The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

We've lost one league game at home and some folk on here have absolutely lost the heid on the back of a recent losing run. We lost to two full time sides and the top team in the league in those four games. What was the realistic expectation from these games? Cowdenbeath would be the only one that we'd have been realistically expecting to be taking points from and we were really poor. 

Performance wise, Saturday was OK and may have been good enough to win other games. I think we can let the top three go. It's a case of who'll win the league between Edinburgh City and Peterhead with Clyde probably having enough for third. Sadly for Albion Rovers, they look doomed to a playoff.

We're in the middle pack where everyone can beat each other. Other teams around us have more players who have been over the course before, whereas we've a lot of inexperience at league level. I don't think we'll have enough for the playoffs, but I don't think we're going to be dragged into anything at the other end either. 

In terms of the manager, he's just in the door and trying to implement ideas and put his mark on the team. He needs time to do that. Proper time. We have to accept where we are and that we're going to have ups and downs. There's a tendancy to get too carried away when we win a couple of games and proclaim disaster when we lose a couple. 

Edited by an86

I think that we have the makings of a very decent squad for next year provided we can stay together. Considering the situation two weeks before the season started I think that Gus must be praised for his ability to find such talent and Mark for taking over an inexperienced squad and instantly changing the formation into a much more attractive team to watch. With such inexperience it goes with the territory that we will be inconsistent and the past four or five weeks have not been unexpected. It was a shame about the performance at Cowdenbeath but they have improved beyond their wildest dreams this season and it was never an easy place to visit. Yes, we have weaknesses, what team doesn't, but when they are mentioned in passing the vilification for having the audacity to mention them is way over the top. It is consistent and predictable. I have enjoyed watching our play much better than last season. We are much more progressive.

Gus signed up an excellent squad and, as said above, we looked as if we'd struggle to raise a 5 a side team a couple of weeks before the season started.

Forget the cup ties against better sides. We were poor at Cowden, accepted. But we had 3 terrific chances against Edin City and plenty against Stirling where the ball was whacked across the box quite often with no takers. A wee bit of luck (and a bit better aim) and we'd have 4, if not 6 points there.

Realistically, we're aiming for fourth. That's not beyond us.

I think that we have the makings of a very decent squad for next year provided we can stay together. Considering the situation two weeks before the season started I think that Gus must be praised for his ability to find such talent and Mark for taking over an inexperienced squad and instantly changing the formation into a much more attractive team to watch. With such inexperience it goes with the territory that we will be inconsistent and the past four or five weeks have not been unexpected. It was a shame about the performance at Cowdenbeath but they have improved beyond their wildest dreams this season and it was never an easy place to visit. Yes, we have weaknesses, what team doesn't, but when they are mentioned in passing the vilification for having the audacity to mention them is way over the top. It is consistent and predictable. I have enjoyed watching our play much better than last season. We are much more progressive.
Willie - there should be no vilification for pointing out weaknesses but the way it's being done is possibly what gets people's backs up.

17 hours ago, jinky said:

shame we had to change Managers as think Gus"s experience and his knowledge of the squad he assembled would have taken us further up the league.

We need to start winning again soon or we will find ourselves spiralling further down towards the relegation pit!

Actually, we had to change managers because Gus decided to leave. For the fourth game in a row, we could end up in the top 4 on Saturday depending on results elsewhere, and us winning of course. What a time to be alive.

Mrs BYOS once pointed out to me that "it seems to me most teams lose and only a few win at football". It was crushing at the time but from her impassionate position, she was right. As much as Gus had the right to move on I've got the right to stick with my favourite club and watch my favourite team in the rank rotten division of a rank rotten league. I've more respect for all the loyal fans of clubs in Scotland's rotten and rank rotten divisions than I'd ever have for the happy clappers who hang onto the big clubs. 

Rank rotten and proud! I see a sales opportunity for the club shop here.

19 hours ago, jinky said:

For me McKernon is very average and flatters as he runs around chasing shadows and likes nothing better than punting upfield like they do in the Juniors and Roberts has potential but positionally is weak and tends to take too many touches..so both for me are technically deficient in an area where we have previously excelled.Maybe an additional player in CM at the expense of a wide man would help as being played through too easily.

I could not agree more another midfielder with positional sense and discipline to protect. Let Jambo do his running and pressing and move Kurtis further forward to support the forward and move right or left depending on who Mark plays. Moore and East are definitely impact players. MacLean has got some great touches but needs to give us more in games as he does not impact the game in my opinion enough. Martin was good last week.

Play big Hawke up top with someone buzzing about him and a solid unit being them.  Kindlan or Mcgrory could be the 3rd midfielder if fit and available. 

As it’s nearing Christmas thought I’d post this ... cool gift idea . I believe a number of clubs have partnered with nostalgia cases to sell their products in club shop etc too

https://nostalgiacases.co.uk/collections/queens-park-phone-cases

Almost forgot , Pie and Bovril promoting too,

10% discount with code PIEANDBOV

That's 2 decent midfielders left in recent weeks..Fotheringham & Lachlan!....imo don't think either was given a chance by new manager which is bizarre as midfield has been average at best.

Lachlan has gone back to Lowland league outfit Cumbernauld where he was POY last year and no doubt Gregor has either got a team lined up or will find one very quickly...really didn't expect these two to be casualties and from what ive heard our Mgr is a very poor communicator with those that are on the periphery of the team.

Cant imagine there will be too many players available to replace these two from the Jan sales and also what happens if we lose a couple more to higher league clubs?

12 minutes ago, jinky said:

That's 2 decent midfielders left in recent weeks..Fotheringham & Lachlan!....imo don't think either was given a chance by new manager which is bizarre as midfield has been average at best.

Lachlan has gone back to Lowland league outfit Cumbernauld where he was POY last year and no doubt Gregor has either got a team lined up or will find one very quickly...really didn't expect these two to be casualties and from what ive heard our Mgr is a very poor communicator with those that are on the periphery of the team.

Cant imagine there will be too many players available to replace these two from the Jan sales and also what happens if we lose a couple more to higher league clubs?

Sorry but have to disagree with this. McKernon and Roberts are our 2 best midfield players and should be playing ahead of Fotheringham. Some players bide their time and wait for their chance to prove that theory wrong, others decide to leave.

It's not a career for these guys, so it's easy to see why players ask to leave if they're not kicking a ball and not getting paid. That's not a criticism of anyone. Just another aspect of the unique position we're in as a club.

3 hours ago, jinky said:

Your passive disenchantment with Roberts (Mark that is) is becoming more obvious Jinky. What do you know that the rest of us don't? Perhaps these players are moving because they bought into something that Gus "promised" them and it hasn't turned out that way. That's just life. I don't know Mark Roberts but his interviews have always relayed a positive message and an inclusiveness but with a 27 man squad of unpaid part-timers surely it was inevitable that they wouldn't all last until May, regardless of the manager.

The criticism of Jambo recently was justified in the context of a few recent games. However, he was also the key link in our purple patch, under Mark Roberts, switching play left and right and  bossing the midfield. Roberts comment after the ECFC game was telling; he clearly instigated the change at half-time and we played our controlled passing and pressing game and dominated Edinburgh. The mystery is why we play like that sometimes and hoofball other times. It could just be that against the likes of Edinburgh and Peterhead the guys lose their composure whereas Stirling, Elgin and the like we play the ball game. Maybe Saturday will give us more clues.

On 11/12/2018 at 00:14, jinky said:

.For me McKernon is very average and flatters as he runs around chasing shadows and likes nothing better than punting upfield like they do in the Juniors

Is this your opinion on his performances in recent matches or have you always thought this about him?

He certainly hasn't played like this for most of the games I've seen him play this season or indeed in his previous spell with us , especially the season we stayed up in League 1. His departure before last season was a big contributing factor to our relegation imo, we never replaced him with a player of similar quality 

Can't believe you don't rate him yet bemoan the loss of inferior players but I suppose it would be a dull as f**k world if we all thought the same

Yip,all down to opinions...hes never done it for me-too wee and no presence and just reminds me of a wee lost terrier chasing an elusive bone!

We have been needing a bigger more athletic mid-fielder to dominate this area for quite some time and someone who can bring out the best in their teammates through their drive and leadership.Thats the DNA that I would be asking my scouts to focus on when identifying potential new recruits...not saying its easy to find this type of player but its such an important position within the team and for me Jambo despite his credentials falls well short.

Some very peculiar takes in recent times. Manager just in the door and people questioning him. Jambo "very average." I really want to know what the expectations are here. Take McKernon out of our team for a few games and just see what happens to us.... 

2 minutes ago, jinky said:

Yip,all down to opinions...hes never done it for me-too wee and no presence and just reminds me of a wee lost terrier chasing an elusive bone!

We have been needing a bigger more athletic mid-fielder to dominate this area for quite some time and someone who can bring out the best in their teammates through their drive and leadership.Thats the DNA that I would be asking my scouts to focus on when identifying potential new recruits...not saying its easy to find this type of player but its such an important position within the team and for me Jambo despite his credentials falls well short.

I see what you are doing here. Reverse psychology. Jambo will play out of his skin tomorrow and throw a thirty yard screamer in the poky. Like your work.