The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

On 15/01/2019 at 14:12, Hampden Diehard said:

Can I respectfully suggest that any big "technical" questions are submitted beforehand so that any digging about can be done before the meeting. You have a better chance of receiving an answer.

That's a very sensible suggestion HD, but I'm not sure that "If the Committee feel it's in the best interests of the club to turn professional, does the constitution require it to be put to a members' vote?" is overly technical. If they don't already know the answer to that one then.......

image.png.279c81ee04a834c641d51284a6a60376.png

That's a very sensible suggestion HD, but I'm not sure that "If the Committee feel it's in the best interests of the club to turn professional, does the constitution require it to be put to a members' vote?" is overly technical. If they don't already know the answer to that one then.......

It is a technical question. Depends on whether you actually want an answer to your question backed up with prior consideration and checking or not.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:
1 hour ago, The Spider said:

It is a technical question. Depends on whether you actually want an answer to your question backed up with prior consideration and checking or not.

The point I was trying to make HD is that if the President & The Committee have not already done prior consideration and checked to see whether or not they already have sufficient power to make that seismic change without consulting the membership, in my view that borders on gross incompetence. Imagine the Boardoom conversation...............

" We may need to turn professional at some stage if the club is to survive".

"Would the members back us on that?"

"Don't think we need to ask them as I can't remember there being anything in the constitution that would stop us just going ahead and declaring it an essential change"

"Well shouldn't we get somebody clued in to read through it carefully so we know for sure, perhaps even getting the Club's laywers to give us their opinion?"

"Nah. That's a technical question and you know I can't be bothered with technicalities. Let's hold off until one of the members actually asks us. That way we'll have plausible deniability if none of them ever do."

I genuinely cannot imagine any circumstance that The President would publicly discuss (as he has done with the media on more than one occasion) the possibility that we might have to turn professional following the sale of Hampden without having explored the methodology required.

I have only cited specific clauses with my limited understanding of the constitution, and I would agree with you that if I had phrased the question as "would the wording of clause 6.2 require the Committee to seek membership approval before turning professional?" then that would indeed be a specific technical question. But that's not what I asked, and I maintain that asking the general question "If the Committee feel it's in the best interests of the club to turn professional, does the constitution require it to be put to a members' vote?" is something they should already know the answer to.

Happy to agree to disagree if you feel otherwise.

58 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Signing a decent player doesn't change the fact that your manager is, and will remain, Mark Roberts. Unlucky, folks.

Still rattled almost three years on from Galt pinging one in off the bar from Croy Station. Pleasing.