The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

6 minutes ago, an86 said:

Led Brechin and a not very good Clyde side to the playoffs, won the League One title with Morton and did a very good job in getting them to the playoffs in the Championship.

He was binned by Brechin for failing to deliver promotion and then took three years to build that "not very good" Clyde side, before fudging his way to the title ahead of part-time sides with comparatively tiny budgets. Good coach, shite manager.

Just now, the_bully_wee said:

He was binned by Brechin for failing to deliver promotion and then took three years to build that "not very good" Clyde side, before fudging his way to the title ahead of part-time sides with comparatively tiny budgets. Good coach, shite manager.

^^^rattled^^^

I liked Jim Duffy as a person, there's no doubt he worked very hard. He usually comes across well (similar to the radio, he's happy just to chat football). Didn't fight with fans, and generally got us well organised and playing with a clear strategy in his final season, one in which we were very unlucky to not beat East Fife in the play-off semi-final. It was a team he'd taken time to mould, playing with two wingers, a target man striker, and someone in behind. 442 but almost 4231. Hardworking but not pretty central midfielders. He would occasionally play a different system/formation but that's usually what he resorted back to. I'd suggest he was lucky to some extent with injuries in that final season; we basically played the same eleven in every game, but there's no doubt it was an enjoyable year.

I think he's a sound, but unspectacular, appointment for Queen's Park and someone who tactically won't be much of a change from McPherson. 

Negatives, well, he'll be nowhere near as good at McPherson at signing players. We obviously didn't have much of a budget but he signed a lot of dross, and what's worse is he kept a lot of it at the club. His final act as manager was to renew contracts with the likes of Watt, Scullion, Gray, Rajovic and countless others, all of who were soon (rightly) jettisoned by Barry Ferguson.  With us challenging at the top end of the league in his final season, and desperate for a striker, he brought in Bradley Coyne who barely played a minute. 

During his first full season we went on a run of 18 games with only one win (against East Stirlingshire) and he showed no signs of being able to  stop that despite having a good goalkeeper/pair of centre halves. We were probably the only side not to lay a punch on the Rangers in their League 2 season.  He also started a game at Hampden with Charlie Miller and Pat Scullion as our midfield pairing (we were humped 4-0). Not perfect by any means.

I always felt one of Duffy's failures was that he had his clear favourites, and was very loyal to them even when they were having a stinker, they were never hooked. He also had his whipping boys who he screamed at the slightest mistake they made.

2 hours ago, Smokiejohn said:

The article below is well written and worth a read regarding Jim Duffy .

http://terracepodcast.net/the-resurgence-of-jim-duffy/

That's an accurate summation of where we were in January 2016 and everything it points out as a strength of Duffy is true. He is an excellent man manager, the team spirit he instils is fantastic and was crucial in us grinding out results and the transformation of players who went from not looking good enough in League One to being excellent in the Championship is testament to how good a coach he is, particularly with defenders.

Ricki Lamie is probably the best example. When we signed him from you in 2014 the reaction from your fans was mostly that he'd be a solid League One centre back but we should never ever let him near left back. Right enough, Duffy regularly played him at left back that season and he was routinely ripped apart, looking out of his depth at that level, while looking no more than bang average when played at centre back. Over the following three years of working with Duffy he developed into one of the best centre backs in the Championship who was solid whenever he was played at left back as well, and is now looking entirely comfortable playing at left wing back for the team sitting third in the top flight. It's an incredible transformation that owes a great deal to Duffy's coaching.

However, the time that article was written something of a high point for Duffy and his flaws came to the fore again as that season and the last derailed. While it was to Duffy's credit that we were in a strong position in the first place, we ended the 16/17 season with our worst run of results in more than 20 years as form turned and he had no idea how to fix it. It was a total collapse and we only scraped into the playoffs in the end.

That could be put down to running out of steam, but when you put it in the context of a collapse happening again the following season it becomes harder to defend Duffy. At the end of February 2018 we were sitting on six wins out of seven games, we were clear favourites for the playoffs and we were actually breathing down Livingston's neck. He then overhauls the winning team against Livingston because we had Celtic in the cup coming up, loses, then persists with the weakened team, never returning to the core of the starting XI which delivered 6 wins from 7 as he'd found an excuse to shoehorn some his favourites back in.  We only won 2 of our last 11 games. We went from 6 points clear of 5th to finishing 9 points behind 4th, all because Duffy had to indulge his need to tinker and completely overhaul the formation rather than persisting with a winning team, with terrible substitutions throwing more points away. After overseeing successive end of season collapses, his position was completely untenable and he could have no complaints about being sacked.

He's a great manager on the training ground and with that in mind he should do well in getting all of your squad performing to the best of their ability, but his game management leaves a lot to be desired.

2 hours ago, Smokiejohn said:

The article below is well written and worth a read regarding Jim Duffy .

http://terracepodcast.net/the-resurgence-of-jim-duffy/

The 'dressing room mentality' bit will cetainly be helpful. Our current group is pretty decent. If we can just master that bit about 'ball inbetween big white sticks' we might have a decent season yet. My concern, as it would be with any experienced coach, is does he understand just how tricky it is trying to harvest quality on a zero budget. 

Still, it makes a statement about how the current committee is viewing our future on the playing field. A strong experienced coach is needed when we have so many rookie players. Good luck Jim.

I think Duffy should do a decent job for Queens Park. He might not be the most spectacular manager going but i would say he's good at keeping things steady which for a team losing their manager to another club is not a bad thing.Its not like he needs to come in and make sweeping changes. The biggest problem i would say is his ability to changes things in games when they aren't going well which could be an issue if you were to make the playoffs. 

27 minutes ago, scot-gcar709 said:

I think Duffy should do a decent job for Queens Park. He might not be the most spectacular manager going but i would say he's good at keeping things steady which for a team losing their manager to another club is not a bad thing.Its not like he needs to come in and make sweeping changes. The biggest problem i would say is his ability to changes things in games when they aren't going well which could be an issue if you were to make the playoffs. 

Would have done a tremendous job to even get us to the playoffs. Looking forward to seeing what he brings.

Duffy will do ok, won’t be most exciting football but will steady things at least. Just be ready for like for like substitutes etc, won’t change things during games after he has set up. Tends to settle for the result he has after an hour.

A forward will replace a forward, a mid fielder will replace a mid fielder and do on.

I was never a fan when he was with us, but on reflection he probably did as good a job as anyone could at the time, just a bit of stubborn team selections and the like didn’t endear me to him.

Edited by FREDDYFRY

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Duffy will do ok, won’t be most exciting football but will steady things at least. Just be ready for like for like substitutes etc, won’t change things during games after he has set up. Tends to settle for the result he has after an hour.

A forward will replace a forward, a mid fielder will replace a mid fielder and do on.

I was never a fan when he was with us, but on reflection he probably did as good a job as anyone could at the time, just a bit of stubborn team selections and the like didn’t endear me to him.

Believe me, his substitutions policy can be no worse than Gus'. You could set your watch to the time and player.

18 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Sadly, he wasn't binned by Brechin.  Duffy's final year ended by him resigning as his father had passed away a couple of days before the final match he managed.  He kept that to himself until after the game and handed in his resignation then.  Even the players didn't know.  Duffy went up in my estimation after hearing that.  He ground out results and got us to the promotion places and whilst his management style isn't the greatest and we had a tiny squad under him, the players we did have worked their socks off for him.  As quoted, he is a good coach, but I believe he's of the school of thought that he can only do so much, once the players are on the pitch it's up to them to make the difference rather than him 'playing' from the sidelines with continual instructions i.e if you don't know what you're doing by the time the whistle is blown then there's not much i can help you with!

I think he'll do well at Queens Park.