The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

18 minutes ago, DeanMck said:

Getting quite worried for you lot now Albion have made some half decent signings.  Do you lot reckon Galt will sign again or be away? 

Will be at QP next season. 

In this type of scenario under Gus, i would still feel comfortable going into the new season, however under Roberts it’s completely unknown whether he’s able to recruit effectively. Going by his interviews, he’s investing his entire summer into the recruitment so fingers crossed we’ll have not only a competitive team but a team that can compete for the playoffs. Gonna be an interesting season I’d imagine. The fact that we’ve still got Galt for next season does give me hope however 

Edited by qpfc

9 minutes ago, qpfc said:

In this type of scenario under Gus, i would still feel comfortable going into the new season, however under Roberts it’s completely unknown whether he’s able to recruit effectively. Going by his interviews, he’s investing his entire summer into the recruitment so fingers crossed we’ll have not only a competitive team but a team that can compete for the playoffs. Gonna be an interesting season I’d imagine. The fact that we’ve still got Galt for next season does give me hope however 

I think competing for the play-offs is unrealistic. As much as it hurts to say it, I'll bite your hand off for 9th!

7 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Think that's it, we just don't know what we'll be getting. I think playoffs would take an absolutely incredible summer of recruitment. The team from last season wasn't even remotely close and we've lost most of the strongest players from it, which means that we're going to have to replace them with better if we want to be in the mix at the right end. Extremely tough ask. 

Save me reading, is Galt still with you for next season or yet to be announced? 

The emergence of the pyramid (particulary in the last 2/3 years when clubs have really started to spend in the Lowland league) must really hurt QP. Surely once you leave Hampden you’ll drop the amateur status otherwise you won’t last long. 

23 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Save me reading, is Galt still with you for next season or yet to be announced? 

The emergence of the pyramid (particulary in the last 2/3 years when clubs have really started to spend in the Lowland league) must really hurt QP. Surely once you leave Hampden you’ll drop the amateur status otherwise you won’t last long. 

We don't officially announce anything until July 1st. He's staying, though.

The amateur debate has already started among the fans and it is going to have to be resolved officially either way. It comes down to one simple question for me. Is the history of the club more important than the future of the club? If we want to remain a league club, I see no option. 

34 minutes ago, an86 said:

We don't officially announce anything until July 1st. He's staying, though.

The amateur debate has already started among the fans and it is going to have to be resolved officially either way. It comes down to one simple question for me. Is the history of the club more important than the future of the club? If we want to remain a league club, I see no option. 

For me it's about retaining our youth system. With the loss of Hampden we can't afford to run it in it's current form. If we can offer players who have been at the club for 7 years professional contracts we are due substantial compensation if they leave. 

18 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

For me it's about retaining our youth system. With the loss of Hampden we can't afford to run it in it's current form. If we can offer players who have been at the club for 7 years professional contracts we are due substantial compensation if they leave. 

A competitive first team is always going to be the most important thing for me. The stuff on the park stuff will shape the club to a large extent. If we end up in the Lowland League, as an amateur side, I fear we'll even find it difficult to compete at that level. Income dwindles, there's definitely no meaningful youth system and fans drift away. 

I don't like it any more than anyone else. Ideal scenario would have been amateur contracts for a full season and playing at Hampden. The loss of both of this things makes things enormously difficult. The lower league setup is evolving and we're going to have to do the same if we want to compete.

We're never going to lose our history and heritage because evolution doesn't delete the past. We have a professional manager and have had professionals play for us. The amateur purity is long gone and we have to put ourselves in the strongest position to retain league status and become a greater part of what is an increasingly vibrant southside community. 

I fully respect that the amateur status is important to a good number of people and I'm certainly not dismissing or disrespecting that view. I just don't see it as a viable solution to us being as strong as we can be as a club. It is a proud history, but wasn't, and isn't, something that defines my support of the club. That comes simply from Queen's Park being my local team. 

Edited by an86

A competitive first team is always going to be the most important thing for me. The stuff on the park stuff will shape the club to a large extent. If we end up in the Lowland League, as an amateur side, I fear we'll even find it difficult to compete at that level. Income dwindles, there's definitely no meaningful youth system and fans drift away. 
I don't like it any more than anyone else. Ideal scenario would have been amateur contracts for a full season and playing at Hampden. The loss of both of this things makes things enormously difficult. The lower league setup is evolving and we're going to have to do the same if we want to compete.
We're never going to lose our history and heritage because evolution doesn't delete the past. We have a professional manager and have had professionals play for us. The amateur purity is long gone and we have to put ourselves in the strongest position to retain league status and become a greater part of what is an increasingly vibrant southside community. 
I fully respect that the amateur status is important to a good number of people and I'm certainly not dismissing or disrespecting that view. I just don't see it as a viable solution to us being as strong as we can be as a club. It is a proud history, but wasn't, and isn't, something that defines my support of the club. That comes simply from Queen's Park being my local team. 
I would have to say I agree with most of an86 post above. I do think that maintaining and strengthening both the youth system and the community integration are hugely important and should be among our main objectives, although I take the point that much of this is easier if we maintain SPFL status. On the amateur status debate, while I understand and respect that to some supporters this is an important part of their love for the club, for me it has never really been a key factor. To me it's always been about supporting my local team, and not just going with the Old Firm like most others do. Therefore the potential change to professional wouldn't really upset me, particularly if it allows the club to keep going. Yes the history is important, and we should be rightly proud of it, but none of that history goes away by turning professional, and if that's what's needed so that we have a future, then it needs to be seriously considered.

3 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:
18 hours ago, an86 said:

I would have to say I agree with most of an86 post above. I do think that maintaining and strengthening both the youth system and the community integration are hugely important and should be among our main objectives, although I take the point that much of this is easier if we maintain SPFL status. On the amateur status debate, while I understand and respect that to some supporters this is an important part of their love for the club, for me it has never really been a key factor. To me it's always been about supporting my local team, and not just going with the Old Firm like most others do. Therefore the potential change to professional wouldn't really upset me, particularly if it allows the club to keep going. Yes the history is important, and we should be rightly proud of it, but none of that history goes away by turning professional, and if that's what's needed so that we have a future, then it needs to be seriously considered.

Excellent post. Could not agree more.

Completely agree that the youth system is hugely important in terms of what we can give young players and the benefit we gain from it. The first team must always take precedence imo, though. If we go down, there probably is no youth system.

I strongly suspect we're going to need serious funding to maintain it at current standard, even in the best case scenario. Willie Haughey has mentioned his passion about getting young people involved in the game. Bit of serious funding in exchange for the City Holdings Group Hampden Arena or something equally catchy?

I'll be honest, I don't have any financial plan beyond phoning Willie Haughey. 

Completely agree that the youth system is hugely important in terms of what we can give young players and the benefit we gain from it. The first team must always take precedence imo, though. If we go down, there probably is no youth system.
I strongly suspect we're going to need serious funding to maintain it at current standard, even in the best case scenario. Willie Haughey has mentioned his passion about getting young people involved in the game. Bit of serious funding in exchange for the City Holdings Group Hampden Arena or something equally catchy?
Do you have his number?

6 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:
13 minutes ago, an86 said:

Do you have his number?

First stumbling block.