Come On Ye Mo - Montrose FC 2018/19

What change of manager / lack of? Hope this is just a wind up!
Depends who you heard was coming in? Is he at at a team with a manager? Player I heard the team currently don't have a manager!

3 hours ago, mo83 said:
3 hours ago, Brummo said:
What change of manager / lack of? Hope this is just a wind up!

Depends who you heard was coming in? Is he at at a team with a manager? Player I heard the team currently don't have a manager!

I guess it would have been Matty Smith

Sick as a parrot to end this round of games like we did. I know it isn't panic stations quite yet but surely, no one can be anything other than disappointed with the start we've made so far in League One. We came close to another point saved but "near deid n'er filled the kirkyaird". I really, really hope the Mo can put disappointing results like today's behind them and regain winning ways. Please...

On 10/7/2018 at 06:31, mo83 said:

Let's get a striker!!

With United appointing a new boss, does this mean Matty Smith is an option again or does the deadline mean it has to wait till January?

Disappointed to hear Dick loaned out Kane Hester to Kilby, as he could have done a job for the Mo.

With United appointing a new boss, does this mean Matty Smith is an option again or does the deadline mean it has to wait till January?
Disappointed to hear Dick loaned out Kane Hester to Kilby, as he could have done a job for the Mo.

I'm not too sure if we can sign anyone at the minute or if it's just development loans we can bring in.As for kane I think eventually he will become a Mo player,when who knows though.

On 06/10/2018 at 18:06, Brummo said:

Sick as a parrot to end this round of games like we did. I know it isn't panic stations quite yet but surely, no one can be anything other than disappointed with the start we've made so far in League One. We came close to another point saved but "near deid n'er filled the kirkyaird". I really, really hope the Mo can put disappointing results like today's behind them and regain winning ways. Please...

To be fair, you’re level on points with league favourites Dumbarton after 9 games :unsure2:

Hester only went to EK since transfer windows don’t apply to the Lowland League. Brian Kerr is the manager there, and he managed Hester on loan at Albion Rovers last season so I also imagine that would’ve swayed it.

Hester only went to EK since transfer windows don’t apply to the Lowland League. Brian Kerr is the manager there, and he managed Hester on loan at Albion Rovers last season so I also imagine that would’ve swayed it.
Don't think he will be at Ek for long from what I've heard.

That Antoniazzi looked like a decent player today.  I know you guys have him in on loan - reckon he's one to watch? 
Played really well in the first half yesterday,got a bit of creativity about him.

Very poor yesterday from Montrose,never got started at all.We really need to add 3-4 players to this squad in my opinion if we are to stay in the league.Only bright spark was the young lad Antoniazzi performance looks to be coming into good form.Up front we have nothing at all at the moment crying out for a striker.Why Redman is on the bench is baffling aswell would be in my 11 every week.

We are really struggling up front. First half their keeper never had a save to make. Any team with pace is causing us problems at the back with Yano and bolo being to slow.

Very cheap goals yesterday and not sure if it was a penalty. Ref didn’t do us any favours.

I don’t think we won a single ball up front and they pressed high to stop us playing out from the back.

It’s certainly a worry as we have no cutting edge. None of strikers getting a run to gain form either though as they change most weeks. Don’t understand why Redman and Fotheringham are not being picked more often in midfield either.

All the above few comments are merited. I don't doubt that SP tried hard to get a seasoned striker in both before the season and before the window closed but the bottom line is that we didn't get one. There are strikers around in both Highland League and SPFL 2 and everybody else in L1 has some threat up front so we can only guess why we haven't. Has to be finance or geographical position.

We can't accept the present position without trying something different. We've tried a myriad of permutations of players up front and none have solved the problem. Even giving an extended run to a couple of them I don't think is the answer. I honestly don't mean to be over critical  but Martin Rennie is struggling at L1 level although he might have made it in L2 given pitch time. Craig Johnston I certainly don't want to criticise because he gives 100% but he isn't a goal poacher though might do more if playing alongside a more experienced striker. Danny Cavanagh has improved greatly but isn't the answer yet. That leaves on loan Euan Henderson who no doubt has talent but is yet to prove it consistently - again needs experience alongside him.

So what's the answer now we are a long way off the next transfer window (and with no guarantee we will solve it then)? There are two possibilities. Firstly and probably the best one is to find an experienced striker at another club who is near the end of his career, in and out of his team and whose club would be prepared to terminate his contract to make him a free agent. We would need to buy him out so he was not out of pocket - not easy. I doubt there are any goodies already still out there unattached however. The second possibility is from within our own ranks i.e. move a defender into a striking role. OK, a daft idea, or is it? Think back to Brian Third in the 1970's. He was a left back but in an emergency played centre forward and never looked back. I know of another left back who turned centre forward in an emergency, scored a hat-trick of headers in his first game and never looked back. How many of you have heard of Glenn Murray who plays in the English Premiership and is up there as a top striker. Well, he started off at a Fourth Division club in their youth set-up - as a left back. Now he is a top class striker.

Bolo or Andy Steeves - fancy a go? If nowt else either of them would stir things up and make the opposition work more and Bolo would occupy at least two defenders as a target man like Sanny used to. That means the opposition is pushed back meaning less pressure on us at the back and you never know we might even score a goal.  So, we do nothing and hope for the best OR we try something else which might not work, but equally it might. 

Thoughts?

PS: I agree Redman needs to be in. He is an attacking midfielder who can pop up with a goal. He and Masson are musts in the present set up.

Edited by MOFOREVER
Additional comment