The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

1 hour ago, spider1867 said:

Squad Update. 

Players staying at present

Millen, Nimmo, Magee. Gerry, Foy, Gibson, Summers, Fotheringham, MacPherson and Mortimer. 

Couple of new goalkeepers. Not everyone at present season has signed I believe some are training with the view of signing. 

Our defence is what let us down last year and they have all stayed bar Burns. Will be good enough for League 2 if Gus can get a good balance and a reliable goalkeeper. 

Thanks for the update. I'm not buying into the 'easier' League 2 scenario though. You're not the first to suggest that.  Aside of the FT teams and 1 or 2 others (varying per season) the rest of L1 and the top 7 of L2 are much the same, including inconsistency. We have time on our side as it's usually the last quarter before any one team shows their heels in L2. But as we saw last year, weekly beating will destroy any group's confidence. It's a very young and experienced group so far.  Our defence let us down in a number of games; the attack let us down every game until Keena arrived.

I'd gladly trade a poor League cup group for a decent start in the league.

27 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

That statement alone shows you know nothing about playing football. I thought you weren't going to talk about last season.

Could have been talking about the season before, or the season before that. If I knew nothing about football, I’d probably have called for something ridiculous like playing him as a centre forward. Not that I claim to be an expert, of course. I only offer opinion. 

1 hour ago, bobthespider said:

No McPherson and Mortimer up front would be a disaster

McPherson has pace and was starting to develop a goalscoring touch before he got injured and Mortimer's industry at this level could well open up goalscoring opportunities for attacking midfielders (if we actually get any)

How has Billy Mortimer been retained? Guys been with us for years now and he's still never scored a goal. I don't buy into the "he runs about" rubbish. Thomas Orr at least showed some promise during his limited appearances.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

But as we saw last year, weekly beating will destroy any group's confidence.

I'd gladly trade a poor League cup group for a decent start in the league.

Yes that makes sense. Four poor League Cup results are likely to bolster confidence for a decent start in the league. Obviously I don't know anything about playing football either, so any more of your unique insight would be gratefully received.

Yes that makes sense. Four poor League Cup results are likely to bolster confidence for a decent start in the league. Obviously I don't know anything about playing football either, so any more of your unique insight would be gratefully received.

My comment was in the context of last season. We had an encouraging start last year in the LC and hopes were high, and then it all went south when the league started. I’d rather shuffle players around in the cup and be ready for the league. Surprised I’ve got to explain that to a circumspect chap like yourself.

11 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Our defence is what let us down last year and they have all stayed bar Burns. Will be good enough for League 2 if Gus can get a good balance and a reliable goalkeeper. 

And bar Adam Cummins our player of the year. 

I've no doubt Gus will have signed or is looking at players in all positions. Dom McLaren from Kilbirnie is a centre - half I believe.

As for who plays midfield/ up front we already know that Gus has signed Peters, Osalodor, McKernon and Martin. More will come. Trying to predict a starting 11 until you have seen these players is impossible.

28 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Our official website is absolute shite. Absolutely no mention of pre-season activities be it games,transfers or otherwise. Compare with others even in the lower leagues/Juniors and it's rather embarassing for a club of our standing and tradition.

Can’t sign anyone until July 1st. On top of that, I can’t remember the last time we played a friendly that wasn’t technically “closed door.”

10 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

My comment was in the context of last season. We had an encouraging start last year in the LC and hopes were high, and then it all went south when the league started. I’d rather shuffle players around in the cup and be ready for the league. Surprised I’ve got to explain that to a circumspect chap like yourself.

I think you're actually making my point for me. I'd rather hope that we can use any closed-door pre-season friendlies for "shuffling around" and that Gus doesn't share your negativity about any good LC results. As soon as he gets a good performance/result in the LC, then put the same team out for the next game and repeat until it goes pear-shaped. Speirs used to tinker when he already had a winning formula and then was left wondered what went wrong.

You originally hit the nail on the head by highlighting the need to build confidence for the League games, so if you can get a good result/performance in the LC then why not try to build on that rather than make half a dozen changes in the next game for the sake of it? Part of the problem last season was that at no point did I ever get the impression that Gus knew what his best starting line-up was, so this time I'd like him to stick with what he thinks is his best team (based on pre-season friendlies and what he sees in training) and give it a go for a few games before ditching them. You might call that circumspect - I'd prefer to call it a sensible approach.

9 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Assuming we get a decent goalie I believe we have the basis of a pretty decent squad in the making. I feel confident that these guys have the potential to place us in the top half of Div 2 next season. A loan striker would be icing on the cake.

Keena's still listed as the U20 squad at Hearts despite Levein saying he'd get his first team break in the summer. Zanatta's in the first team squad so it looks up-to-date. Not sure if he'd get back here on loan though in L2. 

6 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Our official website is absolute shite. Absolutely no mention of pre-season activities be it games,transfers or otherwise. Compare with others even in the lower leagues/Juniors and it's rather embarassing for a club of our standing and tradition.

Careful. The Spider will have somebody at your door with a two-pound hammer in a black bin liner if you keep that up.

8 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Bridgeof weirdo is quite correct. Notwithstanding the 1st July date, the lack of close-season updates is quite frankly embarrassing for a senior club, especially in comparison to the lengths that lesser clubs go to in an effort to keep their supporters informed.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Careful. The Spider will have somebody at your door with a two-pound hammer in a black bin liner if you keep that up.

Why? I have no connection whatsoever to the club website and never have done. Like bridgeofweirdo I have also been highly critical in previous seasons of the lack of close-season information. Justify or retract please.