Stadiums with Tracks

HibeeJibee

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts who are joining the East of Scotland League next season have a red ash running track around their ground, which - appropriately enough - is called Ballast Bank. There can't be many of those left nowadays and they must be getting as rare as blaes pitches. Anyway, it got be thinking - how many football grounds in Scotland actually have tracks of one sort or another? I can think of:

Berwick Rangers
Speedway

panorama.jpg

Cowdenbeath
Stock Car Racing

Cowdenbeath-Central-Park.jpg

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale
Athletics

lthv10.png

Stirling University EOS
Athletics

Pitch%20One.jpg

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts
Athletics/Cycling

bally_53d2ade35cf92.png

Orkney
Athletics

orkney1.jpg

Ashfield
Speedway

IMAG0118.jpg

Carluke Rovers
Athletics

carluke02.jpg

Lewis United
Athletics

lewisunited2.jpg

Whitletts Victoria
Athletics

dam_park_ayr06.jpg

Well outside Scotland in the top divisions;

In Northern Ireland Ballymena United still play with a stockcar racing track going around it at the showgrounds that has 2 big seated stands along each side.  Portadown's Shamrock Park used to have stockcars too though now they have gone leaving an oddly shaped ground. 

Glentoran still play at the Oval, on track around it though is still set out like the stadiums of old, much like Hampden.

Derry City's Brandywell reopened this year with 3/4g down and greyhound track moved away, a few 100 yards onto the training pitches.

Waterford United play at the Regional Sports Centre, Athletics Track

Barry Town play at Jenner Park an Athletics Track. 

Gateshead and West Ham in England.

Though the best has to have been Northampton playing on the side of the Cricket County ground before moving to Sixfields.

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

Does Warout not have a track or have I made that memory up?

It does have a blaze track sure there used to be a Highland games in Glenrothes which was at Warout maybe there still is.

The Ballast Bank in Inverkeithing hosts the Highland games hence the track.

31 minutes ago, Unknown Fan said:

Well outside Scotland in the top divisions;

In Northern Ireland Ballymena United still play with a stockcar racing track going around it at the showgrounds that has 2 big seated stands along each side.  Portadown's Shamrock Park used to have stockcars too though now they have gone leaving an oddly shaped ground. 

Glentoran still play at the Oval, on track around it though is still set out like the stadiums of old, much like Hampden.

Derry City's Brandywell reopened this year with 3/4g down and greyhound track moved away, a few 100 yards onto the training pitches.

Waterford United play at the Regional Sports Centre, Athletics Track

Barry Town play at Jenner Park an Athletics Track. 

Gateshead and West Ham in England.

Though the best has to have been Northampton playing on the side of the Cricket County ground before moving to Sixfields.

Brammell Lane home of Sheffield United used to be the same as Northampton re hosting cricket. In the Engllish non league scene Stourbrige is 3 sided for the same reason.

1 hour ago, stuthejag said:

Former home of Partick Thistle Meadowside had a cycle track back in the day 1897%20Plan%20of%20Meadowside.jpg

Most clubs with oval shaped grounds had tracks of some sort.  Albion Rovers Cliftonhill has had speedway, stock cars and greyhounds in the past.

Central Park as well as the stock cars has hosted greyhounds and speedway, Berwick has also had speedway as has Dens Park and the old Love Street probably more but that's off the top of my head.

Edited to add.

The Shay home of Halifax used to host speedway as did Hampden.

Wembley had speedway and greyhounds.

38 minutes ago, Unknown Fan said:

Bramall Lane (Sheffield Utd) was also a three sided football stadium / cricket ground with Yorkshire using it as their county ground until 1973.

Here's a picture of it in 1965

Bramall_Lane_-_geograph.org.uk_-_993721.jpg

16 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Wembley had speedway and greyhounds and Hampden also the greyhounds.

I know a fair few ground hosted the dugs - including your own Central Park - but I can't remember them at Hampden.

Ibrox used to host The Rangers Sports:

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I know a fair few ground hosted the dugs - including your own Central Park - but I can't remember them at Hampden.

Ibrox used to host The Rangers Sports:

That was a typo on my part which I edited.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Fair enough - hadn't notice the edit   I was worried that my senility was more advanced than it is.

You must have been quick seeing it as I noticed my mistake quickly but not quickly enough:lol:

Archived