Come On Ye Mo - Montrose FC 2018/19

The Dundee young striker Henvey on loan rumour went very quiet. With The Dees signing a new striker and Henvey with another year with them, I think he would be perfect for us for a loan until the turn of the year at least.

The scene: some time in the early 1980's. The northbound platform of Montrose railway station.

Opposite, a scruffy, ramshackle wood and brick station building with ticket office, waiting room, toilets, and other things I know nothing about.

A dirty looking picket fence with slats missing, separating the platform from the drained mudflats of the basin behind it. The pungent, salty reek of the backies.

Up ahead, the rusting cast-iron Hornby style bridge that offers up a reassuring clang with each footstep.

Neglected planters with straggly once were roses "embellish" the dowdiness.

Scanning south to Rossie Island, no train in sight,  just a raw wind.

All that's missing is dust and tumbleweed to complete the perfect picture of the happeningless wild east. 

Any more news on the transfer front?

Edited by Brummo
Olfactory

Not yet Brummo but might have a better idea when we see how (if?) many trialists are on show in today's friendly.

Also many player contracts end 30/June so might be a few being anxious about getting fixed up, especially full timers having to drop down to part time. Squeaky bum time but we must try not to get down-hearted about friendly and league cup results. We got scunnered last season in most.

As competitive you are gonna get for a 'friendly' but played in a decent spirit. Neither side looked particularly dangerous so it was going to be a half chance taken - and it was. Peterhead had McAllister, Montrose didn't. That was the difference. SP and everyone else knows we need a striker so I won't go on about that.

Two trialists today but one was our own Danny Cavanagh who is out of contract so played as a trialist - not the answer to our problems though he tried hard. Other trialist Paddy Cregg played in midfield but only first 45 minutes - looked OK but maybe short of pitch time. A third trialist came on with about 15 minutes to go and slotted into RB - again not the answer in my opinion.

Foxy, Masson and Seagull all on hols so not playing. Nothing gained today except pitch time and fitness levels. Still work to do as we must look like scoring goals. To be fair we did create a few chances - but didn't score.

Line up was Millar, Allan, Steeves, Dillon, Bolo, Ferguson, Cregg, Callaghan, Cavanagh, Rennie, Ross Campbell. Subs who all came on second half, Redman, Johnston, Webster, Skelly (yes, Skelly), Watson, unknown trialist and Millar. Yes, Millar in goal and the same Millar as sub goalie - apparently we didn't have another goalie so if Millar had got injured he could have come back on and subbed himself - got it! For the record P'Heid won 1-0.

As competitive you are gonna get for a 'friendly' but played in a decent spirit. Neither side looked particularly dangerous so it was going to be a half chance taken - and it was. Peterhead had McAllister, Montrose didn't. That was the difference. SP and everyone else knows we need a striker so I won't go on about that.
Two trialists today but one was our own Danny Cavanagh who is out of contract so played as a trialist - not the answer to our problems though he tried hard. Other trialist Paddy Cregg played in midfield but only first 45 minutes - looked OK but maybe short of pitch time. A third trialist came on with about 15 minutes to go and slotted into RB - again not the answer in my opinion.
Foxy, Masson and Seagull all on hols so not playing. Nothing gained today except pitch time and fitness levels. Still work to do as we must look like scoring goals. To be fair we did create a few chances - but didn't score.
Line up was Millar, Allan, Steeves, Dillon, Bolo, Ferguson, Cregg, Callaghan, Cavanagh, Rennie, Ross Campbell. Subs who all came on second half, Redman, Johnston, Webster, Skelly (yes, Skelly), Watson, unknown trialist and Millar. Yes, Millar in goal and the same Millar as sub goalie - apparently we didn't have another goalie so if Millar had got injured he could have come back on and subbed himself - got it! For the record P'Heid won 1-0.
The "unknown trialist" was Stuart MacFarlane who's our sports scientist or something along those lines. He played a few friendlies last season too I'm sure.

Alloa away tonight, I would think Paddy Gregg will get another run out after Saturday.Anyone heard of any other Trialists? Still looking for a striker or two so hopefully we might see a new face tonight.

I might be mistaking and thinking of someone else but was he not at Falkirk at one point in his career.
Yeah he was at falkirk a while back also played for Hibs,St Johnstone, St mirren aswell.Forfar signed him last last year but he only managed 7 games,looked good enough on Saturday will see how it pan's out.

5 minutes ago, mo83 said:
9 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:
I might be mistaking and thinking of someone else but was he not at Falkirk at one point in his career.

Yeah he was at falkirk a while back also played for Hibs,St Johnstone, St mirren aswell.Forfar signed him last last year but he only managed 7 games,looked good enough on Saturday will see how it pan's out.

I remember him being at Falkirk, I could not recall where else had been off memory.  If I remember correctly he was pretty solid, I think he should be a decent signing if it happens.

Is Dillon still with you for next season?

Edited by CaspianChris

I remember him being at Falkirk, I could not recall where else had been off memory.  If I remember correctly he was pretty solid, I think he should be a decent signing if it happens.
Is Dillon still with you for next season?
Looked good enough on Saturday like I said so fingers crossed.Yeah Sean Dillon is with us just signed a contract extension, been a great signing for the club.

Just now, mo83 said:

Looked good enough on Saturday like I said so fingers crossed.Yeah Sean Dillon is with us just signed a contract extension, been a great signing for the club.

There's a difference in looking good in a pre-season kickabout and looking good in a competitive game though. He was a massive letdown for us, well off the pace. 

There's a difference in looking good in a pre-season kickabout and looking good in a competitive game though. He was a massive letdown for us, well off the pace. 
Like a said we will wait and see how it goes.Ive heard the same about Bolo and Gary Fraser over the years from opposition fans and look how that turned out!

Just now, mo83 said:

Like a said we will wait and see how it goes.Ive heard the same about Bolo and Gary Fraser over the years from opposition fans and look how that turned out!

Surely you have enough similar midfielders anyway?

Big Bolo fan by the way, he's very underrated.

Surely you have enough similar midfielders anyway?
Big Bolo fan by the way, he's very underrated.
Yeah we have a good few centre midfield player's, Sp likes to change thing's around and have good cover for positions over the course of the season.