Toulon Tourney 2018

2 minutes ago, dumpweed said:

Taylor is a better prospect that Hornsby

Forgot to mention him - agree he looked very good.

Horn(s)by looks a bit below the rest in terms of touch and technique, but if he can carve a niche in the EPL (big ask) as a battering ram striker, he could be a great find for us, given our sparse fwd options.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a feeling Hornby will come good when he's had a couple of seasons as a striker. 3rd youngest player in the squad but already looks better than most of them.

14 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Got a feeling Hornby will come good when he's had a couple of seasons as a striker. 3rd youngest player in the squad but already looks better than most of them.

All depends on what Everton do with him I suppose.  From what I can tell he's been used primarily as a midfielder in their Under 23s squad, but to me he's much better utilised as the focal point of an attack.  He has the perfect coach for that though with big Dunc coaching at Everton

34 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Plenty of positives to take from this tourney:

1. Semi finalists for the second year in a row
  2. Beat France along the way
  3. Two wonder goals
  4. Several really promising prospects: Gilmour,  Johnston, Burke, Horn(s)by

Gilmour in particular stood out in that he seemed so comfortable taking the ball in any position from any angle and looked equally at ease carrying it forward and delivering clever, calculated passes to the front line. Just hope he doesn't end up one of many on the Chelsea youth books. Too early for him to be loaned out I'd say and too early for him to break into the Chelsea team so might just have to bide our time and cross our fingers for him.

Gilmour in the last couple of games has looked a real talent.  As I've mentioned before, if he bulks up a bit then we've got a great midfielder on our hands.  The midfield against England looked good in the first half, we actually missed Ian Wilson in the second half doing the under-rated, breaking up attacks, no-nonsense stuff.  As soon as he went off, we were over-ran a little, mainly due to the lack of physicality we possessed in there.

All depends on what Everton do with him I suppose.  From what I can tell he's been used primarily as a midfielder in their Under 23s squad, but to me he's much better utilised as the focal point of an attack.  He has the perfect coach for that though with big Dunc coaching at Everton
They seem to be keen on the idea of converting him into a proper striker, there was an interview today in the Liverpool Echo and he's said that Ferguson is teaching him the role.

1 minute ago, Aidan said:
5 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

They seem to be keen on the idea of converting him into a proper striker, there was an interview today in the Liverpool Echo and he's said that Ferguson is teaching him the role.

That would be ideal.  For a big guy he does have a bit about him with the ball at his feet as well as in the air (the set up for Burke's goal v South Korea in particular).  Given he's only 18, there's plenty of time for him and a lot of the team that played this evening.

I thought Horn(s)by was a striker at Everton too. Hope he does move up front as people are suggesting
He only started playing as a striker last year and seems to be progressing quite well, hopefully he keeps it up and gets a few more chances at Everton.

13 hours ago, kenny131 said:

I see a few posts saying England aren't good they cruised that game in 2nd gear resting 2 of there better u21s  they looked quicker fitter and light years ahead technically than us. 

There are are good few people in here who are going to have  miserable 2020's. England are the stand out European team at all under age levels. 

Only saw the second half - up until the third goal - but very disappointed in Scotland, particularly their passing inability and lack of fight. I think they ought to get shot of the guy in charge, he is hopeless. The England players liked to be more up for it and confident, which was understandable given the paucity of their opponents.

4 hours ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Only saw the second half - up until the third goal - but very disappointed in Scotland, particularly their passing inability and lack of fight. I think they ought to get shot of the guy in charge, he is hopeless. The England players liked to be more up for it and confident, which was understandable given the paucity of their opponents.

Maybe we could convince a few of these England players to play for us.

5 hours ago, thisal said:

There are are good few people in here who are going to have  miserable 2020's. England are the stand out European team at all under age levels. 

They are but no danger they win 2020 or 2022.  Absolutely no chance of either.  Beyond that it's impossible to predict.

We’ve seen this before though. Mind the squad that will win Euro 2008 predictions. Can win all they like at U20s it usually doesn’t translate to full gems success. Especially when their club sides sign some Brazilian youth to go in ahead of them.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

We’ve seen this before though. Mind the squad that will win Euro 2008 predictions. Can win all they like at U20s it usually doesn’t translate to full gems success. Especially when their club sides sign some Brazilian youth to go in ahead of them.

Not really. England hadn't won a competition above U17 level for decades until a couple of years ago. Now they're world champions at U20, won Toulon the last two years and are European champions at U19.

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

It's also cause England concentrate on the physical side of the game so they often do well at youth levels and remain shite at senior.  England are no threat to the big boys any time soon.

10 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

It's also cause England concentrate on the physical side of the game so they often do well at youth levels and remain shite at senior.  England are no threat to the big boys any time soon.

This is absolutely spot on. 

18 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Maybe we could convince a few of these England players to play for us.

Many a true word spoken in jest. Some might even have the most tenuous connection and be considered able to qualify under the ridiculous current rules, lol.

Archived