Come On Ye Mo - Montrose FC 2018/19

I expect a few changes for sure and we certainly need to strengthen a couple of areas from what we have.
The one thing I would say is Petrie as well as understanding the game, himself and the coaching squad improve players. I know the fitness levels and strength conditioning are so much higher.
Don't know if it would happen but if say a McCord did come on board and commit to the gym work as well as diet control, I'd think the team at Montrose could make him something special.

Same has been said about McCord his whole career. It’s just the way he is and you’re not changing that, got away with it in L2 but there was a few games this season where he looked so off it. Was very very good in some games but it was because we had all the ball and were pumping teams for a wee spell.

If you’re in a battle he’s just half the player he could be. I’ll miss him but only because of the memories I have of him in League 2, if he was signed at the start of the season just for this campaign I really wouldn’t be overly bothered at all. He wasn’t in our strongest side come the end of the year and wasn’t even making it off the bench.

Can't argue with that.
It's one thing we all can relate too.

McCord is frustrating as anything. He’s two footed and can pick a pass about 10 seconds before anyone anywhere in the ground can. I get his reason for not wanting to go full time, but if he got in decent shape he could have the pick of the part time clubs in the country and name his price :lol:

I expect a few changes for sure and we certainly need to strengthen a couple of areas from what we have.
The one thing I would say is Petrie as well as understanding the game, himself and the coaching squad improve players. I know the fitness levels and strength conditioning are so much higher.
Don't know if it would happen but if say a McCord did come on board and commit to the gym work as well as diet control, I'd think the team at Montrose could make him something special.

Yes expect a few too leave. Really need to sort out the strike force with Templeman going. Really like Martin Rennie and hope with a good preseason he will be really good next season. Signings for certain positions will depend on issues like will Cammy come back and will Lewis Milne sign a new contract. Time will tell but good to look forward to League 1 and a few different trips. Be surprised if Skelly doesn’t sign since we tried to get him in January but unsure where he would be best to fit in.

Yes expect a few too leave. Really need to sort out the strike force with Templeman going. Really like Martin Rennie and hope with a good preseason he will be really good next season. Signings for certain positions will depend on issues like will Cammy come back and will Lewis Milne sign a new contract. Time will tell but good to look forward to League 1 and a few different trips. Be surprised if Skelly doesn’t sign since we tried to get him in January but unsure where he would be best to fit in.
Think Martin Rennie can kick on next year. Someone the other sides won't know much about.

I would suggest make him something "special" like a full Scottish with fried bread. Certain to sign then.

Think Martin Rennie can kick on next year. Someone the other sides won't know much about.
100% Martin has done really well since he came to the club.Be interesting to see who sp will bring in to help him up front,did hear one name and if we pull that off what a cracking signing it would be.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What do you think Petrie will do with a lot of your league winning team? Be tough to get rid of or drop players especially guys like Masson/Watson etc.

He'll be tough enough but within budget. In my opinion he must keep Masson. He was missed IMO when not in the team and even in the team at RB was not his correct position - he's not a RB. Having him alongside Redman in the attacking roles behind the top end players made a big difference towards the end of season and both Masson and Redman popped up with vital goals. I know a lot of other teams/fans don't like Masson's style but quite honestly that's an advantage to Montrose as he can upset their rythm.

As for Paul Watson his loyalty and commitment can't be faulted but I'm not sure he'll be kept on except in a squad role as he can fill in in a few positions but whether that factor is cost effective will depend on who else comes in and at what cost. Several players have already gone from the payroll so there is already room for manoevre but SP will want cover in every position because that was one of our strengths last season - that along with a strong defence and a much improved disciplinary record. The latter proved crucial as we didn't have many (any?) suspensions late on. Must replace Cammy at RB unless we get him back again and hopefully we will unless a good full time opportunity comes along for him. The other 'must' is more strength up front which we just about got away with last season but won't get away with next season. I know who I'd like in and he wasn't getting in his own team's starting eleven last time out - watch this space! 

He'll be tough enough but within budget. In my opinion he must keep Masson. He was missed IMO when not in the team and even in the team at RB was not his correct position - he's not a RB. Having him alongside Redman in the attacking roles behind the top end players made a big difference towards the end of season and both Masson and Redman popped up with vital goals. I know a lot of other teams/fans don't like Masson's style but quite honestly that's an advantage to Montrose as he can upset their rythm.
As for Paul Watson his loyalty and commitment can't be faulted but I'm not sure he'll be kept on except in a squad role as he can fill in in a few positions but whether that factor is cost effective will depend on who else comes in and at what cost. Several players have already gone from the payroll so there is already room for manoevre but SP will want cover in every position because that was one of our strengths last season - that along with a strong defence and a much improved disciplinary record. The latter proved crucial as we didn't have many (any?) suspensions late on. Must replace Cammy at RB unless we get him back again and hopefully we will unless a good full time opportunity comes along for him. The other 'must' is more strength up front which we just about got away with last season but won't get away with next season. I know who I'd like in and he wasn't getting in his own team's starting eleven last time out - watch this space! 

Fair enough. Bit weird for Watson though if that happens been at you for so long and then when you get a bit of success he gets punted. Bit of a weird one. If Masson is staying where does Rankin/Flood and McCord fit in? [emoji12]

Who you hinting at in last bit? Leighton McIntosh or something?

Fair enough. Bit weird for Watson though if that happens been at you for so long and then when you get a bit of success he gets punted. Bit of a weird one. If Masson is staying where does Rankin/Flood and McCord fit in? [emoji12]

Would hope we would not be looking at bringing Leighton back to the club.

19 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Fair enough. Bit weird for Watson though if that happens been at you for so long and then when you get a bit of success he gets punted. Bit of a weird one. If Masson is staying where does Rankin/Flood and McCord fit in? emoji12.png

Not sure if Rankin/Flood and McCord are coming yet unless I've missed something but my guess is they won't all come or that will soak up a lot of budget. Anyway I'd still have Teza the terror in there.

No, not Leighton - nice lad but a bit light weight and we need a bit more hussle and muscle up top - more experience and someone who will scare the s***e out of defences.

No, not Leighton - nice lad but a bit light weight and we need a bit more hussle and muscle up top - more experience and someone who will scare the s***e out of defences.

You’ve obviously not seen him for a while, he’s a unit! Another player i was disappointed to see leave but dick obviously preferred wallace & mckenna and we have signed spence(i think?) and have doris to come back

You’ve obviously not seen him for a while, he’s a unit! Another player i was disappointed to see leave but dick obviously preferred wallace & mckenna and we have signed spence(i think?) and have doris to come back
Greig Spence signing for you lot?

There is no doubt, McCord is a player, but surely next season your aim is to stay up, so whether McCord is the type if player you require, am not so sure

Edited by ecto