Come On Ye Mo - Montrose FC 2018/19

Presumably we'll return to the three at the back plus two wing backs, three across the middle and two up front. And a goalie of course just in case needed.

Looking forward to a trip to Stranny as it's been a while since. Assume the A75 is as tedious as ever though it gets better after passing the old stomping grounds of Gretna, Annan and Dumfries.

I'm surprised we kept him at the end of last season.

Since he has been kept, am surprised he isn’t involved more as he is still one of the best passers of the ball in the squad. Was more surprised Webby and Ferguson have stayed.

Very disappointed with the Mo performance yesterday at Stranraer. Don't like being critical but we have to look at that performance and ensure it doesn't happen again because we will not get away with it in this division. Ok we got away with it second half against Brechin but we won't against better teams. No disrespect to Stranny but we'll play better teams - they did all that was required for the 3 points in the face of a Mo side who with that line up would not have scored if we'd played all day and night. Not good enough.

Stranny have a big experienced back line. We had no height either at the back (Allan dropped and Bolo injured) and no height at the front. Stranny were going to undo us at set pieces - watch the highlights for the two goals. Cregg appears to play well but is too deep and simply doing what the back four should be doing. In midfield we need holding players BUT we also need attacking midfielders who get up into the holes (inside forward positions) to support the front two. Up front we had young inexperienced Henderson (who tried hard) and Johnston who runs his socks off but doesn't score goals. We had no Masson or Redman backing them up until Masson came on late with the game already lost. We have to back up and latch on to the second balls up front but never did that for the whole game and as a result Stranny had a much easier afternoon than they would have expected. Sorry to be so blunt SP as you usually get it right but yesterday ??????  Still will be a Mo whatever but no point in 'beating around the bush.'  

• 2 weeks later...

Got to get something out of the next few games the next 3 of which are away but I include the cup game this Saturday because we need a solid concentrated performance whatever the competition. I might be over critical at times but only have the best interests of MFC at heart. The thing is I know can do better than the last couple of games but in each one a bit of sloppiness has crept in and you just can't get away with that in League 1. Duck's arse watertightness is necessary then see what happens up front.

Hard game today. We gifted them 2 soft goals. Seagull flapping at the first one then a daft penalty. After beating them last week I find it hard to believe that Watson never even got on the park. Not sure what’s up with Danny but if he is fit I would have played him. Young hearts boy was hardly in the game today. I think we need to stick with a team and not change it every week

3 hours ago, Brummo said:

Bottom of the league! :(

Come on Montrose, get a grip. We waited all this time for promotion, please don't let us down. No return into the abyss of Scottish League Two for the Mo.

Tbf,  you’re only three points off third. If Montrose hang onto Petrie, they’ll be absolutely fine.

28 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Early doors mate. We're only 2 points off the play-off places...

True, but those of us who go to every game home and away can see the trend and where the problems lie. We'll continue to support the Mo everywhere but the defence will crack at times (and give away soft goals) so if we don't look a threat up the top end then we will always be under pressure in L1. The disappointing thing is that apart from the Smokies game every game has been winnable - but we didn't. 

The loan players are struggling as well and we have to deal with that but no disrespect to SP, he can only do his best with what he can get through the door. Five minutes of madness cost us the game yesterday and four key things happened in that time and all were avoidable. A routine corner - goal. A silly push in the area - goal. Bolo smashing the lad - red card. SP getting sent to the stands - not a good example to set. Having said that, we are in League 1 and we might continue to struggle but with our lack of transfer activity in the Summer we all surely expected a bit of a struggle. To be fair I still think we would have been challenging in L2 if we were still there even with our current squad but L1 is without doubt a higher standard where you get punished more for lapses in focus and concentration. Must get more clean sheets whilst the attacking options remain - and yesterday should have been a clean sheet as should have been Stranraer a couple of weeks ago.

The team is good enough we just need to stop changing the team every week. We seem to stick with the older players instead of giving the youngsters a decent run. There has been a few of them that have played well in pre season and the cup games that aren’t getting a fair chance to get a decent run in the starting 11

Bring back Sanny!!!On a serious note though we do need some extra fire power,Cj two goals in two games I hope he can keep it up but just can't see it happening.Still not overly convinced with Henderson yet hope he can come good for us though,Crying out for an experienced striker this team.