The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

there are still some confidentiality issues, and the president asked us not to put anything on social media.

commmittee, are pretty visible at home games these days, a chat with one of them, would update you.

15 minutes ago, dirvy said:

there are still some confidentiality issues, and the president asked us not to put anything on social media.

commmittee, are pretty visible at home games these days, a chat with one of them, would update you.

Thanks dirvy, that's understandable, and all that's needed. No need for a Clyde thread.

19 minutes ago, dirvy said:

Nice one. This would have been a sufficient answer, in the first instance, to people with legitimate questions. No idea what other folk are playing at with the snideness. 

Alright lads, I've recorded a podcast with former Queen's Park forward David Weatherston. I ended up speaking to him for almost five hours, he's a brilliant guy.

Anyway, here's part one where he talks exclusively about his time at Hampden. You'd think I'd get bored talking about the promotion-winning side of 2007 but here we are. He's the fourth person I've interviewed after Stevie Canning, Alan Trouten and Mick Dunlop.

CLICK

Re the meeting about Lesser

This was organised by a member of the Supporters’ Association committee - not the club – so well done to him.  A midday before a home game might have got a bigger attendance but I can only guess the idea was to encourage folk into the social club for a few pints before the game and to get bodies on the supporters’ bus  - which was going straight to Broadwood from there after the meeting  - so from that point of view it was a success (we don’t usually run buses to there or Coatbridge anymore as fans were going by public transport or car so the buses were running at a loss)  

There was only so much they could tell us regarding the funding at the moment due to confidentiality clauses with the SFA but there was other things mentioned that I don’t see a problem getting shared with fans on here

Work on the ground will start at the end of this season. They are looking at initially building a 1900 seater stand, which is more than enough for League 2 games but could be an issue if we get certain Premiership or Championship teams in a cup draw. Some suggested moving such games to Hampden but the general mood in the room was play the game at Lesser and give the away support at least  the percentage of tickets required under the rules. It will be a better atmosphere and as long as every regular QP supporter gets in then who cares? I doubt the SFA would let us play there anyway

Folk raised the point about terracing and could this be put across from this stand (or behind a goal) They will be looking at that as well but to get the new ground licenced there needs to be a certain amount of covered seats so that’s the priority at the moment. Gerry Crawley was very keen though that the place should have the look and feel of “a proper football ground” so that leaves me more hopeful that there will be some sort of standing area eventually. They didn’t confirm at the meeting what side of Lesser the new stand will be but I heard from a source later that they are looking at “building around” what is already there ( i.e.the offices, social club, and the “farmhouse” dressing rooms) I imagine that would be a complicated task for any architect to incorporate into the design so not sure how accurate that source is to be honest

Our future status was also discussed – amateur or semi-pro? A few opinions either way and a decent debate. It could be the difference between having an amateur team in the Lowland League or surviving and being competitive in the SPFL. Certainly an issue that is very much on the table once we leave Hampden.

Edited by Mick1867

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 18:51, Francesc Fabregas said:

Alright lads, I've recorded a podcast with former Queen's Park forward David Weatherston. I ended up speaking to him for almost five hours, he's a brilliant guy.

Anyway, here's part one where he talks exclusively about his time at Hampden. You'd think I'd get bored talking about the promotion-winning side of 2007 but here we are. He's the fourth person I've interviewed after Stevie Canning, Alan Trouten and Mick Dunlop.

CLICK

Riveting listening. Thanks to you and David.

Luke Donnelly is supposedly signing for us, what’s you guys thoughts on him?
A dumplin who had the nack of getting you important goals. Slow but decent footwork. Good positional sense but the abilty to drive you nuts with frustration. You may recall the 2 goals against Arbroath at the end of last season with the second really summing up the potential ability in the boy.

On 08/01/2019 at 21:22, Lichtie78 said:

Luke Donnelly is supposedly signing for us, what’s you guys thoughts on him?

Folk think he should be a big battering ram because of his height. That's not his game. "Enigmatic" would best describe him. Some games you wonder what on earth he's doing in the lower leagues and the next week he'll fall over the ball. 

I liked him and think his attributes outweighed his weaknesses. A guy like Campbell might also get the very best out of him with his man management if he's going to be at the club for a decent period of time. 

Folk think he should be a big battering ram because of his height. That's not his game. "Enigmatic" would best describe him. Some games you wonder what on earth he's doing in the lower leagues and the next week he'll fall over the ball. 
I liked him and think his attributes outweighed his weaknesses. A guy like Campbell might also get the very best out of him with his man management if he's going to be at the club for a decent period of time. 

He’s signed until the end of next season, so plenty time to work with. Can he play at all on the wing?That’s a position we need someone to take a game in. Heard from fans and seen in person he’s got bags of ability, will be interested to see if DC can channel that ability into making him a right good player. One previous example of him doing that is with ex-Spider David Gold. Signed under Todd Lumsden and had a fairly awful season whilst showing glimpses of obvious technical ability. Been molder from a #10, to a good utility player who can perform at full back, on the wing and in centre midfield.

On 08/01/2019 at 17:33, JT1867 said:

This was mentioned at a previous meeting, but the constitution refers to members of the club, not players. There is nothing to stop the committee handing out professional contracts tomorrow without an EGM.

It would however be a brave committee that went down that route without the members agreement.

On 08/01/2019 at 20:00, The Spider said:

That surprises me as I'm sure I've seen reference to the business being that of an amateur football club. Haven't read the booklet for years now, but will need to dig it out and refresh my memory. In the event that the committee has the power to do that I'd very much doubt they would call an EGM, and would simply put it to the vote at Committee level.

On 09/01/2019 at 13:44, The man with no name said:

Always best to check, we wouldn't want a Berwick Rangers scenario!

Still to dig out the wee booklet and go throught it, but I did find this on the internet, of all places in the Scottish Parlaimenmt archives!

Q.P.F.C.'s motto 'Ludere causa ludendi' literally translated means 'to play for the sake of playing' and the principal purpose of the Club is to make the game of football available to as many players as possible. This is formalised in our Memorandum of Association, Section 3, which confirms our Club's purpose to 'establish and maintain amateur teams of football and other players'.

Assuming this remains current and hasn't been overridden by one of numerous subsequent amendments during the last few years, then this alone raises an interesting hurdle. In isolation (depending on one's interpretation) this would not stop the club from fielding a professional player, but how many professional players would need to be in the side to qualify as "a professional team"? 2, 6, 11?

This is simply looking at a single extract in isolation, but for me it already begins to cast doubts on whether the Committee (brave or otherwise) have sufficient power on their own to declare that we are becoming a professional club.

Ok, I've now gone through it and believe the key clauses to be as follows;

6.2 To promote the practice and play of football...................................and for that purpose to establish and maintain amateur teams of football, and other players.

That seems straightforward enough to me, however the Committee might argue that the following clause gives them the power to override that if they feel it's neccessary for the objects of the Club; one of which is obviously its survival.

41. The transaction of the business of the Club and its entire management shall be vested in the Committee, who shall have full power of management and control over the conduct and affairs of the Club............................and they shall, subject as aforesaid, have power to do all acts and things which they may consider proper and advantageous for carrying out the objects of the Club, and in particular (but so as not to restrict the preceding generality) they shall have power to do the following things:-

To enter into contracts for the Club and rescind, alter, and vary the same, and to do all such acts and things as they may consider expedient or necessary for the purposes and objects of the Club.

So I think there's a fair degree of subjectivity in this, and in the absence of a definitive statement we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Interesting times ahead!

14 hours ago, The Spider said:

Ok, I've now gone through it and believe the key clauses to be as follows;

6.2 To promote the practice and play of football...................................and for that purpose to establish and maintain amateur teams of football, and other players.

That seems straightforward enough to me, however the Committee might argue that the following clause gives them the power to override that if they feel it's neccessary for the objects of the Club; one of which is obviously its survival.

41. The transaction of the business of the Club and its entire management shall be vested in the Committee, who shall have full power of management and control over the conduct and affairs of the Club............................and they shall, subject as aforesaid, have power to do all acts and things which they may consider proper and advantageous for carrying out the objects of the Club, and in particular (but so as not to restrict the preceding generality) they shall have power to do the following things:-

To enter into contracts for the Club and rescind, alter, and vary the same, and to do all such acts and things as they may consider expedient or necessary for the purposes and objects of the Club.

So I think there's a fair degree of subjectivity in this, and in the absence of a definitive statement we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Interesting times ahead!

Why don't you raise it at the information evening?

22 hours ago, an86 said:

Any word on our rearranged game (with Berwick)? 

my guess is it will be Wednesday 20th February 2019, 7:30pm (see below)

4 hours ago, The man with no name said:

Why don't you raise it at the information evening?

If I'm there I will, but I'm looking forward to Berwick re-arranging the game for that night, and then blithely informing anyone who goes to the game instead that they aren't entitled to know what happened at the meeting. Yes I know it ain't gonna happen, but I'd have loved demonstrating what a bitch karma can be :unsure: