Come On Ye Mo - Montrose FC 2018/19

I take it the United cup tie will be an all ticket affair?
By my reckoning the last all ticket game at Links Park was against the same opposition in 2001.
The last all ticket game would have been our last one in the league against Rangers wouldn't it?

Just now, Aidan said:
58 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:
I take it the United cup tie will be an all ticket affair?
By my reckoning the last all ticket game at Links Park was against the same opposition in 2001.

The last all ticket game would have been our last one in the league against Rangers wouldn't it?

Right enough. How could I forget? :lol:

7 hours ago, mo83 said:

What a team performance yesterday everyone did their job and we got the result we deserved,What a turnaround sp has done to the club absolutely unbelievable.

Agreed. Just hope we continue to play three up front and the more experienced midfield.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Mo thread just dropped off the first P&B page so thought I'd best bring it back to life! Was going to comment anyway.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed us dropping off the pace during the latter stages of a game. It's happened several times now and nearly cost us a few times. Some times it has cost us points. It could have happened yesterday against a poor Stenny side as well. 

Credit of course should be given to opposition teams but that said, I'm more concerned with what we do rather than what they do. I don't want to be critical of SP either but as fans we see the games, we see what happens and we have our opinions. Take yesterday against Stenny. You could say it was right to use 2 subs at about the 60 minute mark to rest a couple and give a couple more some pitch time but to use the third sub well before the end I personally think was risky. If we had lost a key defender we just had to have Bolo available just in case. The other thing is that by using subs early it disrupts our flow and style of play. It gives the opposition the chance to come at us and we end up hanging on. If you don't agree, remember what nearly happened at Annan in the replay. Even we few fans who were there in cuckoo land by half-time were biting our nails with ten minutes to go.

My own view is that we should use subs more sparingly unless injuries or whatever dictate otherwise. We should always keep a third on the bench until very late on and if needs be use it in stoppage/wastage time. True some players need a rest but the older ones like Watson, Dillon, Cregg  just keep going and we could have gone on to 4-0 or 5-0. What a difference it has made playing Paul Watson in midfield. Cregg has come onto his game big style as well. Seagull is enjoying his time as long as he does nowt daft! I could go on.

Anyway, that apart well played lads - no offence intended, just my thoughts and one day we might well win 6-0 and have nothing to moan about! 

Opinions?

What you've said seems fair. I can't say too much as I haven't taken in a Montrose match for a long while.

Though losing a lead and all three points, as we did last week against Forfar, is very frustrating, the main encouragement from afar, is that we seem to be finding the back of the net more.

Rennie and CJ seem to be growing in confidence and the loan players are playing their part, playing to their strengths and adding pace to complement the more "experienced" players.

Next Saturday will be a stern test for sure but in beating the Fife teams, Montrose have shown they are by no means, cannon fodder as this division's newbies.

Let's hope this Saturday, Montrose can banish the memories of next week's opponent's last visit. Having had their unbeaten bubble burst yesterday, certainly adds to what was always going to be a post-Christmas cracker of a tie.

One thing's for certain, both teams should be up for it.

7 hours ago, Brummo said:

One thing's for certain, both teams should be up for it.

Absolutely right Brummo. I think we treated the Smokies with too much respect last time out at Gayfield and probably because they steam rollered us in the first game. But, second half at Gayfield we deserved to level it up until they got a late second goal. I just hope we carry on playing three up front and have a right good go at them. I think if we can hold the ball upfield more our defence should cope better and if anything I think the Smokies defence might be their weaker area. SP's use and timing of substitutions needs to be spot on though because we can't keep on changing things by inviting the opposition to come at us more late on.

Mind you, provided we can get something out of them this season I frankly don't mind if they are promoted as Angus needs and deserves a Championship side.

At the halfway point we are doing as well as I thought we could be, some good results, some duff afternoons. Double our current tally would easily see us finish around 6th in  the table, which would be really good.

I had doubts about Rennie stepping up but he seems to be getting more confident after a slow start (hopefully the injury doesn't peg him back), and the loan signings have shown promising flashes at various points. Not sure how Skelly has been getting on at Cowden but think we might need another option up front - that aside, there are only a few bits of shuffling next month I would think.

Unless SP gets a bat-shit crazy offer to go to East End Park should they bin Johnston in the next few weeks, I am confident we're staying put next season.

Merry christmas!

Edited by Scorge

With the January Transfer window away to open,I think it's fairly obvious we shall see a striker or two come in and with skelly loan deal up he could be an option as well.That leaves is with quite a big squad,does anyone think a couple players could move on?

52 minutes ago, mo83 said:

With the January Transfer window away to open,I think it's fairly obvious we shall see a striker or two come in and with skelly loan deal up he could be an option as well.That leaves is with quite a big squad,does anyone think a couple players could move on?

I can't see Fotheringham playing again this season and don't know why we kept him.  Ryan Ferguson's future may also be with another club.

How is Skelly performing at Cowden?   Is he fully fit yet?

A bit of a callous question in this, the season of goodwill, is it not? 

Petrie stood by his men, stood by his promises to Ralph Milne, lost Templeman to the ravages of old father time, lost Ballantyne to Dumbarton. People, including myself thought he had made the wrong decision(s) but what did we know? Petrie would appear to be the best manager the Mo have had for as long as I can remember and by a country mile.

He has tried to bring in other players to strengthen the squad, who for various reasons did not end up coming to the club.

Hopefully, with things going reasonably well at the middle of the season, we may be a marginally more attractive proposition than during the last transfer window. 

At this stage, we are competing at this level. We will need to keep up with others who are seeking to strengthen their challenge too.

I reckon Petrie knows what he's doing and will continue to do right by whoever can continue to convince him they can do a decent job for him. I don't think we currently have any malcontented, girning, passengers on the playing staff  - and that is testimony to the calibre of management and quality of the current ethos at the club. For at least one long-suffering Montrose fan, that is an enviable position to find ourselves in and one for which  I wouldn't trade places, with any other team in this league and more besides.

I can't see Fotheringham playing again this season and don't know why we kept him.  Ryan Ferguson's future may also be with another club.

How is Skelly performing at Cowden?   Is he fully fit yet?

I would just free Ferguson now we won't see him back in a Mo shirt in my opinion.Foxy is a weird one starts against Annan in the cup scores but then hasn't really pushed on since then.Bolo I suppose is another I would let go if we brought in another centre half and Matty was fit.Good player on his day but has cost the team a few time's this season with silly red card's.

Am sure skelly has been playing most weeks recently for Howden scoring a couple goals.

I'm sure SP will strengthen up top if he can because now playing three up front he could do with at least one addition there to add to his options.

As for players leaving I only think that will happen if it is right not to stand in anyone's way if they have a better opportunity elsewhere. Otherwise I reckon our squad has cover in most positions and as the season wears on we might be grateful for them all. Priority right now is to continue taking a game at a time and keeping the points total moving, then see what's possible if and when we look to be fairly safe.

We have to be up for the Smokies game this Saturday. Having put a few points on the board recently we might as well have a right good go at them like we did against Raith.

A bit of a callous question in this, the season of goodwill, is it not? 
Petrie stood by his men, stood by his promises to Ralph Milne, lost Templeman to the ravages of old father time, lost Ballantyne to Dumbarton. People, including myself thought he had made the wrong decision(s) but what did we know? Petrie would appear to be the best manager the Mo have had for as long as I can remember and by a country mile.
He has tried to bring in other players to strengthen the squad, who for various reasons did not end up coming to the club.
Hopefully, with things going reasonably well at the middle of the season, we may be a marginally more attractive proposition than during the last transfer window. 
At this stage, we are competing at this level. We will need to keep up with others who are seeking to strengthen their challenge too.
I reckon Petrie knows what he's doing and will continue to do right by whoever can continue to convince him they can do a decent job for him. I don't think we currently have any malcontented, girning, passengers on the playing staff  - and that is testimony to the calibre of management and quality of the current ethos at the club. For at least one long-suffering Montrose fan, that is an enviable position to find ourselves in and one for which  I wouldn't trade places, with any other team in this league and more besides.

Well said. Stewart Petrie has earned our trust. Squad harmony cannot be underestimated. Every player watches how the others are treated.

Does anyone know how long the loanees Anoniazzi and Henderson are in for? They're proving useful at the moment.

I'm sure this is the last game before Hendersons loan expires. Antoniazzi is due to be here for the season, can't imagine Aberdeen will be looking to recall him either.