The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

Only one team in the league with a worse record over the last 5 games than us??..yes,its Albion....ominous signs with performances dropping off since the promising signs earlier in the season!

Whats happened to the difficult to beat mentality?

That postponement at Berwick..... Berwick gubbed 5.0 and 4.0 on either side of it and perhaps an easier game for Mclaren and Gerry to miss through suspension. An expensive day, I reckon. Still, we've the potential of away games at Elgin, Peterhead and Berwick midweek in February to look forward to. There's yer Christmas right there, kids.

No team in our Division could cope with 4 centre-halves being out. Throw in the fact that the player you have drafted in to the defence goes off early in the game.  Magee then picks up a knock that on another given day would have probably seen him subbed off. Saturday was bad but there were reasons. If we had got pumped 4-0 at home by Elgin and everything was fine I would be worried but given the circumstances on Saturday I forget it and move on.

Unfortunately I expect to lose at Clyde as Gerry is still out. You can't play with a make-shift defence against Goodwillie and not come out unscathed.

Looking forward, Gibby will be back in January and we can have the defensive pairing that I believe is by far the best in the division playing again.

Over the past few years, the critical time of the season is January to April. If we can go on a run in that period then we will be in the play-offs.

1 hour ago, The man with no name said:

No team in our Division could cope with 4 centre-halves being out. Throw in the fact that the player you have drafted in to the defence goes off early in the game.  Magee then picks up a knock that on another given day would have probably seen him subbed off. Saturday was bad but there were reasons. If we had got pumped 4-0 at home by Elgin and everything was fine I would be worried but given the circumstances on Saturday I forget it and move on.

Unfortunately I expect to lose at Clyde as Gerry is still out. You can't play with a make-shift defence against Goodwillie and not come out unscathed.

Looking forward, Gibby will be back in January and we can have the defensive pairing that I believe is by far the best in the division playing again.

Over the past few years, the critical time of the season is January to April. If we can go on a run in that period then we will be in the play-offs.

A voice of reason. I'm a bit gobsmacked about the reaction to Saturday's game.  The stats below tell the story. 10 shots at goal and 56% possession doesn't say to me the guys weren't trying. They were still battling to get a goal right up to the final whistle. It's the shots on target figure that's the horror show.  Not for Elgin though, 4 out of 5 is excellent finishing at this level.

Fully agree about the changes at the back. What I learned more than anything about Saturday was how much Gerry is missed, not just for his heading and tackling, but the influence he has on the younger guys around him. James Grant has been a standout this season. Top candidate for YPotY already. But he looked well out of place on Saturday. Gerry can be a bit harsh with the langauge on him sometimes but after Saturday I get it. Magee too really struggles with his positional sense. That long pass at the second wouldn't have got past Gerry or Dom or Gibby. An dthe third goal was scored by the guy Magee was marking when the free kick was taken. Fourth goal, same as the second.

Likewise, without Hawke at the other end the youngsters up front didn't have a sense of direction or purpose. Unless Gow's going to change, quickly, he'll demotivate rather than motivate youngsters.  Goal 1 - he completely muffs a simple pass and instead of trying to recover it for some bizarre reason starts reprimanding East as Elgin romp away with the ball. Goal 2 - Moore runs into the channel and space, facing the goal, and Gow decides the best option is for him to take a strike at goal with a defender right in front of him. Pish! Roberts too (MotM?) had a poor game and was at fault from a midfield perspective for both goals 3 & 4.

Saturday will be tough but having Dom and Lewis in the right places will certainly help. Martin is way ahead of East at the moment so him on the left and McLean on the right. Peters to start ahead of Gow. Why's Gerry still out? He got a double-yellow. Injured? 

image.png.5059afda5a59b18324927c1b6a743c2a.png

19 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Is Gerry McLaughlin still suspended for Saturday? The game at hampden was probably our worst performance of the season. 

The man with no name says he is...he got a double-yellow but it looks like two seperate suspensions here which suggests two games missed. Which means Saturday.  Clearly your bitches at Berwick got last week's game cancelled to give you a chance of winning. Another Clyde betting scandal here methinks.

I see Goodwillie has woken up. Just in time for the transfer window. Funny that. Must be hard for him to be trapped at a lower league team, stuck in the bottom tier for over a decade.

image.png.5a605c49b8fd05de11c49a655065e2b6.png

8 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The man with no name says he is...he got a double-yellow but it looks like two seperate suspensions here which suggests two games missed. Which means Saturday.  Clearly your bitches at Berwick got last week's game cancelled to give you a chance of winning. Another Clyde betting scandal here methinks.

I see Goodwillie has woken up. Just in time for the transfer window. Funny that. Must be hard for him to be trapped at a lower league team, stuck in the bottom tier for over a decade.

image.png.5a605c49b8fd05de11c49a655065e2b6.png

One will be for the red card and the second for reaching six yellows.

There is a dire lack of belief in the side just now. Today was a case in point. Thats something for the head coach to address ... if he can. Despite the different formation today that didnt stop us losing soft goals yet again. Despite fielding 3 in central defence (although i did think overall Jambo was quite useful in there) Goodwillie was in splendid isolation on both occasions. I am a fan of James Grant but again his loss of possession cheaply cost us a goal.....not the only time of late....and we've just allowed arguably the best right back at the club to leave for pastures new. The formation today also meant everything we tried was going through the middle when it was crying out for someone going wide and going round the back. Kurtis is playing too deep.. end of. Finally it was heartening to see Gibby back in the squad. Will be good to see him and Gerry back together.

A wee update on Ross Millen, for those who maybe interested, got his reward for hard work & willingness to learn with an 18 month contract this morning. Clarke stressing there isn't a more committed lad at the club in training.

He played his part again today & on his 4 performances so far, he doesnt look out of place in the top flight, the lad seems to have grasped his chance with both hands.

A Happy New Year when it comes guys & all the best for the rest of the season.

Edited by C4mmy31

I think for the game next week we have to move Kurtis forward to the role smart played today. Going back Marks comments he wants to move Jambo back into the midfield so why not have him and Calvin and Kurtis in front of them. I thought Calvin was good today kept it simple and tidy and he has cracking delivery. Think big Hawke will come back in if fit. You could have a good 3 at the back. Gerry, Dom and Lewis. My team would-be. 

Jordan

Dom        Gerry.         Lewis

James.       Calvin  Jambo.        Ciaran

Kurtis

Josh.         Hawke

On paper that looks a decent and solid line-up, but it doesn't address yesterday's chronic issue of a lack of width. If you are having a back three with Calvin & Jambo as sitting midfielders then wouldn't you be as well putting natural wingers (we have several) in instead of James & Ciaran, especially against the weakest team we are going to face all season? The last thing you want to be doing is to put out a side with five defenders and Jambo (a naturally defensive midfielder) in it as that sends out completely the wrong message to 'Rovers and they will gain confidence from seeing such an overly cautious team sheet. Given our recent run of form which is worse than theirs, they will be targetting this game as one they can win and I'd want an attacking line-up with at least one natural winger in it to cause them problems right from the start than spend the first half hour getting the guys used to such a radically new line-up. I don't think we played that badly yesterday, and if big Gerry & Hawke are back then I'd like to think we could afford to be more adventurous.

This would be good game to get Gibby back in either in a 4 alongside Gerry which was really succesful at the start of the season (i dont think either Dom or Lewis are playing so well to keep Gibby and Gerry out) or in a 3 with Gerry and Dom, although i would suggest as others have that for this game is a 3 really necessary and I dont think Grant and Summers give enough end product. Both arent that great at the final ball.

Was it only me or did anyone else question our bench yesterday?...all strikers apart from Gibby...are we now short in midfield?...no Kindlan(maybe injured again?)...feel like a record that's got stuck but could do with some real experience in the middle of the park as don't think young Calvin is anywhere near ready for a run in the team!

Disagree on McGrory. He's not had a great number of games, but I can't recall him ever looking out of place. Hope him and Grant stick around next season after getting valuable experience under their belt this season. Both will only get better imo. 

Gus was usually keen to bring in loanees during the window. Which areas do you think Mark will look to strengthen ? Personally i would go for 3 guys who are built like brick shit houses and we might then be able to go toe to toe against some of the sides in this division.

A wee update on Ross Millen, for those who maybe interested, got his reward for hard work & willingness to learn with an 18 month contract this morning. Clarke stressing there isn't a more committed lad at the club in training.

He played his part again today & on his 4 performances so far, he doesnt look out of place in the top flight, the lad seems to have grasped his chance with both hands.

A Happy New Year when it comes guys & all the best for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the update C4mmy31. Ross is a clever player and his frustration showed last year at the lack of guile around the team. I've little doubt he'll do better at the higher level.

2018 was a phenomenal year for Killie. 74 points across the year, one more than Celtic. Special time for your club. If you've any lively young strikers needing some league experience let us know. [emoji846]