Toulon Tourney 2018

57 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Given Togo could barely pass the ball, and their keeper was an absolute bombscare, Scotland had every chance. Except they just launched long balls up to Bruce Hornsby for 90 minutes.

Honestly, I’ve seen club managers sacked for performances like that. Imagine a Big Sam team minus the skill.

Edited to add France and Korea are going to run circles around us.

Was a bit tongue n cheek with the expectations of Scotland in this tourney but you say Bruce Hornsby and the range of passing wasn't great?

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol wut

Dumbarton were in the championship. What’s the difference in a Dumbarton player playing and Ralston, both were playing at the same level. A load of guys who have also never played a first team match too probably, bit of a wanky comment.

3 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Pretty grim viewing, even if we are winning. 

The hoofball is minging. Ralston is rotten.

I'm with you 100% on the hoofball. It's now decades we've been doing this whilst promising to progress and advance and evolve blah blah.. It never changes. Even the likes of the Faroe Islands pass and move better than Scotland. Surely moving is the easiest thing to do? Eyes and legs and half a brain. Move into space for the love of God! Give your pal an option. Nope. We're going to hide behind the opposition and take zero responsibility and if a teammate looks at me I'm going to scratch my eye and look away then point at the goalie.  Bah!

On 29/05/2018 at 16:42, Savage Henry said:

Given Togo could barely pass the ball, and their keeper was an absolute bombscare, Scotland had every chance. Except they just launched long balls up to Bruce Hornsby for 90 minutes.

Honestly, I’ve seen club managers sacked for performances like that. Imagine a Big Sam team minus the skill.

Edited to add France and Korea are going to run circles around us.

You sure of that?

You play to your strengths. If Scotland youth coaches insist on play 2 beasts in the likes of Burke and Bruce Hornsby then you go direct and play off the 2nd ball in the opponents half. 

South Ireland have been doing it for 30 years and have been far more successful than Scotland in that period.

That was a grim match. Fair play on getting the win but I can't help but feel we could do a lot better. 

Uninspiring shite. The formation we play is fucking mental as well. Still dont know what it is. Why was Allan Campbell playing behind the striker and why does Mikey Johnstone play CM?

I actually enjoyed the game and I was pretty impressed with our performance.  I thought in the first half we were good for our lead.  

Second half was a little bit different but that was more to do with the fact there was a lead to protect.  

A win against the Koreans should see us top the group.  

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

You play to your strengths. If Scotland youth coaches insist on play 2 beasts in the likes of Burke and Bruce Hornsby then you go direct and play off the 2nd ball in the opponents half. 

South Ireland have been doing it for 30 years and have been far more successful than Scotland in that period.

( I tried to reply to this a lot but the site was down, sorry - I ended up just rambling after a few beers)

Surely Burke's pace is his greatest asset rather than his hair/head? I remember reading he was the 2nd fastest player in the Bundesliga. Maybe train him to not run after the ball like it's a fucking bone. He really does just run in a straight line with or without the ball then go "AAAA! KICK!"

I'm not inherently against long balls though... I'm against eyes closed "Waaaaa!" random launching without a single thought or care which is seemingly all we do. I'm not sure what you're saying really. We should play to the strengths of the coaches? If they like two big guys up top and hoof... then. uh.. what choice do we have? I'm saying: that's the problem or are you being funny and agreeing with me sarcastically? I hate forums. 
You cannae rely on... random balls into the box somehow finding their way into the goal like Ireland? That's soul destroying.  It's like Ronnie O'Sullivan breaking off and just smashing the f**k out of the balls as hard as he can and going "YES!" as a red drops in and shouting "Chance at a brown here!" 

I dunno mate. Maybe you're right. I hate it. I'm sick of Scotland being the worst at football in the whole world. Even the old stereotypes are wrong. Good, strong, physical, fighters. Wrong. Stop it. We're aimless and careless and weak and seem to  think it's fine. We're not even producing good curling players now and when was our last world class tenniser? Judy Murray is probs our best just now. We'll never wake up because everyone that has power to change things feels great. "It's just a game... lol Chill!"

No I’m saying play to the strength of the players at your disposal. Like South Ireland do. 

I don’t give a f**k how Scotland play, as long as they get results.

I disagree with that. Absolutely. Lumping the ball and crossing your fingers is a choice. Not caring about your team being able to pass and move is bullshit in my opinion. If Andy Robertson had gone from Dundee Utd to a team like Aberdeen... he'd still be mindlessly kicking the ball away with his eyes closed. I don't believe Scottish players can't play football.  No!

46 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Only in Scotland, could we beat France - playing some decent stuff at times and people complain.

People, including me, are complaining because they realise the way we plau isn't going to get consistently positive results. 

We beat france but we were pretty lucky, we had one shot the full game and it so happened to go in and the second half we rode our luck to the max. We can't keep doing that, it is never going to improve players.

One of the reasons why I complain is because its so obvious we could be so much better than we are. We have a lot of good technically gifted players yet we insist on smashing it over their heads to a big boy up front. It's frustrating to watch and it stagnates these players development. 

But we beat France so its fine.

Archived