The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

1 hour ago, spider1867 said:

Jim Duffy, Mark Wilson, Lee McCulloch, Mark Roberts, David McCallum, Barry Ferguson, Jim Chapman,  to name of few. 

Lee McCulloch? Barry Ferguson?  Someone's havin' a laff!

David McCallum - would be a good shout as would Billy Stark. Definitely not Gardner Speirs though. That way lies the Lowland League.

I'll miss Gus. He took on Queen's when they were at their lowest possible ebb and turned them into a promotion winning outfit. Kept us up for the expected 2 seasons before the inevitable relegation due to players leaving. That's been the way since the end of World War II and it ain't going to change due to our amateur status.  The football could at times be difficult on the eye but there were plenty of good performances too. As last season wore on he did seem genuinely flummoxed  in many of his post match interviews as goal after goal flew in past a horrendous defence and the forwards (or forward?) consistently failed to find the net, or even the general whereabouts of the opposition goal. However this season promised much under Gus - he rebuilt the side and we've had some good early season performances, especially drawing with St Mirren and beating Ayr United and TNS.

The Queen's job is one of the most difficult in the league especially as the fourth tier no longer provides a safety net. No room for mistakes in making this appointment.

23 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

Lee McCulloch? Barry Ferguson?  Someone's havin' a laff!

add Jim Chapman to that list of someone's having a laugh. the committee would have to take leave of their senses to appoint that long ball clown.

unless the appointment is a complete disaster then at least Albion Rovers current woes would give the new manager a bit of breathing space.

5 hours ago, The man with no name said:

Thank you for that in depth analysis, must have taken you hours to come up with that scenario!

this is P&B pal, looking for in depth analysis on here is like looking for rational and balanced Clyde posters...

Just putting the names out there. Think David McCallum was overlooked for Gus the last time. Could have been one of the reasons he moved on. Well respected at club. If Jim Duffy is interested I think he would be an early favourite.  Don't know if Mark Roberts is interested. Duffy is in similar model to Gus a bit old school. If we go for a younger ambitious coach they will be looking at higher level than ours so maybe not be at club for long term if they do well. Lee McCulloch is interesting to me if we go for a younger coach  with a point to prove. 

20 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Duffy was eminently unimpressive at Clyde.

His inability to win at Hampden won't be an issue soon anyway. 

I think your assessment of Duffy is  harsh, to be honest. Clyde were arguably at their lowest ebb in terms of the players they could attract under Duffy, which I don't think was necessarily his fault.  He had some really poor players at his disposal. He steadied the ship somewhat in his first season, albeit finishing last. When he arrived we were something like 15 points adrift at the bottom but went into the last game of the season with a chance of 9th. In his last season we made the play-offs, which I thought was a decent achievement. The club were in a better position when he left compared to how he found it. Barry Ferguson soon saw to that, though. 

QP could certainly do a lot worse than Duffy, but I think he might be in with a shout for the Raith job. 

Pains me to agree with the Clyde fans, but Duffy did more with less at Clyde, whereas Ferguson did less with more. Also did as well as could realistically be expected at Morton. Suits the safe pair of hands profile that I’d like to see us appoint, if possible.

Easier to see a Duffy side challenging for promotion playoffs than battling at the other end. As I’ve previously said, his stock is probably still high enough to rule him out. 

3 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Jim Duffy for me followed by Lee McCulloch. If Barry Ferguson gets it I will not be back.

Not seeing the McCulloch attraction myself. What are his credentials? He’s never managed at this level and had a disaster at Killie. Could arguably make a better case for Chapman and he would be so far south on my list that he’d pretty much be off the page.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Not seeing the McCulloch attraction myself. What are his credentials? He’s never managed at this level and had a disaster at Killie. Could arguably make a better case for Chapman and he would be so far south on my list that he’d pretty much be off the page.

I don't think he was a disaster at Killie. He did not have much to work with. Some Killie fans I know do not think he was given a fair chance. I admit he could be a risk and he is way behind my first choice but the other names mentioned fill me with dread. Perhaps there is a guy in Northern Ireland who wants to take us on.

15 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I don't think he was a disaster at Killie. He did not have much to work with. Some Killie fans I know do not think he was given a fair chance. I admit he could be a risk and he is way behind my first choice but the other names mentioned fill me with dread. Perhaps there is a guy in Northern Ireland who wants to take us on.

Fair points. Anyone will be a risk in some way. You don’t end up at QP if there’s not been bumps in the road, or else are unproven in some way.

Lee McCulloch....why? Killie fan in work says he was simply a disaster, bringing in his pals.

The names of all the usual suspects get rolled out; it's just paper talk. Anyone with a link to the Old Firm is normally a "favourite". Nah.

Ferguson.. FFS! My budgie knows better than to go for him.

I'd go for Paul Martin.

The Committee have a reasonable record when it comes to appointments. Hopefully that continues.