Needing a strong Rangers in Scottish football is nonsense

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Oh ffs!

It's not "hope"or "optimism" on my part, for my dearest wish is that they fail.  

Miserably.

OK, fair point MT.

I'd rather see the game prosper as a whole. Others wish a differing solution?

I'd rather see our clubs get decent runs in Europe possibly close to the quarter final stages every other year. To me it just makes more economic sense in every sense.

Lastly, quite possible Celtic can f**k next seasons European campaign very early on. Shit happens, do enjoy, I won't lose any sleep over it.

6 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

You need the resources to buy a squad with the required depth and talent to win every game. The very issues the Best of the Rest suffer from are injuries to 1st choice players, loss of form of key men and 1st team squads that don't have enough strength in depth. it also helps when you can afford to pay x2 the going rate at the other clubs for squad players. AFAIK Aberdeen's highest earners are going to be mid four figures a week. That's a poorly paid Celtic reserve.

Celtic play 12 to 15 more games than any other club in Scotland within the same time fame so celtic's resources are stretched more than any other club in Scotland,every squad has injuries and suspensions plus international games, this season Hibs will play 46 games with Celtic playing 61 the effects of success. 

12 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s a nonsensical argument. It has no basis in fact or logic.

You’re not even arguing that the impact of resources is overstated. You are saying it has NO impact.

I’m sure Steve Clarke would also tell you it’s a dribbling moronic argument.

How much impact did celtic's resources have in the Aberdeen v sevco game tonight?

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic play 12 to 15 more games than any other club in Scotland within the same time fame so celtic's resources are stretched more than any other club in Scotland,every squad has injuries and suspensions plus international games, this season Hibs will play 46 games with Celtic playing 61 the effects of success. 

And you have the depth of squad to cope with it. Number of games is a fallacy - there are winning teams in the Juniors that can play 50+ matches if they have very successful seasons, with a maximum of 25 players being allowed to be registered at any time. It's about player quality when you do have to chop and change. Aberdeen's two main strikers are not firing on all cylinders just now so they've had to throw a pretty green 21 year old in for the run-in. If Cosgrove wasn't playing, they'd be persisting with May and Rooney or, god forbid, Maynard. Celtic's resources mean they always have an option who can put the ball in the back of the net and can afford players who are more consistent.

Bottom line is, well the bottom line. Very few players outwith Celtic and Rangers have got 6 figure salaries. That means in a competitive market, the better players available are not playing in our top flight for the Best of the Rest. Our market (I'm an Aberdeen fan) is the lower reaches of England, where players with 1st team experience can be found who want to play for the money on offer.

There's a reason why Celtic never finish top 2 in the Champions League group stages, isn't there? Forget the top side, if you got maximum points in the other 4 games, you'd qualify no? What stops you? And how does it differ to the financially-stretched clubs in our top flight trying to keep up with yourselves?

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

How much impact did celtic's resources have in the Aberdeen v sevco game tonight?

Your non-case and the evidence you use in support of it could be no more laughable.

8 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

OK, fair point MT.

I'd rather see the game prosper as a whole. Others wish a differing solution?

I'd rather see our clubs get decent runs in Europe possibly close to the quarter final stages every other year. To me it just makes more economic sense in every sense.

Lastly, quite possible Celtic can f**k next seasons European campaign very early on. Shit happens, do enjoy, I won't lose any sleep over it.

It doesn't make even narrow economic sense to allow the already wealthiest to pocket fortunes, while the others can at best scrap for tiny fractions - certainly not if the idea is for the parties to compete with each other, using resources that cost money.

Your notion of what our game looks like when it "prospers" is wildly different from mine and typically self serving.

Scottish football doesn't need a 'strong' Rangers or 'strong' anyone else for that matter.

What Scottish football needs is for a large section of its supporting population to stop focussing their time and energies in obsessing about Rangers and instead focus their time and energies on supporting their own clubs. 

Why does laughing at Rangers constantly affect how much someone’s supports their club?

’Nah can’t go on Saturday m8 I need to sit on twitter and P and B and goad Rangers fans’.

Scottish football doesn't need a 'strong' Rangers or 'strong' anyone else for that matter.
What Scottish football needs is for a large section of its supporting population to stop focussing their time and energies in obsessing about Rangers and instead focus their time and energies on supporting their own clubs. 
You mean like a Motherwell fan constantly interjecting in Rangers threads to wish them well, then claiming its some sort of trolling?

That sort of focus?

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

You mean like a Motherwell fan constantly interjecting in Rangers threads to wish them well, then claiming its some sort of trolling?

That sort of focus?

Perhaps yes. I too have enjoyed being antagonistic to some of the more ridiculous Rangers obsessors and their double standards but then again maybe that doesn't help either. I have always liked showing up double standards, hypocrisy and idiotic rambling though, always been a weakness.

10 minutes ago, MJC said:

Perhaps yes. I too have enjoyed being antagonistic to some of the more ridiculous Rangers obsessors and their double standards but then again maybe that doesn't help either. I have always liked showing up double standards, hypocrisy and idiotic rambling though, always been a weakness.

:lol: Fighting the good fight for P&B righteousness.

You're a troll mate, an extremely tedious one at that given it masks the reasonable poster you can be when you talk about Motherwell.

You have either a short, or a very selective memory, even for a tedious troll.
There was a time, not so long ago, when those in charge of a now defunct club called Rangers spent all of their time and energy in obsessing how to win trophies and titles by cheating, lawbreaking and defrauding the Exchequer and other clubs.
And they were pretty good at it too.
So when vacuous clowns like yourself pop up with your self-righteous pish telling people what and what not to do, my immediate reaction is to say “f**k you.”

16 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

You have either a short, or a very selective memory, even for a tedious troll.
There was a time, not so long ago, when those in charge of a now defunct club called Rangers spent all of their time and energy in obsessing how to win trophies and titles by cheating, lawbreaking and defrauding the Exchequer and other clubs.
And they were pretty good at it too.
So when vacuous clowns like yourself pop up with your self-righteous pish telling people what and what not to do, my immediate reaction is to say “f**k you.”

I'm not telling anyone to do anything, rather putting forward a suggestion that if there was less focus on one particular club and supporters concentrated on supporting and championing their own respective clubs the game would be in a better place. 

41 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

:lol: Fighting the good fight for P&B righteousness.

You're a troll mate, an extremely tedious one at that given it masks the reasonable poster you can be when you talk about Motherwell.

I am most definitely a troll when it comes to Rangers and the circus that so many are so desperate to get involved in regarding them. They are nothing. An irrelevance. However for some reason they are the most popular topic of discussion for so many football fans. I'm sure that on this forum alone if you were to put the words Rangers or Sevco into the search engine it would return a large number of results. That to me is pretty pathetic.

Even articles like the one quoted in this topic are driven by needless Rangers obsessed rattling.

Seriously, why not give this a try...forget Rangers/Sevco or whatever they're called these days. Treat them as the irrelevance they are and maybe they will pale into even more of an insignificance than they already are. Take the Steven Gerrard appointment as an example. Most of the chat on this forum and no doubt others has been from non-Rangers fans. Seriously? Who cares? They are nothing. Just an average sized club in Glasgow who will never again compete with their great rivals and their support are made up largely of people who are stuck in another time and have a ridiculous superiority complex. They should be pitied rather than hated imo.

Winning leagues is about consistency, Celtic can only effect each team 4 times a season.
This season killie and Hibs have proved my point, the improvement they have made this season and the consistency they have shown makes next season more interesting.
I will start with Killie, Kilmarnock started the season very poor their first 8 games they didn't win any games, in fact they only got 3 points from a possible 24,now they got rid of Mr McCulloch and appointed Mr Clarke for the next 25 games they only lost 3 games,this kind of consistency has nothing to do with resources or money it has everything to do with football knowledge from one man.
Now Neil Lennon at Hibs from Christmas Lennon knew his team were lacking goals he made the decision to get rid of Murray and Stokes and bring in Kamberi,Hibs are on a 12 game unbeaten run in fact they have only lost 1 game in 17 in the league,again this kind of consistency and improvement is everything to do with football knowledge.

33 minutes ago, MJC said:

Even articles like the one quoted in this topic are driven by needless Rangers obsessed rattling.

Quite the opposite, the topic is that Scottish football's obsession with Sevco, and indeed the "old firm" is nonsense, and needs to stop. 

Archived