Come On Ye Mo - Montrose FC 2018/19

The SFA site lists Montrose v Dunfermline as a friendly yesterday, but I can't see anything on either teams' website or their twitter feeds - did it take place?
Nah it got cancelled last week,we now play Alloa away tonight.

It’s Paddy Cregg and aye he was. No sure why Mo83 is calling him Gregg tbh. 🤨
The app thing that Peterhead use for their games had him down as Gregg which confused a few people at the game, including myself.

Solid enough performance. Could easily been 2 up inside 5 mins. Unusually 2 mistakes from Dillo and a good passing move cost 3 goals.

Ref spoiled it 10 mins into 2nd half sending Cregg off for an incident I never saw or people around me. Fair play to Jim Goodwin who took someone off to make it 10 a side but spoiled the flow of the game.

Martin looked good up front though but obvious again we need a couple of players who can take half a chance.

We've lost 30 goals in Sanny Gasher and Lewy that need to be replaced but in SP we trust

Edited by hellohellohowdoudo

56 minutes ago, endieinreekie said:

See paddy cregg has signed

Looked good in the Peterhead game and was looking even more fired up at Alloa on Tuesday night until the referee politely asked him to leave the pitch - he'd only been on for 15 minutes. A tangle with an Alloa player led the referee to think Paddy stamped on the lad but it was right in front of me. Nothing to the tackle or the tangle but Paddy got up first and fell over the lad who was also trying to get up. Looked like a stamp but I don't think intentional. No red card shown so probably won't be suspended but ruined the game as Alloa voluntarily reduced to 10 men as well. Not what either team wanted when pitch time was the priority and loads of subs were ready to come on. Hope the Ref has regrets as he could easily asked the manager to simply replace Paddy - that surely was a more sensible move in a friendly game - and it was friendly.  Alloa are a nice friendly wee club, hope they do well this season.

Whilst on holiday in Italy with my wife a lovely couple from Northern Ireland sat down at our table and we struck up a conversation which inevitably swung round to football as it is World Cup time after all. The gentleman in that infectious NI accent says to me “ you’ll never guess who I support “?
I ask who , he replies, the mighty Montrose but I haven’t been over for a long time. I was able to fill him in on the recent history and we parted congenially. Just goes to show the international language of football is still alive and that Scottish football in particular still has something to offer no matter how much we allow it to be ridiculed. We need to talk our game up as they do in other countries and not be so reticent.

2 hours ago, Emfaefifeyahoorsur said:

Whilst on holiday in Italy with my wife a lovely couple from Northern Ireland sat down at our table and we struck up a conversation which inevitably swung round to football as it is World Cup time after all. The gentleman in that infectious NI accent says to me “ you’ll never guess who I support “?
I ask who , he replies, the mighty Montrose but I haven’t been over for a long time. I was able to fill him in on the recent history and we parted congenially. Just goes to show the international language of football is still alive and that Scottish football in particular still has something to offer no matter how much we allow it to be ridiculed. We need to talk our game up as they do in other countries and not be so reticent.

Quite agree. I know it's a matter of opinion but so long as we have divisions as small as they are the opportunity for scots to play in Tier 1 of the SPFL is far too limited especially when you take into account the number of non-scots players in there. IMO we must have a top division of at least 16 and preferably 18 teams. OK some might get scunnered by Celtic but so what, they won't get scunnered by everybody and the other 16 or 17 teams would in time level out against each other. We must have more scots players playing at the highest level and in Scotland. Dare I say it, Celtic are actually a problem in the SPFL and I don't mean that unkindly towards them, that's just the way it is because they are so far ahead of the rest.

OK we might say what do we care at Montrose level but we should all want the best for our national team.

The problem with a 16 or 18 team league is that there's a rule that there must be 4 Old Firm games a season and that means 68 games.

9 minutes ago, MOFOREVER said:

Quite agree. I know it's a matter of opinion but so long as we have divisions as small as they are the opportunity for scots to play in Tier 1 of the SPFL is far too limited especially when you take into account the number of non-scots players in there. IMO we must have a top division of at least 16 and preferably 18 teams. OK some might get scunnered by Celtic but so what, they won't get scunnered by everybody and the other 16 or 17 teams would in time level out against each other. We must have more scots players playing at the highest level and in Scotland. Dare I say it, Celtic are actually a problem in the SPFL and I don't mean that unkindly towards them, that's just the way it is because they are so far ahead of the rest.

OK we might say what do we care at Montrose level but we should all want the best for our national team.

You'll need to find a way to get round the rule that the Old Firm must play each other at least 4 times each season.

On 04/07/2018 at 09:05, hellohellohowdoudo said:

Solid enough performance. Could easily been 2 up inside 5 mins. Unusually 2 mistakes from Dillo and a good passing move cost 3 goals.

Ref spoiled it 10 mins into 2nd half sending Cregg off for an incident I never saw or people around me. Fair play to Jim Goodwin who took someone off to make it 10 a side but spoiled the flow of the game.

Martin looked good up front though but obvious again we need a couple of players who can take half a chance.

We've lost 30 goals in Sanny Gasher and Lewy that need to be replaced but in SP we trust

Disappointing that someone got sent off in a friendly, for an unknown incident.  I have a vague recollections of being at a friendly years ago can not remember the teams think it was at either Montrose or Dundee and it got a bit heated.  The player who started was very quickly subbed, I was later told the ref told the manager either the player was subbed or he was sent off.  If the case could the ref not do the same here.  Out of interest who was the ref. 

Bit of a come down from Rankin or Flood tbh. Done absolutely nothing at Forfar and you’d think you lads already had good options in there.
Only played 7 times at Forfar....