The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

21 hours ago, PASSANDMOVE said:

Youth Cup (U20's) Semi Final v Celtic 3rd March Cappilow Park 2pm         

Not seen anything confirming date and time so here it is. Going to be really tough with Celtic having a team full of youth internationals but we beat the holders Hibs in the last round so same level of performance will be required.

So it's definitely not at Firhill? 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Aye, disappointed that he didn't do more for us. A bit hot and cold. Who would you drop for him?

I wish him well. Not against us, obviously.

At the beginning of the season I think he would have been a better bet than Mortimer on the right wing. Now that Galt is back and we have a different formation it is not so easy although I would play my late Granny before Gow. I would certainly have had him on the bench each week as I believe he could still have done a job for us.

16 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I would certainly have had him on the bench each week as I believe he could still have done a job for us.

Same here. At least he got to play his part in a piece of our club's history down at TNS

He'll no doubt score against us on 6 April  

31 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Same here. At least he got to play his part in a piece of our club's history down at TNS

He'll no doubt score against us on 6 April  

This might sound incredibly mean spirited, but I'd have an agreement in place that he can't play in that game. Every sympathy for Rovers position, but business is business and we shouldn't be putting ourselves in a position where one of our own players could cost us finishing a place or so higher. 

Edited by an86

3 minutes ago, an86 said:

This might sound incredibly mean spirited, but I'd have had an agreement that he can't play in that game. Every sympathy for Rovers position, but business is business and we shouldn't be putting ourselves in a position where one of our own players could cost us finishing a place or so higher. 

Has that not been scrapped now? Pretty sure loan players can't be stopped now from playing against their parent club..or maybe that's just in UEFA competitions

7 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Has that not been scrapped now? Pretty sure loan players can't be stopped now from playing against their parent club..or maybe that's just in UEFA competitions

Quite possible that I'm havering. It's unreasonable of you to expect me to back up any of my sweeping statements with actual knowledge. Bar him from the game and we'll deal with UEFA afterwards if they start their shite. 

One win in seventeen games .where do we go from here ?
1. Build for next season
2. Start trying to convince as many of the decent performers in the squad as possible to stay on for next season, tell them they'll go down in history as the last Queens team to play at Hampden if it helps.
3. Find a goal scorer.
4. Tell Gow he doesn't fit into 1,2 or 3

36 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

1. Build for next season
2. Start trying to convince as many of the decent performers in the squad as possible to stay on for next season, tell them they'll go down in history as the last Queens team to play at Hampden if it helps.
3. Find a goal scorer.

Looking at the squad the now, there's not many I'd be looking to bin. Just a very inexperienced group at this level and I'd imagine this season will be a massive learning curve for them, particularly for guys like Moore, East, Grant, McGrory etc 

However, I'm not convinced that Roberts is the right guy to be in charge. 1 win in 17, is basically half a season and quite frankly that is absolutely dire. To have players like Hart, Mckernon, Galt, Gibson, he's severely underachieved with the squad. I'd love to be proved wrong but im not convinced as of yet. 

Edited by qpfc

Just now, Ben Reilly said:

1. Build for next season
3. Find a goal scorer.

Does next season include Mark Roberts, though? In normal circumstances, physically winning one game in seventeen is shoogly peg stuff at League Two level. Having said that, I can't say that I feel we've been horrific for a lot of it. We've not been great either, obviously. 

The strange thing is that I'm not sure there's too many I'd punt. We've got a lot of jobbing League Two players who'll just about get us by. The alternative might be unproven guys and youngsters who might not be good enough. We've seen what can happen when we end up with a squad like that. 

I suspect Roberts will have been watching players and drawn up the sort of guys he wants in. The issue with getting rid would also be that they weren't exactly queuing round the block when Gus left. I think the one month notice period for players makes it a pretty unattractive prospect. I suspect we'll stick with him, but we need to improve. I get the sense that a lot of players aren't entirely sure about what they're actually supposed to be doing. 

In all seriousness, holding on to as many of the squad as possible should be a priority. Hart, Gibby, Mcclean, Galt, Kurtis Robert's, Hawk, Moore to name just a few, losing some of them would be a big step backwards. That said we lost most of the squad at the end of last season and with that in mind this season has to be considered a relative success.
I would hope we'd stick with Mark Roberts (and that he'd stick with us), and give him a crack at a full season

At the last home game some of the guys I sit with were discussing the differences between life under Mark compared with Gus. We reckoned that under Gus we probably would grind out a few more results, but the football and attacking setup under Mark is more entertaining to watch. As for which we prefer, that's much harder to answer. Are results more important than entertainment? some would definitely argue they are, and that a win is a win no matter how it looks. Personally I like the formation we are playing and think it suits the current squad. You never felt there was a 7-1 win under Gus, but now you feel that on a good day when everything clicks, there is always that chance. We just need more of those days.
If Roberts has a close season to bring in some of his own guys to suit the way he wants to play, would that lead to better results next season? I don't know, and I probably have more questions than answers there.