The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

Quite pleased with myself for nabbin' this 'un off eBay for just 25 GBP. It's actually more than I usually pay for squad signed tops for my blog but I really do like those one inch stripes (I paid attention to the discussion earlier).

Any idea whether these tops will be retained for 18/19, or whether new ones will be introduced? Apparentely the club sold replicas with gold embroidery under the crest, but this one seems to lack it.

5b086429e469a_s-l16001.thumb.jpg.e281e8eff22b349c2dbbba545c909749.jpg

6 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

eh...the last two sentences?

directed towards BYOS whose post I was responding to Mick1867 (couldn't be arsed trying to edit out the paragraphs that didn't apply to me so apologies for any confusion)

9 hours ago, JT1867 said:

Aren't all the players are on amateur contracts now after the minimum wage hoo ha so can walk away when they choose with 28 days notice? Gus has no say if a player chooses to do this.

wasn't aware of that JT but I think it's a moot point as I believe (though this may also have changed?) that whilst they can walk away at any time (they always could!!!) that Queen's still retain their registration document without which the player can't play for another league club - can anyone clarify that as I recall Hampden Diehard mentioning that Gus is the sole controller of those documents?

6 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

100% correct. This was all explained at the recent AGM....and we were also told at last year's AGM that this rule was getting introduced.  I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on this forum as well

Surprised The Spider wasn't aware of this.  

Don't recall seeing that on here Mick1867 but I may have missed it? Stopped attending the AGMs after the debacle two years ago when the Committee shamefully used the President's and Treasurer's reports to question the merits of the three candidates who were standing against those seeking re-election instead of (as had historically been the case) leaving it to the membership to make their own evaluations. A black day in our off-field history.

Quite pleased with myself for nabbin' this 'un off eBay for just 25 GBP. It's actually more than I usually pay for squad signed tops for my blog but I really do like those one inch stripes (I paid attention to the discussion earlier).
Any idea whether these tops will be retained for 18/19, or whether new ones will be introduced? Apparentely the club sold replicas with gold embroidery under the crest, but this one seems to lack it.
5b086429e469a_s-l16001.thumb.jpg.e281e8eff22b349c2dbbba545c909749.jpg
We'll be using this in 2018/19. The souvenir shop got their stock embroidered to make the tops more of a 150th souvenir.

20 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Don't remember saying anything about Gus controlling contracts, Mr Spider.

Had a look back HD and found this:

On 29/06/2016 at 12:43, Hampden Diehard said:

As with previous years, we'll probably still be signing guys after the season starts.  Unsigned players hold out for a professional deal (and who can blame them?)  but may still come to us if they don't get anything reasonable offered to them.  The early start to the season may actually work in our favour as lads try to get fixed up for the start of the competitive fixtures.  Expect the first XI we see to be changed a bit when the League fixtures start.  The League Cup and the Irn Bru Cup will be extended pre-season stuff for us as Gus tries to establish his best side.

I sleep soundly in the knowledge that he has made some excellent signings since he's arrived; look where we were when he arrived and how quickly he turned it around.  I'm not that bothered to hear who has signed so far; it'll be another month before it all settles down.  If Gus wants to keep it quiet re signings, for whatever reason, that's Ok with me.

My recollection was that it was subsequently established that the reason "Gus wants to keep it quiet re signings" was that the signings only became valid once they were registered, and that couldn't happen until circa mid July? Therefore, if we signed a player in June and another club learned about that and offered the player money to sign for them instead then the player could do so up until the point the league registered their signing with us. I believe it's a complication of the amateur contracts, and therefore we are the only club that suffer this. The reverse also applied though inso far as once a player was registered, then we (or in other words Gus!) would need to "free" that player from his registration before he could sign for another club.

Perhaps it all changed a couple of years ago, but I'm fairly certain this was the way it used to work and that Eddie Hunter used to "sign" dozens of players pre-season with them all thinking they were officially signed, but that it was only the ones he actually registered mid-July that counted, and the remainder were simply discarded (the point being that if those players were approached in late June or early July by another club, the player would say "sorry but I've already signed for QP" and the club would look elsewhere without them or the player realising that the "signing" was actually only a gentleman's agreement at that stage and that they they were actually free to jump ship if they wanted to). Nowadays players and other clubs alike are much better informed, hence (I thought) why the "registration" aspect was key in all of this.

Does any of this ring bells with anybody, or have I simply dreamt it all up and need to retreat to a darkened room for a lie down with the appropriate medication?

How are these fixtures organised? The association or the clubs? If the clubs are involved, I’d expect we’d be wanting a look at Ainslie Park given that we’ll have a couple of league games on it.

2 minutes ago, an86 said:

How are these fixtures organised? The association or the clubs? If the clubs are involved, I’d expect we’d be wanting a look at Ainslie Park given that we’ll have a couple of league games on it.

Think it’s the association that organise it, after BT get a pick of what games they’re going to show. 

3 hours ago, an86 said:

It's the Challenge Cup. That belongs to the SPFL, as does the League Cup. SFA own the Scottish Cup. 

I've been to Ainslie Park. Nice, welcoming clubhouse (aka football academy) at one end, modern stand along one side, bit of a terrace along the other where the dug-outs are. Nothing at the far end. 4G surface. In the middle of a residential area. just up the street from their old place. Great for the community set-up, bit soulless for cup-ties tbh. Wasn't many there when I visited (a deby match) but they'll probably roll out of the Pilton for the Glasgow Giants.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:39, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It's the Challenge Cup.

It's the League Cup.....which you said it was about 3 hours previous to this post.... Alzheimer’s?

With Cummins gone we now need at least one quality goalkeeper, central defender, playmaker and goal-scorer. If Gus can pull that off and get us mid-table respectability in the coming season then that in the circumstances that will be as good a feat as when he took us up.

If he can completely start from scratch (as more or less appears to be the case in terms of quality), and somehow manage to sneak us into the play-offs then it would be the biggest come-back since Lazarus. I doubt there will be many who will agree with me, but in my view anything better than 8th place next year would represent a decent "base-camp" first season back in this league.

I haven't seen too many QP - Alloa games over the past couple of seasons, wondering what kind of player Galt is? Attacking midfielder? Do you think he will cope with step up to the Championship?

18 minutes ago, Waspie said:

wondering what kind of player Galt is?

He's an attacking wide midfield player with amazing ball skills (futsal international) and a spectacular (on occasion) long range shot. Easily good enough for the Championship on his day, but consistency will be the hurdle he has to overcome, and I suspect he'll mainly be an impact player off the bench for you as you'll not have much room for too many "luxury" players in that league (i.e. if you expect him to track back and defend well you're likely to be disappointed).

53 minutes ago, The Spider said:

He's an attacking wide midfield player with amazing ball skills (futsal international) and a spectacular (on occasion) long range shot. Easily good enough for the Championship on his day, but consistency will be the hurdle he has to overcome, and I suspect he'll mainly be an impact player off the bench for you as you'll not have much room for too many "luxury" players in that league (i.e. if you expect him to track back and defend well you're likely to be disappointed).

Sounds promising. We tend to go with 3 attacking midfielders behind the main striker so presume he is being signed to compete for one of those roles. However, those players are also expected to get back and help out when required. 

Good luck to QP for 2018/19, hope you are able to build another good squad.

Cheers Waspie. I think he'll be either be a big hit or a big miss for you and in 12 months time he'll either be a free or your player of the year. Hoping for his sake it's the latter.

Here's a wee taste of what you can look forward to .