The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

41 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Where to begin?

He took over at the end of season 2011-12 from Brian Reid after we got relegated from the Championship again. Admittedly, the budget was less than Reid had.

1st season (2012/2013) - He signed some awful jobbers like Austin McCann, refused to play Jackson Longridge, managed to square go our own fans away to Albion Rovers and continued to play himself. We struggled to 7th in League One playing insipid hoof ball. If it wasn't for Michael Moffat we'd have probably been relegated. 

I actually stopped my season ticket at this point as I was so frustrated.

2nd season (2013/14) - He signed David Hutton , Anthony Marenghi, Gordon Pope, Kevin Kyle & Craig Malcolm. Although he repeatedly played Craig Malcolm out of position. Continued to launch the ball long at fat Kyle who at this stage couldn't jump an inch off the ground and would fall over claiming a foul. By some miracle (Michael Moffat's goals) we scraped 4th in League One by a point. Then got soundly pumped by Cowdenbeath 5-2 on aggregate. Roberts retains his job despite supporter discontent as he met his objectives (ie. Playoffs). Moffat leaves us for Dunfermline.

3rd season (2014/15) - His pattern of signing absolute jobbers and not playing young players continues. Kevin McKinlay, Nicky Devlin (actually good!), John Paul McGovern & Craig Beattie sign. Craig Beattie was a perma crock. We start the season with 4 wins, 1 draw & 1 loss not playing well to be honest. Then proceed to win 1 in 11 (sit 2nd bottom) with Roberts getting sacked in December when the board were left with no choice. Our attendances were into the mid hundreds for some home games. The club appoint Ian McCall who only just manages to salvage our season as we finish 8th and the rest is history. I'm confident had Roberts remained we would have been in League 2.

In summary:

Mark Roberts played old has beens rather than youths.

I think he struggled to move from the joker in the dressing room to manager.  

Michael Moffat's goals papered over the cracks of his team's in his first 2 seasons.

He was totally out of his depth, I remember he even invited a fan to the dugout to give instructions to the team.

He was an arrogant t**t to boot and wouldn't admit he was out of his depth. Square going your own fans is never good...

My advice even if he wins every game as caretaker do not appoint him!

P.S. Apologies for gazumping your thread but you did ask.

Not at all. I did ask! He seems a popular guy with the players, but being there’s a world of difference between being an assistant and being the manager. The relationship dynamic would inevitably change. He has come across is quite an affable guy as  well, but that doesn’t mean he can manage.  

Hopefully him trying to prove himself and the players trying to prove to him can be a positive for us today and probably next week. If he does get it, he’ll hopefully have done a lot of learning from his Ayr experience. Whoever it is will get my backing anyway.

We are limited because of all the injuries we have at present. But give someone else a chance Fotheringhay is a limited footballer and to me does not give much to the team. But I suppose Kindlan, Lachkan, McGrory are injured fir midfield. Here's hoping one of them gets back and replaced him. 

As soon as i saw the team sheet and saw no centre-forward on it i knew we were in for a tanking. Mortimer on the wing and Osadolar at wing back?? Is it any wonder why Kurtis looked so fustrated in midfield - He had absolutely nobody to play the ball up to. City played with two big lads up front and a Number 10 and they split us open time and time again. There was even a 20 minute spell where QP players never even made a pass.

And what contribution did Fotheringham and McLean make? I never saw either of them touch the ball and i was amazed that McLean was still on the field at the end.

No play-offs for us this season because we are nowhere near the level that we need to be to finish Top 4.

Edited by Shugs

By all accounts the dressing room was a  shambles after the game. People calling other people out when they were at fault, blaming young players rather than taking some sort of responsibility and showing a lack of respect to our stand in manager. That's one thing Gus had was total control of the dressing room. 

What Gus left us with was players who can't score goals. Smart and Billy are lowland league players at best. 

Play 2 up big hawke and young east who look if they know where the goal is. We have given Billy to many chances.

The other young boys that Gus brought obviously aren't good enough either or they would have been involved more. 

14 hours ago, spider1867 said:

By all accounts the dressing room was a  shambles after the game. People calling other people out when they were at fault, blaming young players rather than taking some sort of responsibility and showing a lack of respect to our stand in manager. That's one thing Gus had was total control of the dressing room. 

What Gus left us with was players who can't score goals. Smart and Billy are lowland league players at best. 

Play 2 up big hawke and young east who look if they know where the goal is. We have given Billy to many chances.

The other young boys that Gus brought obviously aren't good enough either or they would have been involved more. 

If true that is very sad to hear. With that underlying attitude it will be a hard road forward. The sooner a new manager/ coach is found the better. I agree entirely that Mortimer has had more than enough chances and should be ditched. I also agree with Hawke being a gimmee with support from either East or Peters. Smart would be in my team but not as a striker. Playing wide he can deliver some fine balls into the stikers. Injuries (why so many?) have upset the rhythm of the midfield and we have not had a chance to see the potential of some of the new lads due to this situation. I cannot see Fotheringham being a regular first pick. The other player who worries me is Summers although I concede I may be out on my own on that one. He just seems weak in defence and is slow to turn  and chase down his man. I look to these backs to prevent crosses and he is not good at that. That said we have the nucleus of a decent team and with good leadership there is no reason why we cannot be challenging for a play off spot.

Let's not get the "we're doooomed!" chat started this early. If there wasn't a robust exchange of views in the dressing room after Saturday, I'd be concerned.
Gus has recruited well and we have a squad that'll compete. Who was confident of that, pre-season?
Young guys won't play well every week; for example, Grant didn't play well on Sat but has been one of the real stars so far.
We have a strong defence and, potentially, the same in midfield. Once we get the strike force sorted (yip, easy to say, I know), we'll be ok. We have a reasonable pool of forwards to mix and match..... the trick will be to get that right.

What the team needs now is a confidence boosting deserved win. I can only hope that the recent slump in form and lack lustre performances are due to the state of flux that the club is in what with the Hampden scenario and Gus's move etc.

What I saw on Saturday was Edinburgh City playing the way I know we can .... playing the passing game as a team instaed of the constant 'hopeful' long ball which in the main hands possession back to the opponents and shows a severe lack of confidence.

The sooner we have a new man at the helm to get us focused and  steady the ship ....the better. 

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

The other player who worries me is Summers although I concede I may be out on my own on that one. He just seems weak in defence and is slow to turn  and chase down his man. I look to these backs to prevent crosses and he is not good at that. 

I agree about Summers defensively.

Good going forward though.

Let's not get the "we're doooomed!" chat started this early. If there wasn't a robust exchange of views in the dressing room after Saturday, I'd be concerned.
Gus has recruited well and we have a squad that'll compete. Who was confident of that, pre-season?
Young guys won't play well every week; for example, Grant didn't play well on Sat but has been one of the real stars so far.
We have a strong defence and, potentially, the same in midfield. Once we get the strike force sorted (yip, easy to say, I know), we'll be ok. We have a reasonable pool of forwards to mix and match..... the trick will be to get that right.
Think your right , this leaks from the dressing room stuff happens at every club most is complete and utter nonsense at Clyde fortunately it has dropped away ( we had turned it into an art form [emoji23])
More worrying if the players simply trudged away home saying nothing
Edinburgh have assembled a good squad still no convinced they will go the distance if injuries kick in but you never know
You probably need a manger in soon but worst thing board coukd do is panic

8 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

The interview with Scott Gibson should have been rerecorded. It made him look really bad. Is that what we want to see from our captain.  Going back to the game on Saturday - where were our mid-field? All too often there were Edinburgh players in acres of space.

He’s not a professional footballer, they don’t do media training, he looked and sounded like a guy who was pissed off with the performance and result. We also don’t know what went on in the dressing room, so you can understand why he might not have been feeling particularly chirpy. 

On another subject, at what sort of pace is the managerial role expected to be filled? Clyde at home? Usually someone has heard something and someone will be “linked” i.e touting themselves in the press. Unusually quiet.

4 hours ago, cfcuk said:

More worrying if the players simply trudged away home saying nothing

That's not what I was saying. My point was that our supposedly senior and experienced  players outing young players is not the way forward. Our club is built on giving young players a chance not having a go at them when as they will make mistakes. These are the same cowards who would not say anything when Gus controlled the dressing room.  We are not to far away from a good competitive side. Just need some guidance.  Some midfielders to get fit. So fotheringham can get nowhere near our team. 

8 hours ago, an86 said:

He’s not a professional footballer, they don’t do media training, he looked and sounded like a guy who was pissed off with the performance and result. We also don’t know what went on in the dressing room, so you can understand why he might not have been feeling particularly chirpy. 

On another subject, at what sort of pace is the managerial role expected to be filled? Clyde at home? Usually someone has heard something and someone will be “linked” i.e touting themselves in the press. Unusually quiet.

You seem to have missed the point I was making. I was not criticising Scott but QPTV. They are meant to present the club in a good light not to put out a piece starring a shell shocked player. I'd also like the interviewer not to ape the worst of the BBC method of making a statement instead of an open question - a frustrating afternoon out there for you - was the start of both interviews.

3 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

You seem to have missed the point I was making. I was not criticising Scott but QPTV. They are meant to present the club in a good light not to put out a piece starring a shell shocked player. I'd also like the interviewer not to ape the worst of the BBC method of making a statement instead of an open question - a frustrating afternoon out there for you - was the start of both interviews.

To be fair to Sean, he's not a professional broadcaster either as far as I know. He and the others involved do a better job than almost any other club at our level in terms of the content they provide us with. Gives up his own time to do it as well. 

Any constructive comments should be fired into the club. The last thing we need are people who knock their pan in for nothing other than the love of the club getting pissed off by public criticism.

Only 2 weeks since we put the Welsh champions out of the Irn Bru ...no cause for alarm.