Come On Ye Mo - Montrose FC 2018/19

We desperately need an experienced centre forward who can hold the ball up and allow the midfield to get up in support. Easy to say but not so easy to find. Is it a lack of finance or location that is the problem? Add that to us being punished for defensive mistakes .. which we got away with last season .. and I fear we’re in for a long hard battle to avoid the bottom two slots. Frustrating thing is that we’re not far away. As Moforever said, had we been a bit more clinical at both ends we could’ve won all the league games other than the one against the Smokies.

On 09/09/2018 at 12:17, Gogs Grog said:

I do enjoy reading the mini meltdowns on other clubs threads when we beat them.

:rolleyes:

On 15/09/2018 at 17:14, Brummo said:

Bottom of the league! :(

Come on Montrose, get a grip. We waited all this time for promotion, please don't let us down. No return into the abyss of Scottish League Two for the Mo.

On 15/09/2018 at 20:37, VillaKnollBoy said:

Dumbarton are rank rotten, three points dropped.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 08:33, Gogs Grog said:
On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:57, The Moonster said:

If we get a result against Raith, it will be fun. That's a big if mind.

I think it is now time for Jordan to be given a run in the team.A small section of the supporters have tried to turn Fleming into a legend and am starting to think he thinks he is.He is called the Gull  because he flaps at everything. SP has stood by to many players from last season and his signings have been very poor.Why sign Skelly them loan him out?Our  midfield are all of the same ilk,nothing creative or inventive.Why change a team that won at Dumbarton the previous week?I still have faith in SP to get us out of our position,there are still plenty of players out there with no contracts,bring some in and ship some out,dont leave I till January,could be to late by then.Any player who wears pink boots better have an A game,ours does not                

Totally agree with you Millar has been by far the better keeper this season through all the pre season games and cup games. Flem had a good season last year, but a lot was down to the defence and some unreal luck.

We should have stuck with the same teams against Dumbarton. I probably would have played Dillon.

We have good players that aren’t getting a decent run or chance. Danny doesn’t seem to get a good run.

On 9/16/2018 at 22:47, VillaKnollBoy said:

Heard that we have two players incoming this week. One a forward and the other a midfielder.

Hope you're right about the forward as we need experience there. Somebody like Tosher, remember him? Not very mobile (neither was Sanny) but could handle himself against big defenders and allow space alongside and behind him by keeping defenders otherwise occupied. IMO we don't need more youngsters, we need experience to compete in L1 and consolidate whilst some of the younger players already on the books mature into it. OK you might say they won't mature into it if they don't play but the priority right now is consolidation and survival in L1. I've not missed any game home or away this season but without wishing to be negative I'm staring at a relegation battle unless things change soon. For instance we have Raith away this Saturday probably with Bolo suspended and Matty Allan out injured therefore no height in a defence which has already given arial goals away - Stranraer and Dumbarton to name just two places. Watson might have to come into the back line for his height alone but I'm thinking the last time that happened was Clyde away last season and we know what happened then. Watson needs to be in midfield - he had a cracking game the first time at Dumbarton.

Masson and Redman both had off days at Dumbarton last Saturday but if they can get back to form and support the front two we can look a threat. That didn't happen last time at Dumbarton.

I don't think we need another midfielder unless he's an experienced midfield general of the attacking type.

We need to bear in mind the size of our squad as well. Good that a couple have gone out on loan but a few more could do with that too to get pitch time as SP isn't going to keep them all happy unless he keeps chopping and changing and I for one would like to see a more settled side.

Lastly I'd go with Jordan Millar in goal but Raith away with a makeshift back line is gonna be a big test - whoever is in our starting eleven needs to be at 100% concentration this Saturday - no moments of madness like there were at Dumbarton last Saturday when we saw 5 minutes of it which changed the game completely and cost us all 3 points.

See you at Starks Park and I'll leave myself a sarnie so I've got something to look forward to on the way home - just in case.

1 hour ago, Montrose moaner said:

Great solid performance yesterday. Team never really look like they were under any major pressure. Should have picked up the 3 points. Can’t fault a single player they all gave 100%

Agreed. It needed to be 100% as well because last week demonstrated that anything less in L1 will be punished even by a poor side. 

I thought SP got it just about right yesterday and the best move of all was moving Harrington to the back three alongside Dillon and Campbell. The young lad is not an attacking full back as Cammy was but he acquitted himself well alongside Dillon and could concentrate on what he does best i.e. defending. In came Webby to fill the right hand side wing back role with Steeves on the other side and both had good games pushing Raith back. Midfield were better as well and that's another sign of having good support from wing backs. The substitutions made were spot on as well with Watson, Redman and Campbell coming on at a time we needed to shore things up with experience.

Up front CJ has scored 3 games in a row as he did last season but this season he needs to carry that on unlike last season when he faded out. Rennie still has a lot to learn about 'putting himself about' on the pitch but looking beyond that he did occupy defenders yesterday so still played his part. I do wish he would stop being out-muscled by wee fellas though.

Need to focus 100% on Forfar now. They murdered us in the Betfred but were aided by two howling defensive mistakes by us. SP will know all about Dylon Easton, Jonny Baird etc. so we need to be well up for it as 3 points next week will make a helluva difference - just as not getting the 3 points last week did!