petrhead.Another winger I did like was Connor Coupe at Forfar no idea if he has signed a new deal or not but always thought he was fast and direct anytime against Montrose good player on his day also.

Just my opinion on a couple players id like to see.....

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong Petrie, thankfully...

Headline on my phone BBC News app: Petrie steps down for heal..

(Picture was a giveaway though.)

No news is good news on the Mo front but it feels like a l-o-n-g time till October!

BBC News - Rod Petrie: Scottish FA president steps down temporarily for health reasons
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53240830

Screenshot_20200701-103617.png

Edited by Brummo
Adding screenshot