Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Div

      Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

      We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, an86 said:

He is at EK for the same reason as the other guys, like Longworth and Woods, who better than Lowland League. He was a good player for us for the most part, but wasn’t one of our best players last season. He was mediocre with occasional good games. Only Galt and Keena were consistently good.

The confidence kept draining every week because we frequently lost games. We frequently lost games because we weren’t good enough for League One. 

Definite case of waiting to jump right on the managers back after the first defeat. I wonder if we’ll get the first call for his head by the end of the League Cup group stages?

The reason we lost matches (even though we still had the same squad from the season before which was 'good enough for League One') was because of the culture of fear which Gus instilled in everyone by dragging many players off before half-time due to them making one mistake (Bryan Wharton who was shipped off at half-time during one match to Pollock, Lewis Maghee for getting his studs caught in the turf which gifted a goal, Anton for a back pass which got intercepted and Docherty for missing an open goal which skidded off his shin)

Each week you could see the nerves accumulating in the side and it was no wonder Queens got relegated and threw away matches like the ones against Albion at home where QP were 2 goals up going into injury time only to drop 2 points and the one against Forfar at home (amongst MANY others)

Going 1 goal down within the first 6 minutes (which was the case during most matches) was the only thing that seemed to settle the nerves a bit (as ironic as that sounds) and Gus looking like he was constantly getting shot on the sideline and flailing his arms around like he was a pal of Spongebobs can't have helped matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shugs said:

The reason we lost matches (even though we still had the same squad from the season before which was 'good enough for League One') was because of the culture of fear which Gus instilled in everyone by dragging many players off before half-time due to them making one mistake (Bryan Wharton who was shipped off at half-time during one match to Pollock, Lewis Maghee for getting his studs caught in the turf which gifted a goal, Anton for a back pass which got intercepted and Docherty for missing an open goal which skidded off his shin)

Each week you could see the nerves accumulating in the side and it was no wonder Queens got relegated and threw away matches like the ones against Albion at home where QP were 2 goals up going into injury time only to drop 2 points and the one against Forfar at home (amongst MANY others)

Going 1 goal down within the first 6 minutes (which was the case during most matches) was the only thing that seemed to settle the nerves a bit (as ironic as that sounds) and Gus looking like he was constantly getting shot on the sideline and flailing his arms around like he was a pal of Spongebobs can't have helped matters.

Your top point simply isn’t true. We lost two of our best players from the season before, which was our best finish in a generation. An amateur side performing the way we did that season constitutes punching massively above our weight.

As excellent an achievement as it was to finish four points outside the promotion playoffs, it’s also worth noting that we were only six points outside the relegation playoffs. It doesn’t take a genius to calculate what might happen when you lose your two best players. It must also be noted that one of the aforementioned best players was so terrified of Gus’s “climate of fear” that he’s returning to the club to work under his tyrannical regime again.

The style of management was successful for the first three seasons. It didn’t suddenly stop working. As ever with QP, good players gradually drift away. You don’t get away with that in League One and ultimately we deserved to be relegated. Exactly the same thing will happen again if we’re ever back in League One, whether under Gus or someone else. 

I think we’ve become slightly spoiled by the high finishes/promotions of most of the last decade and a sense of entitlement has crept in, in some quarters. I thought the sobering experience of 2013/14 might have killed that, but apparently not. The very idea of even playing in League One at that point looked a very distant possibility. 

That’s the last I’ll say on the drama queenery and toy throwing over last season. Onwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shugs said:

Each week you could see the nerves accumulating in the side and it was no wonder Queens got relegated and threw away matches like the ones against Albion at home where QP were 2 goals up going into injury time only to drop 2 points.

Yes, when Jack Iredale dithered about after receiving the ball back from kick-off and cost us two points v Rovers, my immediate reaction was that it was MacPherson's fault. Similarly when Whyte took longer than he needed to blooter the ball away up at Station Park and cost us two more points, did I blame him or the defender for the unecessary pass? No of course not, it was obviously MacPherson's fault.

And yet, despite months to think about it, I still haven't been able to work out why Gus was to blame, but obviously he was because you and a few others keep telling us he was. Either you guys have some insight into the game that the rest of us are lacking, or you so are so blinkered in your dislike of MacPherson's management style that you see him as the root cause of every on-field error.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. MacPherson is not the perfect manager, and neither was Eddie Hunter, but both were blessed with the ability to get the best out of certain players which was at the expense of others who fell by the wayside. Had both been able to adopt the "cuddle when needed" approach with some of the more sensitive players, then would they have been better managers for it? Of course, but if we accept that (other than home-grown ones) the players we sign are flawed (otherwise other they wouldn't be available to us), then why does the same logic not apply to our managers too?

It's funny but Cowboy McCormack had his flaws too (as was blatantly exposed later in his managerial career), but I don't recall him getting half the criticism MacPherson has received, nor have I seen a single one of you credit him with all the unpaid work he does to raise awareness for players' mental health issues. I wonder why that might be.............surely not because that profile doesn't match the "bully-boy" image portrayed on here?

Tell you what, instead of hiding behind your keyboard, why not go along to the supporters' meeting (all are welcome!) in the Social club at 7.30pm on 4th July, and put your points to MacPherson about his man-management style, and then come back on here with something of substance rather than guessing what goes on inside the dressing room (instead of relying on stories told by those who aren't getting as much game time as they would like)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Spider said:

 

Tell you what, instead of hiding behind your keyboard, why not go along to the supporters' meeting (all are welcome!) in the Social club at 7.30pm on 4th July, and put your points to MacPherson about his man-management style, and then come back on here with something of substance rather than guessing what goes on inside the dressing room (instead of relying on stories told by those who aren't getting as much game time as they would like)?

This is Pie & Bovril and if everyone were to go along to supporters meetings to make their point instead of 'hiding behind their keyboards' as you put it then websites like this would be  devoid of content.

Welcome to the internet age Boomer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, an86 said:

It must also be noted that one of the aforementioned best players was so terrified of Gus’s “climate of fear” that he’s returning to the club to work under his tyrannical regime again.

 

i guess Wharton must have grown tired of waiting for those offers from La Liga.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Shugs said:

This is Pie & Bovril and if everyone were to go along to supporters meetings to make their point instead of 'hiding behind their keyboards' as you put it then websites like this would be  devoid of content.

Quite right Shug, if it's simply a case of looking for an environment where you can vent your personal agenda without fear of face to face rebuke. However, I tend to take the opposite view that "if everyone were to go along to supporters meetings to make their point", it would actually increase the flow of subsequent P&B debate. That's normally what happens after football games, but by your obscure logic post-match threads should be devoid of content, but we both know that's not the case.

So why not go along and hear what Gus has to say (or have you already made your mind up about him from hearsay?) and then start a new thread about it. Look I'll even help you get started....."Last night I went to a supporters meeting at Hampden and heard Gus McPherson tell us ............................................... I agree/disagree (delete as applicable) with most of what he said and in particular the following which I would be interested in discussing with my fellow supporters."

Come on in, the water's lovely!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, an86 said:

Definite case of waiting to jump right on the managers back after the first defeat. I wonder if we’ll get the first call for his head by the end of the League Cup group stages?

Bearing in mind we are away to a higher league club in the first match, do you really think it's going to take till the end of the section games before the usual suspects' pent-up close-season frustration is vented (on P&B only of course, as they know they'd be quickly shouted down if they were stupid enough to actually shout that after a game so early in the season)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Quite right Shug, if it's simply a case of looking for an environment where you can vent your personal agenda without fear of face to face rebuke. However, I tend to take the opposite view that "if everyone were to go along to supporters meetings to make their point", it would actually increase the flow of subsequent P&B debate. That's normally what happens after football games, but by your obscure logic post-match threads should be devoid of content, but we both know that's not the case.

So why not go along and hear what Gus has to say (or have you already made your mind up about him from hearsay?) and then start a new thread about it. Look I'll even help you get started....."Last night I went to a supporters meeting at Hampden and heard Gus McPherson tell us ............................................... I agree/disagree (delete as applicable) with most of what he said and in particular the following which I would be interested in discussing with my fellow supporters."

Come on in, the water's lovely!

Can Gus say anything except "Disappointing"?

19 post match interviews from last season say otherwise...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been watching all the Kilbirnie Ladeside videos from last season.

Trying to spot which 6 or 7 will make our starting 11 come July before being sent back in November.

(it's like i've just done 2 tours of 'Nam without the benefit of LSD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shugs said:

Can Gus say anything except "Disappointing"?

19 post match interviews from last season say otherwise...

Personally I thought that pretty much sums up last season, although I agree with you that his verbal repetition is indeed a cause for concern and that the main priority for next season is to improve our coach's linguistic dexterity for his media obligations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shugs said:

i guess Wharton must have grown tired of waiting for those offers from La Liga.

 

Albion Rovers bound. Just launch a long, bouncing ball at him and we’re nearly guaranteed a goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chester Desmond said:

"Frustrating" 

Ultimately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shugs said:

This is Pie & Bovril and if everyone were to go along to supporters meetings to make their point instead of 'hiding behind their keyboards' as you put it then websites like this would be  devoid of content.

 

You not capable of doing both?  You'll fit right in as plenty of other cheery fuckers like yourself will be in attendance

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

You not capable of doing both?  You'll fit right in as plenty of other cheery fuckers like yourself will be in attendance

 

There's no point. It's not like Gus is going to throw his hands up at the meeting and say "Yeah I screwed up last season, my tactics were inept and pumping long balls towards the corner flag and making the number 9 chase it down all afternoon didn't work out quite as well as I expected in every. single. game".

Then again, who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squad Update. 

Players staying at present

Millen, Nimmo, Magee. Gerry, Foy, Gibson, Summers, Fotheringham, MacPherson and Mortimer. 

Couple of new goalkeepers. Not everyone at present season has signed I believe some are training with the view of signing. 

Our defence is what let us down last year and they have all stayed bar Burns. Will be good enough for League 2 if Gus can get a good balance and a reliable goalkeeper. 

Edited by spider1867

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

Squad Update. 

Players staying at present.

White, Millen, Nimmo, Magee. Gerry, Foy, Gibson, Summers, Fotheringham, MacPherson and Mortimer. 

Couple of new goalkeepers. Not everyone at present season has signed I believe some are training with the view of signing. 

Our defence is what let us down last year and they have all stayed bar Burns. Will be good enough for League 2 if Gus can get a good balance and a reliable goalkeeper. 

White has signed for Irvine meadow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, qpfc said:

White has signed for Irvine meadow 

My prayers have been answered! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, qpfc said:

White has signed for Irvine meadow 

 

17 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

 

White, Millen, Nimmo, Magee. Gerry, Foy, Gibson, Summers, Fotheringham, MacPherson and Mortimer. 

 

A defence of millen, summers, Gerry and cammy foy sounds okay to me or mcghee

McPherson and Mortimer up front is interesting but I still think orr could have done okay at this level.

Mckernon and Ruth in central midfield would be good but for the love of God can Gus please not play Fotheringham. He spent all last season avoiding the ball like it was an angry girlfriend amd if opta had run stats on him they would have flatlined.

A winger would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×