The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

4 hours ago, strachan186772 said:

A change needs to be made to the defence. The back four of Grant Summers McLaughlin McLaren worked really well for us to begin with but now not so much, but it's difficult at this point exactly what changes need to be made.

Not so much just about the back four, but how we defend as a team. For the most part, I feel that we look more solid with a sitter in front of the defence. 

Having said that, I think it's important to give the manager time to put his stamp on things in terms of systems etc.  That takes time. Important to have a bit of perspective. We've lost the last four, but we've been heavy underdogs in three of those. The next few weeks will bring fixtures against teams around our level in the league, which will hopefully bring some positive results.

4 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Are you Gus in disguise?

Lol..only adding to what an earlier poster had said about Lachlan leaving...if both these rumours are true then IMO something isn't quite right as both have featured this season and both done well.

Smart and Lachlan can  play various positions and that has to be an asset for any squad or maybe they are fed up with either lack of opportunity or being played out of their natural roles.Hope these rumours are just that as both have shown that they can easily play at this level.

Lol..only adding to what an earlier poster had said about Lachlan leaving...if both these rumours are true then IMO something isn't quite right as both have featured this season and both done well.
Smart and Lachlan can  play various positions and that has to be an asset for any squad or maybe they are fed up with either lack of opportunity or being played out of their natural roles.Hope these rumours are just that as both have shown that they can easily play at this level.

Lachlan looked decent enough but had only a few games to be measured against. It's unfair to compare him and others against those who've been stretched every week. I would grant you though that in some games, physically stronger men might have fared better. But then again we beat Peterhead, one of the most physical in the league.

October was a steep hill and the guys did well. November was the front face of the Eiger. December should be better and might give the coach more time to try things. May's when it counts.

Too many of these defenders when playing on these plastic pitches let the ball bounce before trying to play it and subsequently put themselves and the team under pressure. Second goal on Saturday was case in point. Also there is far too much reliance on Gerry to win balls from set pieces. Every team we play has at least 3 giants in their side and we need to work out how to combat that. I thought young McGhee looked ok when he came on and probably deserves a run in place of Dom. Thought Gow showed some nice touches and might be the one to show some invention.

Smart has not left the club.  Gow is signing. A considerable number of players are not happy at this time. Believe quite a few spoke to Mark about there position. Think his problem is he does not really talk to the players that are not playing or left out or dropped and let them know why they are not involved to keep them motivated. Within the squad he has people who he has not got the nerve to drop no matter how they are playing. 

Think his squad is too big and he does not have the man management skills at this time to deal with unhappy players. 

As I have said before Gus always had a large squad he fell out with so many players during the season. 

I think Mark has to take his squad down to a more manageable amount. Our squad looks good enough to stay out of trouble only if he manages it better and the fact Albion are so poor. 

Preferred the football he tried to play initially but it seems to have reverted to the punt and chase football again.

Needs to change things to give the squad a shot in the arm or we could see a considerable amount of players leaving our great club in January. 

Not getting a regular game and not having a binding pro contract (incl cash) is probably not helping us retain players. That and only being able to start 11 of them. Not everyone leaves as a result of a bust up, as some infer here and have done for years.

9 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Smart has not left the club.  Gow is signing. A considerable number of players are not happy at this time. Believe quite a few spoke to Mark about there position. Think his problem is he does not really talk to the players that are not playing or left out or dropped and let them know why they are not involved to keep them motivated. Within the squad he has people who he has not got the nerve to drop no matter how they are playing. 

Think his squad is too big and he does not have the man management skills at this time to deal with unhappy players. 

As I have said before Gus always had a large squad he fell out with so many players during the season. 

I think Mark has to take his squad down to a more manageable amount. Our squad looks good enough to stay out of trouble only if he manages it better and the fact Albion are so poor. 

Preferred the football he tried to play initially but it seems to have reverted to the punt and chase football again.

Needs to change things to give the squad a shot in the arm or we could see a considerable amount of players leaving our great club in January. 

Nae bother Gulliver. Make sure you tell Mark all this next time you see him

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Not getting a regular game and not having a binding pro contract (incl cash) is probably not helping us retain players. That and only being able to start 11 of them. Not everyone leaves as a result of a bust up, as some infer here and have done for years.

Players on amateur contracts can also now give 28 days notice if they want to leave and we can't stop them, no matter how much or little the manager rates them

I'm sorry things don't work out for some players but if they don't want to hang around and fight for their place then bye bye. 

13 hours ago, spider1867 said:

I work in a place where a lot of folk moan every day and they do get paid every month. And most of them are on a months notice too.

TBH, I wouldn't want guys around the place who were happy just to get a free pie on a Saturday.  Fine young athletes should be wanting to play. It's easy to criticise a "big" squad but in May we had zero with kick-off just weeks away. I might seem harsh now but if we had been gentlemanly and ended up with a starting squad of 16-20 we'd have been struggling to get a starting eleven some weeks. And its' worth remembering that the coach sees them on the training ground and generally around the place. Mark's a winner and he'll respond to hungry players. Not guys who come to training with the grumps. I wouldn't grudge any player moving on if it means he can play the game, every right to, but if they want to play for QP they have to earn it.

That said, I think the next few weeks are ideal for a bit of rotation and positive rivalry amongst players.