The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

5 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Hello fellow supporters, I read your comments every week and have only made three previous posts, however, regarding us becoming a part-time professional club, is in my opinion, not going to happen. Where is the money going to come from?

Dooflick, I'm one hundred percent with you on your reasoning, but when statements like "we may need to" are attributed to the President and there doesn't appear to be a string groundswell of opinion against the idea (it's silently dormant if it is), then I fear it's going to happen. Let's wait and see what next week's meeting brings. Perhaps they've done their sums and reached the same conclusion as you, as I also don't see the net benefit - i.e. how are we going to be able to find the extra income to be able to afford the better standard of player we're being told we'll need to find without the thrill of playing at Hampden to lure them to us?

However, today is a day for celebration and another thread is more deserving of focus at this point in time!

Why couldn't Queens Park make a success of it as a part time club? Your attendances and prize money will be on par with majority of other clubs in this league? If you are playing out of lesser Hampden then surely you would have the same opportunity for sponsorship, hospitality etc. as any other team in the league?

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

Why couldn't Queens Park make a success of it as a part time club? Your attendances and prize money will be on par with majority of other clubs in this league? If you are playing out of lesser Hampden then surely you would have the same opportunity for sponsorship, hospitality etc. as any other team in the league?

On the face of it you are absolutely correct Jack, but compared to other teams at our level (and it's to soon to make an accurate assessment of the Edinburgh City model) we don't have the same goodwill or sense of local identity as the "one town - one club" teams. We have huge catchment area potential, but haven't really made sufficient strides in that regard in the past (the same could perhaps have been said of Clyde at Shawfield?) so would turning professional actually change that? I would also ask you this..........by turning professional we would significantly increase our wage bill, but in doing so how does that generate a comparable increase in the sponsorship, hospitality etc. revenue compared to our present set-up?

My fear is that losing what makes us unique actually makes us a less attractive proposition for those seeking an alternative to the Old Firm, and I'd also suggest that the pricing structure at Pollok diminishes some of that potential too. There will be those who rightly point out that we will never know unless we try, but if we got it wrong I don't think we could ever truly go back. So do we stick or twist, with there being a damned if you do, damned if you don't element to it too?

I was thinking about when QP leave Hampden and I actually think it could be good for you in terms of attracting support. If you develop Lesser Hampden into a good wee stadium, it should genuinely be a better experience for supporters than Hampden Park. Better atmosphere, closer to the play, etc....Definitely an opportunity in my view.   

2 minutes ago, sydney said:

I was thinking about when QP leave Hampden and I actually think it could be good for you in terms of attracting support. If you develop Lesser Hampden into a good wee stadium, it should genuinely be a better experience for supporters than Hampden Park. Better atmosphere, closer to the play, etc....Definitely an opportunity in my view.  

Absolutely agree Syd, but how would turning professional change any of what you just said is my point.

20 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Absolutely agree Syd, but how would turning professional change any of what you just said is my point.

I don’t think it would make any difference at all Spider. I didn’t comment on the amateur versus professional debate. All I would say is that Queens have done and continue to do as well as many semi professional teams so I’m not sure going pro would make a big difference. I do think that continuing to  focus on youth is your best bet and where you can make a difference. It’s probably essential in fact if you’re to remain amateur as clearly you can’t attract players financially. It’s a difficult dilemma but I’m honestly not sure that ‘going pro’ would make a big difference. 

One thing that did occur to me. Do you think that some players are attracted by playing at Hampden for home games ? Might seem daft but you never know. If so, could be a downside of playing at Lesser Hampden. 

Another point. You really should rename Lesser. The QP Stadium or something. 

I totally understand the concerns that many supporters have about turning semi pro, however, personally, I think you should be embracing the change and would say that it’s exciting times for your club.

It’s possibly easier for an outsider to say this without truly knowing all the facts, and I’ll accept that, but ultimately, you have a blank canvas, a good amount of cash and a support that’s on average with ourselves.

The will be learning to walk before you run, but you MAY find more away fans will come to a revamped Lesser Hampden more than they currently do, because it will be a better experience. I can’t remember the last time I went to Hampden for a club match.

A post above mentions that the handouts from the SFA was £300,000, ran right, both Alloa and Stenhousemuir are pulling in more than that with community hire from their plastic pitches (according to various discussions on Rock Sport radio), I’m sure Queens Park could follow a similar model.

As for the development side of things, clubs like Stirling, Stenhousemuir & Alloa have really good youth development programmes which has been ran through volunteers (and ultimately 1 employee ourselves, not sure about the other 2) and we continue to see young talent come through and at least be given the chance.

There are loads of good examples on how things could end up for Queens, it’s not all doom and gloom but I am sure there will be a lot of hard work on route, but I think the club should embrace the change, as I said at the start of my post, you’ve got a blank canvas to build a new huge chapter for the club.

6 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

A post above mentions that the handouts from the SFA was £300,000, ran right, both Alloa and Stenhousemuir are pulling in more than that with community hire from their plastic pitches (according to various discussions on Rock Sport radio), I’m sure Queens Park could follow a similar model.

Sensational numbers if true BB, but both clubs fall into the "one town-one club" category. I'm not saying that Queen's couldn't replicate that, but there are several astroturf pitches available for hire within a two mile radius of Hampden so we wouldn't enjoy the monopoly that those clubs do.

Sensational numbers if true BB, but both clubs fall into the "one town-one club" category. I'm not saying that Queen's couldn't replicate that, but there are several astroturf pitches available for hire within a two mile radius of Hampden so we wouldn't enjoy the monopoly that those clubs do.

At the time we were voted the best pitch in Scotland by SPFL players, it also showed that the worst 2 or 3 pitches in Scotland were plastic ones. Off the top of my head, I can’t remember who they were but it’s irrelevant.

Rock Radio football show invited the Stenny & Alloa Chairman, Iain McMenemy & Mike Mulrenny to come on to talk about then. McMenemy was honest with the figures. Now I’m going by memory here, so these figures aren’t exact, but I’m not a million miles away. However McMenemy said that it cost £800,000 a year to keep Stenny running in it’s current format, from that £800,000 pitch hire was the biggest income and in fact, pitch hire alone “almost covers the cost of running the club”. This was put to Mulrenny the next night and he didn’t go into exact figures, but did say that due to the deal they had with BSC Glasgow and that fact that East Stirlingshire no longer played at Ochilview, he would assume that Alloa would get slightly more income via their pitch than Stenny. If you search enough, you’ll probably find the podcasts if you want to listen mate.

Although they are 1 club towns, I do get that, but within a short radius of both clubs, you also have a huge amount of schools and complexes of astros and pods.

Hey, again, not saying it will work with Queens and again other than going to Scotland and Stirling games, I don’t know that area of Glasgow, I’m just pointing to the point that it could be a gold mine for you and lead to a brighter future than some of your support may believe.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

I’m just pointing to the point that it could be a gold mine for you and lead to a brighter future than some of your support may believe.

It's a great point BB and I'm sure it's something the club will be looking at. If the numbers stack up it might even be the factor that swings them towards going pro as the extra income would obviously help offset the increased wagebill, but if they are not already maximising that potential I'd be surprised as surely every possible revenue stream has already been looked at.

17 hours ago, The Spider said:

Dooflick, I'm one hundred percent with you on your reasoning, but when statements like "we may need to" are attributed to the President and there doesn't appear to be a string groundswell of opinion against the idea (it's silently dormant if it is), then I fear it's going to happen.

Hopefully the Committee are continually doing options appraisals and will do what is best for the Club. That is their role. As a member I am prepared to look at any option that is put before me and will give it full consideration. 

1 minute ago, The man with no name said:

As a member I am prepared to look at any option that is put before me and will give it full consideration. 

Of course you will and rightly so. It's the duty of every member to give full consideration to something as important as this whether they personally agree with it or not, and I'm sure there will be people who currently think with their heart who would vote with their head when the full facts are put before them should such a meeting ever be called.

As someone has already pointed out, when Ross Caven was President he had Committee members reach out to fellow members to informally guage the likely reaction to such a proposal. The fact that nothing came of it at the time suggests that there was insufficient positive feedback to formally propose it. Whether the impending sale of Hampden changes the mood remains to be seen. Until then it's all conjecture and hypothetical debate, but perhaps the waters will become less muddy later this week.

41 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Of course you will and rightly so. It's the duty of every member to give full consideration to something as important as this whether they personally agree with it or not, and I'm sure there will be people who currently think with their heart who would vote with their head when the full facts are put before them should such a meeting ever be called.

As someone has already pointed out, when Ross Caven was President he had Committee members reach out to fellow members to informally guage the likely reaction to such a proposal. The fact that nothing came of it at the time suggests that there was insufficient positive feedback to formally propose it. Whether the impending sale of Hampden changes the mood remains to be seen. Until then it's all conjecture and hypothetical debate, but perhaps the waters will become less muddy later this week.

Why, what happens this week?

At the time we were voted the best pitch in Scotland by SPFL players, it also showed that the worst 2 or 3 pitches in Scotland were plastic ones. Off the top of my head, I can’t remember who they were but it’s irrelevant.

Rock Radio football show invited the Stenny & Alloa Chairman, Iain McMenemy & Mike Mulrenny to come on to talk about then. McMenemy was honest with the figures. Now I’m going by memory here, so these figures aren’t exact, but I’m not a million miles away. However McMenemy said that it cost £800,000 a year to keep Stenny running in it’s current format, from that £800,000 pitch hire was the biggest income and in fact, pitch hire alone “almost covers the cost of running the club”. This was put to Mulrenny the next night and he didn’t go into exact figures, but did say that due to the deal they had with BSC Glasgow and that fact that East Stirlingshire no longer played at Ochilview, he would assume that Alloa would get slightly more income via their pitch than Stenny. If you search enough, you’ll probably find the podcasts if you want to listen mate.

Although they are 1 club towns, I do get that, but within a short radius of both clubs, you also have a huge amount of schools and complexes of astros and pods.

Hey, again, not saying it will work with Queens and again other than going to Scotland and Stirling games, I don’t know that area of Glasgow, I’m just pointing to the point that it could be a gold mine for you and lead to a brighter future than some of your support may believe.
I don't dispute that you heard those figures quoted on the radio but I find it hard to believe them.

£800,000 works out at over £2k a day.

If those figures are correct it's no wonder boys clubs are struggling to afford pitch hire.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

I don't dispute that you heard those figures quoted on the radio but I find it hard to believe them.

£800,000 works out at over £2k a day.

If those figures are correct it's no wonder boys clubs are struggling to afford pitch hire.

Yeah. Seems to be on the high side. They would need almost daily full bookings.

Yeah. Seems to be on the high side. They would need almost daily full bookings.

About half that will be the takings at the wee pie shop from cold and hungry parents. One of the best in the country.

TBF, the pitches are well used. I say pitches, there’s three small sided across the pitch. Even if Stenny are at home they’ll have kids out for hourly slots on a Saturday from 9-1. Training nights through the week for various local youth teams. Plus there’s Fives pitches behind the goals. All adds up.

Just read on one of the "On This Day" twitter stat things that on this day in 1994 we beat Meadowbank 3-2. That makes it exactly 25 years since my first 90 minutes at Hampden. No idea who scored, but I'd wager O'Neill and/or McPhee.