Needing a strong Rangers in Scottish football is nonsense

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Winning leagues is about consistency, Celtic can only effect each team 4 times a season.
This season killie and Hibs have proved my point, the improvement they have made this season and the consistency they have shown makes next season more interesting.
I will start with Killie, Kilmarnock started the season very poor their first 8 games they didn't win any games, in fact they only got 3 points from a possible 24,now they got rid of Mr McCulloch and appointed Mr Clarke for the next 25 games they only lost 3 games,this kind of consistency has nothing to do with resources or money it has everything to do with football knowledge from one man.
Now Neil Lennon at Hibs from Christmas Lennon knew his team were lacking goals he made the decision to get rid of Murray and Stokes and bring in Kamberi,Hibs are on a 12 game unbeaten run in fact they have only lost 1 game in 17 in the league,again this kind of consistency and improvement is everything to do with football knowledge.

You can embellish your argument with all the guff you want but at the end of the day you're still claiming finances have no impact on success which is ludicrous.

Has Gary McAllister ever actually played in Scotland? Apologies if he moved down south at a very young age.  Can only ever mind him playing there.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Has Gary McAllister ever actually played in Scotland? Apologies if he moved down south at a very young age.  Can only ever mind him playing there.

He started his career at Motherwell.

The top four teams, from the top four leagues, going straight into the group stages won't affect our chances of qualifying. 

It's certainly going to be a lot harder. Only 4 slots available via the Champions route where as in the last 3 seasons there were 5. There is also an extra qualifying round so the chances of qualifying are less.

44 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

A question I've been wondering as well. A quick Wiki shows he played 70 league games (Wiki doesn't count cup games for some reason) for Motherwell from 1981-1985 before leaving for England and never playing in Scotland again.

So his 'knowledge' of Scottish football will be pretty much zero.

I liked McAllister as a player. Thought he was great. Any respect I had for him has now gone though for having anything to do with Sevco.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

It's certainly going to be a lot harder. Only 4 slots available via the Champions route where as in the last 3 seasons there were 5. There is also an extra qualifying round so the chances of qualifying are less.

Aye, it seems I was mistaken with my belief that we'd still have three qualifiers.

Tbf in QR1 Celtic will play some minnow and the ties aren't any earlier than QR2 was last season. There is 1 less slot as noted.

EL is worse for us - although the ties are later, only 13 clubs proceed from the qualifiers to the groupstage, compared to 22 this season.

Tbf in QR1 Celtic will play some minnow and the ties aren't any earlier than QR2 was last season. There is 1 less slot as noted.

EL is worse for us - although the ties are later, only 13 clubs proceed from the qualifiers to the groupstage, compared to 22 this season.

And there is a Champions path in the Europa league qualifiers.

Back on topic I don't think people realise how hard it will be for even an "old style" Rangers to make the group stages even if "Ge55ard" turns out to be a managerial genius.

Fair play to him for the article.  Having a go at Doncaster and co for trying to railroad clubs into voting was my favourite part, still irks me to this day. Still can’t believe they came out publicly about the tv deal and saying how shafted we would be and basically gifted all negotiation hands to BT/Sky.

8 hours ago, MJC said:

Scottish football doesn't need a 'strong' Rangers or 'strong' anyone else for that matter.

What Scottish football needs is for a large section of its supporting population to stop focussing their time and energies in obsessing about Rangers and instead focus their time and energies on supporting their own clubs. 

Ahh but Sevco....

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Why does laughing at Rangers constantly affect how much someone’s supports their club?

’Nah can’t go on Saturday m8 I need to sit on twitter and P and B and goad Rangers fans’.

It wouldn't surprise me....

On 08/05/2018 at 20:45, wastecoatwilly said:

Win the other 34 games and Aberdeen win the league,Celtic's resources have NO effect, football is about football knowledge, the coin is overrated and an excuse to football clubs that are not good enough.Will be interesting to see what Steve Clarke can do with a full season in charge at Killie only lost 3 games in 25 in the league before the split.

On 08/05/2018 at 21:08, nsr said:

Why didn't you compete against PSG then?

@wastecoatwilly are you going to answer this?

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Why does laughing at Rangers constantly affect how much someone’s supports their club?

’Nah can’t go on Saturday m8 I need to sit on twitter and P and B and goad Rangers fans’.

:lol:

Spot on.  It's a thoroughly absurd suggestion that it's one or the other.

6 hours ago, MJC said:

I'm not telling anyone to do anything, rather putting forward a suggestion that if there was less focus on one particular club and supporters concentrated on supporting and championing their own respective clubs the game would be in a better place. 

How so?

I've been utterly obsessed with the whole Rangers saga these last few years.  I've loved it - can't get enough of it in fact.

Were I less so, how would the game benefit?

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Fair play to him for the article.  Having a go at Doncaster and co for trying to railroad clubs into voting was my favourite part, still irks me to this day. Still can’t believe they came out publicly about the tv deal and saying how shafted we would be and basically gifted all negotiation hands to BT/Sky.

That was totally embarrassing from Doncaster, the same c**t that fucked us over for £1 million more from Setanta and basically slapped Sky in the face after they had offered a more secure sponsorship than Setanta. From the posts on this thread MT could do a better job than Doncaster in totally fucking up any good deal in the future. :rolleyes:

Archived