Toulon Tourney 2018

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How exactly does Ronaldo Vieira actually qualify to play for England when he is born in Guinea-Bissau and actually hold Portuguese nationality, I'm going to assume it's through the "schooling for 5 years" rule same as young Dembele at Celtic!!!

Surely this is a rule that WE should be exploiting more if at least as much as our neighbours, how about a Scottish Government sponsored Scholarship Scheme with our Scouts scouring the African continent looking for 10-12 year old football talent and bringing them over here stuff them in to High School and reap the benefits 5 years later???

Obviously having the likes of Bleauts and various Daily Mail readers losing their shit over it would be delicious!!!

TBH even if England did win a Euros or a WC I'm not sure it would bother me that much. Their side now seems devoid of personality and the cuntishness that made it so easy to loathe them. No sign of the likes of a Stuart Pearce or Paul Ince. Joe Hart is the only recent player I can think of of theirs that has ticked that box - what a prize bellend he is/was.

Added to that, the media down south seem to have worked it out: they're not that great at the moment, and so the usual trumpets and bunting thing has been really quiet this year.

5 hours ago, King Kebab said:

How exactly does Ronaldo Vieira actually qualify to play for England when he is born in Guinea-Bissau and actually hold Portuguese nationality, I'm going to assume it's through the "schooling for 5 years" rule same as young Dembele at Celtic!!!

Surely this is a rule that WE should be exploiting more if at least as much as our neighbours, how about a Scottish Government sponsored Scholarship Scheme with our Scouts scouring the African continent looking for 10-12 year old football talent and bringing them over here stuff them in to High School and reap the benefits 5 years later???

Obviously having the likes of Bleauts and various Daily Mail readers losing their shit over it would be delicious!!!

You mean try and exploit children for the benefit of a football team? 

You mean try and exploit children for the benefit of a football team? 

Hell yeah!!!

Yep he(and his brother) qualifies through schooling for 5 years before his 18th birthday. We should look round the world for football talent to get us to a tournament

Sent from my F5321 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

On 6/8/2018 at 13:52, Gordopolis said:

TBH even if England did win a Euros or a WC I'm not sure it would bother me that much. Their side now seems devoid of personality and the cuntishness that made it so easy to loathe them. No sign of the likes of a Stuart Pearce or Paul Ince. Joe Hart is the only recent player I can think of of theirs that has ticked that box - what a prize bellend he is/was.

Added to that, the media down south seem to have worked it out: they're not that great at the moment, and so the usual trumpets and bunting thing has been really quiet this year.

My Dad still has pain over 1966, and often tells me that if Scotland were in the tournament, they'd have won it that year. He still has his W.Germany rosette somewhere. Even the mention of the year makes him go green. 

Could not be doing with them winning it. Especially living down here. They would be insufferable. Dele Alli is also a c**t. Would do some fucking ridiculous celebration with the trophy. That idea can f**k right off. 

As for the tournament, Burke looked exciting throughout, really like him. Have a lot of time for any Scot that tries their hand abroad, even if it doesn't work out. He has only just turned 21, so plenty of time for him to get into the National side and hopefully make a difference. 

35 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

My Dad still has pain over 1966, and often tells me that if Scotland were in the tournament, they'd have won it that year. He still has his W.Germany rosette somewhere. Even the mention of the year makes him go green. 

Could not be doing with them winning it. Especially living down here. They would be insufferable. Dele Alli is also a c**t. Would do some fucking ridiculous celebration with the trophy. That idea can f**k right off. 

As for the tournament, Burke looked exciting throughout, really like him. Have a lot of time for any Scot that tries their hand abroad, even if it doesn't work out. He has only just turned 21, so plenty of time for him to get into the National side and hopefully make a difference. 

Gilmour looks fkn brilliant.  Like he could genuinely play for real Madrid or someone like that.  He turned down Barcelona a year ago, and Bayern.

9 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

My Dad still has pain over 1966, and often tells me that if Scotland were in the tournament, they'd have won it that year.

Obviously I wasn't around to see it... but is that not a case of wishful thinking or looking back through rose-tinted spectacles? We finished 3rd in that season's Home Championships and lost 2 of our 3 WC qualifiers, v Poland who didn't qualify and Italy who famously lost v North Korea and failed to get out of the group. In the buildup we'd home friendlies v Netherlands (who hadn't qualified), Portugal and Brazil, losing the first 2 and drawing the 3rd. Couple of these games were hidings, too.

We came very good the following season - winning the Home Championship including the famous win at Wembley to become "unofficial world champions" - but perhaps we're reflecting that glory backward as well?

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Obviously I wasn't around to see it... but is that not a case of wishful thinking or looking back through rose-tinted spectacles? We finished 3rd in that season's Home Championships and lost 2 of our 3 WC qualifiers, v Poland who didn't qualify and Italy who famously lost v North Korea and failed to get out of the group. In the buildup we'd home friendlies v Netherlands (who hadn't qualified), Portugal and Brazil, losing the first 2 and drawing the 3rd. Couple of these games were hidings, too.

We came very good the following season - winning the Home Championship including the famous win at Wembley to become "unofficial world champions" - but perhaps we're reflecting that glory backward as well?

Archie Macpherson's biography of Jock Stein talks about that spell a little bit because he did the Scotland job part-time for most of 1965, including all of the later World Cup qualifiers.

Stein's tactics were criticised after the home game v Poland, which they were winning 1-0 but lost two late goals to lose. They played well to beat Italy at home but then had a whole bunch of call-offs for the return game in Naples. e.g. Jim Baxter said he was injured, then played for Sunderland in a friendly on the same day!!! Denis Law, Dave Mackay, Ian St John and Alan Gilzen also pulled out. Bizarre to think that there were so many call-offs for a critical game. Win would have qualified automatically, or (more realistically) a draw would have meant a playoff match v Italy (tie-breakers weren't used then), but a weakened team lost 3-0.

It's hard to say what they would have done if they had qualified. The Scotland team at that time was a bit of a shambles. I guess they would have been well motivated by the fact it was in England. They would have been a dangerous outsider, but there's no basis for saying categorically that they would have won it.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:26, The Moonster said:

lol

Instead of your wisecracks (which are not in the least funny), can you explain to me which criteria you consider acceptable for a player to represent Scotland ? Please don't quote the so-called "granny rule" as I would expect.

Would you at least concede that whilst you are obviously happy to have players with little or no connection to Scotland , for example born outside the country, never even been here, never played here, blatantly using us as a fall-back position, it is possible for some to believe that for international football it devalued things ? I dont ask you to agree but at least to appreciate another point of view.

Even if any of the , as I see it, "ringers" were decent, I still wouldn't approve. I know I am fighting a lost cause with someone like McLeish in charge (75% failure rate so far) who has been blinded by his unsuccessful time in England yet rates their teams so highly. Perhaps he wont last very long in the job, one can only hope.

If you really do support Scottish football, enjoy next season watching the Sons.

18 hours ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Instead of your wisecracks (which are not in the least funny), can you explain to me which criteria you consider acceptable for a player to represent Scotland ? Please don't quote the so-called "granny rule" as I would expect.

Would you at least concede that whilst you are obviously happy to have players with little or no connection to Scotland , for example born outside the country, never even been here, never played here, blatantly using us as a fall-back position, it is possible for some to believe that for international football it devalued things ? I dont ask you to agree but at least to appreciate another point of view.

Even if any of the , as I see it, "ringers" were decent, I still wouldn't approve. I know I am fighting a lost cause with someone like McLeish in charge (75% failure rate so far) who has been blinded by his unsuccessful time in England yet rates their teams so highly. Perhaps he wont last very long in the job, one can only hope.

If you really do support Scottish football, enjoy next season watching the Sons.

I'd imagine the criteria he - and most normal people - would be the ones FIFA hold.  Doesn't really work for incredibly boring, bitter wee men like you, but luckily the people that are actually in charge are a bit more open-minded.  What would you answer to the same question?  Should all our players have had haggis before?  Be able to sing the national anthem at the right pitch?  Have had a pizza crunch?  Or is it sufficient enough to be any nationality that isn't them?

It'd be funny if it was trolling, but you're so one-track and tedious about it, it's gone beyond to something a lot sadder.  So good for you.

EDIT: And I suspect I know exactly how you'll reply to this.  Act all haughty and offended, then probably say something about St Mirren being promoted and Thistle being relegated.  All so predictable.  All so boring.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

I'd imagine the criteria he - and most normal people - would be the ones FIFA hold.  Doesn't really work for incredibly boring, bitter wee men like you, but luckily the people that are actually in charge are a bit more open-minded.  What would you answer to the same question?  Should all our players have had haggis before?  Be able to sing the national anthem at the right pitch?  Have had a pizza crunch?  Or is it sufficient enough to be any nationality that isn't them?

It'd be funny if it was trolling, but you're so one-track and tedious about it, it's gone beyond to something a lot sadder.  So good for you.

EDIT: And I suspect I know exactly how you'll reply to this.  Act all haughty and offended, then probably say something about St Mirren being promoted and Thistle being relegated.  All so predictable.  All so boring.

I do understand the FIFA criteria and that other countries can and do use them. I don't care about players eating haggis (disgusting stuff) or singing the national anthem (disgusting anthem) Don't know what a pizza crunch is, mind you. I have said endlessly that I have nothing against English people, just that they shouldn't be playing for us, they have their own country and its a better team than ours by far.

I heard the commentator last night say that over half the Tunisian team were born outside that country, it didn't seem to do them any good however that's their business. Do you concede that there are many like me who believe that the inclusion of players who are not Scottish  is not only bad for our domestic  game but denies home based players the chance to represent their country ? There was an age old argument previously about home v anglos which used to enrage fans here when unknown players from down south were often picked before fans favourites here. Every one of those players, however, were Scots, and tended to play for the top English teams. Nowadays we are picking unknown second and third division players and are at the lowest point in our history with no sign of qualification in sight. Please at least have the decency to respect my opinion whilst not agreeing with it.

I wont have a dig at Thistle although I did recently, I hope and expect a right good challenge from them this season and the team of Jimmy Davidson, Johnny Mackenzie and Alan Rough will always have a place in the top echelons of our game.

7 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

I do understand the FIFA criteria and that other countries can and do use them. I don't care about players eating haggis (disgusting stuff) or singing the national anthem (disgusting anthem) Don't know what a pizza crunch is, mind you. I have said endlessly that I have nothing against English people, just that they shouldn't be playing for us, they have their own country and its a better team than ours by far.

I heard the commentator last night say that over half the Tunisian team were born outside that country, it didn't seem to do them any good however that's their business. Do you concede that there are many like me who believe that the inclusion of players who are not Scottish  is not only bad for our domestic  game but denies home based players the chance to represent their country ? There was an age old argument previously about home v anglos which used to enrage fans here when unknown players from down south were often picked before fans favourites here. Every one of those players, however, were Scots, and tended to play for the top English teams. Nowadays we are picking unknown second and third division players and are at the lowest point in our history with no sign of qualification in sight. Please at least have the decency to respect my opinion whilst not agreeing with it.

I wont have a dig at Thistle although I did recently, I hope and expect a right good challenge from them this season and the team of Jimmy Davidson, Johnny Mackenzie and Alan Rough will always have a place in the top echelons of our game.

You have said it endlessly, but it oozes out of every post you make.  You don't mention any other country's players, just England.  You certainly have some kind of issue with them.

So if it isn't just plain old bitterness and xenophobia, then what are your ideal eligibility rules?

10 hours ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

The idea that you have to be born in a country to be considered as being of that nationality is utterly ridiculous. 

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The idea that you have to be born in a country to be considered as being of that nationality is utterly ridiculous. 

Plus, most countries outside the Americas don't even give out citizenship based on place of birth. It's perfectly possible to be born in a country and not qualify for the citizenship of that country.

Archived