The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

Another question to ask. Who has improved and who has regressed or gone sideways from earlier in the season? I think the regressers outnumber the improvers. That's a problem. 
That's a good question, however I don't think there's a straightforward answer to all of it. Players can certainly improve, and you'd like to think that a lot of the young guys would be learning and improving all the time. But with exception of losing fitness due to age or injury, do players really get worse? I suppose attitude and work rate can go backwards in some cases, and players will reach their level where the may never improve beyond, but players don't just become worse do they?

I would say McLean is the standout player in terms of improvement, which seems to have come about with him playing in a position that seems to get the best from him. McGrory has also improved, probably due to an extended run in the team, which he may never have got had Jambo not had to fill in at the back.
Moore and East keep impressing, but haven't had the game time others have enjoyed.

There are probably mitigating circumstances to take into account when considering players who could be seen as having regressed (I.e. are now playing to a lower standard than they were earlier in the season). Jambo has been played out of position, which contributes to why he hasn't been performing to the standard he did a few seasons ago. Gerry has been struggling for fitness returning from injuries, and is perhaps better suited in the role Jambo currently fills. Hawke may just need one good game where he scores a couple to get him on a roll again, and is possibly suffering from not having the opportunity to form a consistent partnership due to regular lineup changes (admittedly that one is clutching at straws a bit).
As for the likes of Grant, Mortimer, McGee, when they've played they have looked to be improving, though in Grant's case his confidence seemed to take a knock after a few errors. Mortimer has always given 100% but with little to show for it other than tired legs, but he has shown this season that he is better suited on the wing than up front.
The rest, Hart, Gibby, Dom, Summers, Roberts, Galt, Gow, have remained fairly consistent in my opinion (for good and bad)
The only other one to mention would be Peters who just doesn't seem to fit into Mark's plans, and so hasn't really featured much and it's hard to judge consistency.

Assuming things don't take a huge downturn between now and May I'd like to see Mark given the chance to build on things next season, but I do agree that the committee should always be assessing things, and shouldn't fall into the trap of just sticking with the status quo because of other issues they're dealing with. Hopefully we'll get a run of results now that will take the questions over Mark's future away, and we can all look confidently towards a promotion challenge next season. What could possibly go wrong?....

14 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

Assuming things don't take a huge downturn between now and May I'd like to see Mark given the chance to build on things next season, but I do agree that the committee should always be assessing things, and shouldn't fall into the trap of just sticking with the status quo because of other issues they're dealing with. Hopefully we'll get a run of results now that will take the questions over Mark's future away, and we can all look confidently towards a promotion challenge next season. What could possibly go wrong?....

I'm not advocating sacking the guy right now, but I think it's entirely fair to ask questions of this run and demand improvements during the "easier run." I think we have nine games left, so twenty seven points to play for. Nine of those points are against Berwick and Rovers. I don't feel that 14 points, just over half of what's on offer, would be at all unreasonable to expect. 

If a squad with a spine of Hart, Gerry, Gibby, Jambo, Galt and Roberts can't go out and get the better of teams in the lower half of League Two, I think we'd have to accept that there's serious questions to answer. If it's not going to get better with those players against lower half sides, then we have to ask ourselves when it would improve? 

On 09/03/2019 at 19:43, Ben Reilly said:

You never felt there was a 7-1 win under Gus, but now you feel that on a good day when everything clicks, there is always that chance. .

To be fair to MacPherson, he got close. We won 6-1 at Montrose the season he led us to promotion.  I think if we're going to compare the two managers then best to focus on League Two. The two seasons under MacPherson in League 1 could be a grind at times but he played his fair share of attacking football in League 2 where we managed to finish 2nd then 4th ( I do realise Roberts hasn't had a full season to judge him on) Our attacking midfielders chipped in with loads of goals back then, the likes of Paul Woods and Shaun Fraser. Not enough goals from midfield this season... plus he managed to get some decent loan strikers in which made a huge difference. That play off semi for example when Duggan absolutely bodied Cowdenbeath. I'm sure Roberts must have tried to get someone in. Gow was worth a punt for his experience but he's not got the legs and energy of the likes of Brophy, Duggan, Zanatta, Keena

Since Roberts took over, apart from the Stirling game when we could have scored five and the Berwick pumping, we haven't looked like scoring many goals ( maybe Elgin away ) The return of David Galt made a huge impact around that time so that was a great move by Mark to get him back.  His formations have been bold at times but have left us exposed in a lot of games ( home games v Elgin and Edinburgh)

I agree that any manager really needs a full pre-season to build his own squad but I wonder if he will get that chance. He only got the job initially til the end of December, now he is on a 6 month rolling contract. There must be a reason for that. Maybe the committee are waiting to see who else is available before offering him a more solid contract.      

44 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

Being a sad c**t and also being very bored on a Monday morning I had a look and Queen's have taken 19 points from 21 games since Roberts took over in September (including the games as caretaker and counting the most recent Clyde game as a draw as it would be a bit much to claim it as a real win).  Four wins, seven draws and 10 defeats.  Over 36 games that would work out at around 33 points (seven wins, 12 draws and 17 defeats), which most seasons would result in a 9th or 10th place finish.  

Always a pleasure to read a fellow statto. I salute you sir.

It takes about a year to build a stadium should we be hearing something about our new stadium soon? or is it accepted that we will be ground sharing again ?

There’s already been information shared with the members regarding the new stadium.

29 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Ground sharing is almost inevitable. 

and yet completely unnecessary. If the SFA got their act together with the council then things could be sorted out in plenty of time. Time for the committee to get tough with this mob and tell them that they can take as long as they want to sort things out, but that our eviction from Hampden only begins a year from the date the deal is concluded. That should help to focus their minds a bit, as I fear these negotiations will simply drag on while the SFA try to play the waiting game secure in the knowledge that time is on their side and not ours.

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

Ground sharing is almost inevitable. 

An empty stadium lying empty next door to the stadium we're building within our local community. Airdrie is obviously the logical choice. 

That's a dig at the authorities btw, not the club. 

Edited by an86

Hoping to start the re-development of Lesser at the end of this season but everything depends on the deal with the SFA getting signed off . If it doesn't start on time then do the SFA really want what will effectively be a building site next door to the stadium during Euro 2020?  I doubt the council and polis would accept that with 50,000 punters descending on the place. The sensible thing would be to start the work after the Euros and let us play at Hampden until the end of season 20/21   

Hoping to start the re-development of Lesser at the end of this season but everything depends on the deal with the SFA getting signed off . If it doesn't start on time then do the SFA really want what will effectively be a building site next door to the stadium during Euro 2020?  I doubt the council and polis would accept that with 50,000 punters descending on the place. The sensible thing would be to start the work after the Euros and let us play at Hampden until the end of season 20/21   
I agree, that definitely seems to be a very sensible approach which should be in the best interests of all concerned..... which almost completely guarantees it wont happen.

Plus, could they not make use of Lesser in it's current state during the Euros, either as a warm up area or a pre match fan entertainment/food/merch area?
That, Mr Reilly, may be our most important bargaining chip.

If anyone thinks that the SFA are in the business of accomodating us, they shouldn't be. They seem almost gleeful in their shafting of us.

29 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

That, Mr Reilly, may be our most important bargaining chip.

If anyone thinks that the SFA are in the business of accomodating us, they shouldn't be. They seem almost gleeful in their shafting of us.

The SFA are a shower of ignorant arseholes who will go to any length to make us squirm. Unfortunately they are holding all the aces at the moment and negotiating with councils takes an age. The fact that they will be lending us money at commercial interest rates to build our stadium is one of the most shameful business transactions I have ever come across.

6 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

The SFA are a shower of ignorant arseholes who will go to any length to make us squirm. Unfortunately they are holding all the aces at the moment and negotiating with councils takes an age. The fact that they will be lending us money at commercial interest rates to build our stadium is one of the most shameful business transactions I have ever come across.

Aye, it's going well with Ian Maxwell and Malky Junior on the inside track. :thumbsdown