Motherwell v Accies (The don’t get pumped derby)

27 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Ha! 

I honestly don't ask much.  I want us to play football on the grass and give youngsters a chance.  I go and watch lower league teams (not Barcelona) and they do it so there is no excuse for Motherwell not to. 

We did it today and, just admit yourself if you can't let it be known publicly, didn't you enjoy it more than some of the attritional hoofball dreck we've watched this season? 

As for our modest resources.  They would be less modest if we hadn't paid a lot of money to a lot of duds from down south.  Why are Plummer and Petrevicius on our books when we have Maguire and MacLean already there?  It's poor resource management.  Trust in the kids.

Would we be in two cup finals without Allan Campbell's outstanding performance against Aberdeen or even MacLean's extra time winner at Ross County?  Unlikely. 

Or McHughs winner v Hearts or Mains 2 goals v Aberdeen.  Just a couple of the duds from down south. We are both Well fans thru and thru but you are totally selective in your reasoning. Play young kids all the time and play silky football on the deck. Were it so easy and would it lead to the success we have had this season. Not a chance. 

Of course we have duds - that is what happens when you are fishing in the lower leagues, but by Christ our success rate is way above any of our peers. Ask Thistle and Ross C whether they would rather have our supposed duds or theirs. 

I would like to see more of our youngsters involved but actually that is and has been happening. 6 debutants this season. 

Amd yes I enjoyed today more than many performances but let’s be honest that was against a fairly poor Accies side. When u are playing Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and the Old firm playing with kids and how you would like would realistically get us relegated. 

Anyone who feels this has been a poor season and that we have more duds in our squad is I am afraid going to be perpetually disapppointed. That is where I feel sorry for you. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've enjoyed what I've watched this season - I *like* our style of play, sorry if I fail the footballing purity test. 

The only time we've had really good footballing sides in the past 20 years or so, we've massively overspent, despite it being hugely enjoyable at the time and that is something we can't do any more as a fan owned club.

There are basically 2 good footballing teams in this league - Hibs and Celtic - and they both have a hilarious budget advantage over us and so can afford better players - it's that simple. On teams that we are closer to, no-one plays silky stuff with any success - Dundee play triangles for ever until they get to the final third and then run out of ideas, Thistle strive to play football the "right" way - they're in the playoffs. 

I've enjoyed myself more this season than I have in any other season since the mid-80's bar McLean's last year, McGhee's first and the first year we finished 2nd under McCall. We aren't easy on the eye as all those teams were - but nevertheless, we've created some brilliant memories this season and we might yet get one of the best ever.

There's been some dross this season, but there's been a shitload of grit and fight. A team who don't fear anyone and get stuck in. I bet other teams have dreaded playing us this season. It's been fucking ace. Just need to batter Celtic next week and they'll go down in history.

57 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Or McHughs winner v Hearts or Mains 2 goals v Aberdeen.  Just a couple of the duds from down south. We are both Well fans thru and thru but you are totally selective in your reasoning. Play young kids all the time and play silky football on the deck. Were it so easy and would it lead to the success we have had this season. Not a chance. 

Of course we have duds - that is what happens when you are fishing in the lower leagues, but by Christ our success rate is way above any of our peers. Ask Thistle and Ross C whether they would rather have our supposed duds or theirs. 

I would like to see more of our youngsters involved but actually that is and has been happening. 6 debutants this season. 

Amd yes I enjoyed today more than many performances but let’s be honest that was against a fairly poor Accies side. When u are playing Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and the Old firm playing with kids and how you would like would realistically get us relegated. 

Anyone who feels this has been a poor season and that we have more duds in our squad is I am afraid going to be perpetually disapppointed. That is where I feel sorry for you. 

Well first of all there is a big gap between giving kids a chance and "[playing] kids all the time".  That's not what I said and to say so is to misrepresent me.  

Also although I don't really rate McHugh, he and Main are not the sort of players I object to us bringing in.  It's 2nd string players who block the way for young players and do very little in return.  We've brought in dozens of these players over the last four or five seasons.  We all know who they are so there is no need to make a list.  However I'd ask you to think about wages, agents fees and other expenses involved in bringing these players in and then think about if that is cost a effective use of the budget.  If the club can't produce young players better than than that standard, and I think we absolutely positively can, then there is something badly wrong with our youth development.  But the proof is in front of your eyes - Campbell is our first pick midfielder when we've brought in three or four lesser players in the same position during the close season.

You mention Ross C and Thistle.  Well both should serve as a warning which if not heeded may well result in a similar outcome.  We cannot continue to rely on lower league players.  Eventually it catches up on you as the above clubs have discovered.  Ross County won the U20s league title yet didn't give their young players a chance to come through.  The one that did - Keillor Dunn, even got dropped mid season for an abject has been Chris Eagles.  Kettlewell has obviously been given the job with youth development in mind, he was manager of their U20s, but the realization has come too late.

As for playing better teams - remember one of the few first team opportunities Ross MacLean has had was an excellent display against Celtic at Fir Park in the 3-4 defeat.  We really need to conquer this fear of playing kids.  In fact they shouldn't even be referred to as kids.  If you are old enough for the army you are old enough to play football - they are young men.  The better football they are exposed to the better they will be and they absolutely  should have responsibilities place on them - they are drawing a wage from the club.  Motherwell is a club built on producing young talent but Tom Boyd, Phil O'Donnell and James McFadden didn't have the careers they did by being put in a cotton wool world of U20s football.

I'm not complaining about the cup runs, but the league form this season was poor.  Between the end of the first round of matches and the split we won 4 out of 22 matches.  I attended 30+ matches this season and yet didn't see us win a league match between 14 October (away to Accies) and 24 April (home to Dundee). Today was also only the second time we scored three goals in a league match.   I've said it before and I'll say it again - play like we have since Moult left and it will be in a relegation struggle next season.  We HAVE to improve but I don't expect anyone to listen to me until it's in front of their eyes - or perhaps even when it is.

Difficult to really gauge how good we were though cause Accies were absolutely rotten and already on their holidays.

We’ve lost 17 of our last 22 games. We weren’t on our holidays, we’re just absolutely shite.

Thank f**k this season is over.

Fucking hell  @Ya Bezzer!  Time to give it up. 

It's incredible you can't see this season for what it is. A transitional season where we finally got rid of the old guard and brought in a matchday squad of new players. As others have said, the manager is willing to play our own youngsters if they show they are good enough. 

Despite not being great for a fair bit of the campaign, we've been comfortably mid-table and shown in a one off cup game we can compete, and beat, some of the best teams in the league. If we are still playing this "style" two years down the line, you may have a point. But for now, you're moaning for moaning's sake. It's cup final week ffs! 

Have a beer. Try and get yer Nat King. Get your plans for Hampden finalised. These times don't come around too often it. Crack a fucking smile. 

On 5/13/2018 at 10:22, Desp said:

Fucking hell  @Ya Bezzer!  Time to give it up. 

It's incredible you can't see this season for what it is. A transitional season where we finally got rid of the old guard and brought in a matchday squad of new players. As others have said, the manager is willing to play our own youngsters if they show they are good enough. 

Despite not being great for a fair bit of the campaign, we've been comfortably mid-table and shown in a one off cup game we can compete, and beat, some of the best teams in the league. If we are still playing this "style" two years down the line, you may have a point. But for now, you're moaning for moaning's sake. It's cup final week ffs! 

Have a beer. Try and get yer Nat King. Get your plans for Hampden finalised. These times don't come around too often it. Crack a fucking smile. 

My analysis of the league season is based on what I saw, not on if it's a sunny day, or if I get paid that week, or any other mood factor.  Sorry.

The fact that you describe "a fair bit" of the campaign as being "not great" instead of saying that most of the season was poor just shows through the language you use that you aren't being honest with yourself.   You are absolutely straining to disagree with me. 

As for myself being miserable I might say that your absolute requirement to paint a positive picture out of 6 wins in 26 matches is actually a mask behind which lies some kind of hollow desperation in the face of actual reality.  Since we are inventing character profiles and all that.  :lol:

Anyway, let's hope we are both smiling on Saturday evening.

17 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

My analysis of the league season is based on what I saw, not on if it's a sunny day, or if I get paid that week, or any other mood factor.  Sorry.

The fact that you describe "a fair bit" of the campaign as being "not great" instead of saying that most of the season was poor just shows through the language you use that you aren't being honest with yourself.   You are absolutely straining to disagree with me. 

As for myself being miserable I might say that your absolute requirement to paint a positive picture out of 6 wins in 26 matches is actually a mask behind which lies some kind of hollow desperation in the face of actual reality.  Since we are inventing character profiles and all that.  :lol:

Jesus wept.

I've absolutely no need to invent a character profile for you.  You make it very clear just how much of a massive bellend you are with every post you make. 

You carry out greeting that we don't  demolish St Johnstone & Partick Thistle like a Guardiola-led Man City every other week, and I'll continue to enjoy that we're on the build-up to our second cup final of the season after being comfortably clear of relegation despite having one of the smallest budgets in the league.  All achieved with a group of players who give the impression they would run through a brick wall for the football club.

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

Jesus wept.

I've absolutely no need to invent a character profile for you.  You make it very clear just how much of a massive bellend you are with every post you make. 

You carry out greeting that we don't  demolish St Johnstone & Partick Thistle like a Guardiola-led Man City every other week, and I'll continue to enjoy that we're on the build-up to our second cup final of the season after being comfortably clear of relegation despite having one of the smallest budgets in the league.  All achieved with a group of players who give the impression they would run through a brick wall for the football club.

I like how you deleted the nice bit I signed off on and then call me a bellend.

Anyway Desp doesn't like me.  My descent into misery continues!!!

JFC!

:whistle 

On 2/25/2017 at 17:12, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think McGhee should resign after today but I don't expect us to get any better.

The fan ownership model means even if we survive this season we are certainties to go down sooner rather than later, probably next season (can you imagine that team without McDonald?) or the season after that.

I've been saying it all year but fans need to adjust their expectations to the new reality.

They deserve better than we got today but when Hibs come up and the Top 6 positions are locked up by the city clubs the best we will be looking at is Bottom 6 football in the Premiership.

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/15446-mcghee-out/&do=findComment&comment=488287

Would Mr. Bezzer! do well to take heed of his own advice? It's not for me to say but, yes.

Since the winter break we took an average of 1.4 points per game. In the 15 games from the start of the season up to the Celtic game at Parkhead at the start of December we were on an average of 1.53 points per game. We had a crash in form that coincided with not only our best player and top goalscorer being injured but also half our team.

We've just finished a season where we conceded 20 goals fewer, our goal difference was 17 goals better than the season prior and we're 10 points better off . We've also reached 2 finals beating Premiership opposition at every knock-out stage (including Aberdeen twice and Rangers once). On top of that we've also ended up with a club record 20 clean sheets  (including 13 in the league in which only Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts have better) that you're trying to spin as simply having been because other teams strikers are shite.

To date Robinson's managerial record after over a year in charge has him on a 45.2% win rate.

You don't like Robinson, I believe the choice phrase was that he "absolutely reeks of failure", that's absolutely fine but seriously...take a fucking day off man. The rest of us will sit here adjusting our expectations to the new reality.

That's all well and good, capt_oats, but my spreadsheet shows that we've lost 8 of our last 11 Saturday 3pm home games against Premiership opposition that coincided with Mercury being in retrograde and an odd number of days in the month. 

Robinson out.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

JFC!

:whistle 

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/15446-mcghee-out/&do=findComment&comment=488287

Would Mr. Bezzer! do well to take heed of his own advice? It's not for me to say but, yes.

Since the winter break we took an average of 1.4 points per game. In the 15 games from the start of the season up to the Celtic game at Parkhead at the start of December we were on an average of 1.53 points per game. We had a crash in form that coincided with not only our best player and top goalscorer being injured but also half our team.

We've just finished a season where we conceded 20 goals fewer, our goal difference was 17 goals better than the season prior and we're 10 points better off . We've also reached 2 finals beating Premiership opposition at every knock-out stage (including Aberdeen twice and Rangers once). On top of that we've also ended up with a club record 20 clean sheets  (including 13 in the league in which only Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts have better) that you're trying to spin as simply because other teams strikers are shite.

To date Robinson's managerial record after over a year in charge has him on a 45.2% win rate.

You don't like Robinson, I believe the choice phrase was that he "absolutely reeks of failure", that's absolutely fine but seriously...take a fucking day off man. The rest of us will sit here adjusting our expectations to the new reality.

I keep saying it but no one listens because apparently there are serious reading comprehension issues around here.

All I want is to see is young players given a chance instead of rotten 2nd string lower league squad players who have contributed nothing to the club and to play a better standard of football.  These are not unreasonable requests.

I am not and have never complained about not competing with city clubs, or not wining this match or that match, or about finishing 7th or 8th or 10th or not playing like 'Man City' or 'Barcelona'. I am also not complaining about our cup form.

I am complaining about the standard of football played across the league campaign which is the major part of the season.  Oh and by the way Robinsons win rate in the league this season was 34% which is acceptable, although in the last 28 matches of the season it was 25% which I think is a little bit concerning.

So when a poor style of football is served up but doesn't even produce results, which they haven't in the league since about September-October, I think I should be allowed to point that out.

Back at the start of the season I said we would not continue our good form because our midfield was very poor and we had been quite lucky to get some of those wins.  I got pelters then but I was proved right.  The 2nd and 3rd rounds of the campaign were poor, often very poor.

Now I am saying will have to improve significantly next season or we won't finish as high as 7th.  Ignore me if you will.

As for Robinson, when he's done well I've praised him and when he hasn't I haven't.  I do not have some pathological hatred of Robinson in the way that the McGhee haters out there did. I judge him on what I see on the pitch. It's that simple. 

And instead of playing some kind of hindsight card lets look at the facts.  Did Steve Robinson reek of failure at the point of history when I said that?  Quite frankly, it's embarrassing to even make that type of argument never mind trawl the archives for it.

Maybe you and others need to take a rest and allow a difference of opinion.

Annnnywayyy.

Its gonna be a long week looking forward to Saturday. You can probably guess the team right now tbh, Grimshaws more than played his way in and I’d be shocked if both Campbell and Mchugh didn’t start.

I don’t know why but I’m a lot more buzzing for this final than I have been for any other final we’ve made (perhaps with the exception of the ‘coop’ final where we eventually got pumped by the ****).

In all my time following Well I’m yet to celebrate a meaningful goal in a final, so that’s my personal aim for Saturday. I’m off to Mexico for the Scotland the following Monday- it could potentially be the best few days of my life haha. Please this once, let it just go perfectly. Just this once! 

Archived