The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I sense a shift in the whole club's direction. The stadium nonsense has in part been a smoke screen. As well as a flit and a refurbishment job the club has even bigger decisions to make than how many floodlights we need. Gus has never hidden his desire to be at a full-time club and if he's brought Roberts (his old team-mate at Killie) in as part of a succession plan then full credit to him. Of course, there might be a risk Roberts would go with him but more likely he sees QP as a manageable size for him at this stage of his career . Ian Murray lives in Norway I believe. 

I think the St Mirren role would be absolutely ideal for Gus. He quite obviously has an eye to spot potential and the powers of persuasion to get his man. He can leave the coaching responsibility to another personality. On balance I would be sorry to see him go but it is not the end of the world. Exciting times.

3 hours ago, H Wragg said:

I was at the last game of the season against Bromley a couple of seasons ago and the handful of away fans were actually put into the stand opposite. Not sure if that’s normal or not but it did seem like a great waste of money on stewarding etc?

Atmosphere was lacking in a Meadowbank Stadium sort of way.

The club bar were selling of the last of their stock at 75p a bottle so it was a great day out!

I too was in the stand opposite the main one when supporting my other team Hartlepool at Gateshead last Xmas and agree it's not great, as is Hampden although both are better than Meadowbank. Cue a mention of the Reigart Stadium aka Cliftonhill which at least gives you the option of standing and isn't far from the pitch.

I'm sure that Lesser Hampden will be completely redeveloped as it's very poor with no covered seating and a running track meaning you're much higher and very far from the pitch, been a couple of times for Rovers under 20's in recent years.

9 hours ago, realmadrid said:

I am not sure if this has been discussed or not , but could Cathkin Park not be a better option than lesser Hampden?

Or would the council ask for too much for the land?

Third Lanarks owner said over a year ago that the "basic infrastructure" would cost around £250k and they had a "five year plan" to build a 2,000 capacity stand, a training pitch and car park, that would cost £5m. 

I don't know what state the terracing is in just now, as its been decaying for a long time, but it's possible you could salvage them, build a stand like they had planned and have a cracking stadium.

It's been over a year since there's been any word about that though it seems, so maybe far more expensive than they initially thought.

This was their plan... 

JS116830564.jpg.1aa0f51466caaf0a86e17d2fbc19b002.jpg

Edited by RandomGuy.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Third Lanarks owner said over a year ago that the "basic infrastructure" would cost around £250k and they had a "five year plan" to build a 2,000 capacity stand, a training pitch and car park, that would cost £5m. 

I don't know what state the terracing is in just now, as its been decaying for a long time, but it's possible you could salvage them, build a stand like they had planned and have a cracking stadium.

It's been over a year since there's been any word about that though it seems, so maybe far more expensive than they initially thought.

This was their plan... 

JS116830564.jpg.1aa0f51466caaf0a86e17d2fbc19b002.jpg

That was just pie in the sky stuff imo.

I had a look at Cathkin a few weeks ago when we played QP there is actually a lot more of the terrace left than I thought there would be although large sections have trees growing in it.

Being realistic if you were building a ground there you would have to start from scratch and have to buy the land from the council to start with, at least at Lesser QP already have their new building with the offices and social club already there which is a start as well as the 3G pitch.

11 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

That was just pie in the sky stuff imo.

I had a look at Cathkin a few weeks ago when we played QP there is actually a lot more of the terrace left than I thought there would be although large sections have trees growing in it.

Being realistic if you were building a ground there you would have to start from scratch and have to buy the land from the council to start with, at least at Lesser QP already have their new building with the offices and social club already there which is a start as well as the 3G pitch.

Yeah the majority of it sounded entirely unrealistic. Would be interesting to find out how much of this £5m they claimed it would cost would be used up in just putting a basic infrastructure in place and building a new grandstand though. Surely you'd just need to try close off the terraces from unpaying public, fit some turnstiles and get some portaloos for that area, with the new stand giving you hospitality/dressing rooms.

Im maybe totally naive about how much that would cost, but as a non-QP fan it would seem better you get a historic proper ground with ties to the club than whats realistically the equivalent of a training pitch hanging out the arse of another ground. I've never been to Lesser Hampden though, and have no idea about circumstances, so thats all just my, probably wrong, opinion.

Lifted from the St Mirren forum from one of today’s rags.

QUEEN’S PARK head coach Gus MacPherson insists that it is extremely premature to talk about him leaving his role at the Spiders and heading back to St Mirren. The 49-year-old has been linked with the job of technical director at the Paisley club, where he was manager for nearly seven years, and the Hampden outfit have given permission for talks to take place.

MacPherson, who left St Mirren in 2010, has yet to meet with new Saints boss Oran Kearney as well as chairman Gordon Scott and chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick, and he wants to hear their views on what the role entails before moving forward. MacPherson said: ‘St Mirren asked Queen’s Park for permission to speak to me on Tuesday and that has been granted. I do not know much more than that and what I have read after the story appeared.’ ‘I do not know Oran and I have never spoken to him. I do know St Mirren as a club, but any move would depend on what Oran wants and what St Mirren want from the role. ‘The manager has to be comfortable about getting on with the job he wants to do and I do not know what any role supporting that entails.’

The timing of St Mirren’s request could hardly have come at a worse time for Queen’s as it arrived just a couple of hours after they learned they would be losing their home as part of the Scottish FA’s deal to buy Hampden.

MacPherson will hold off making a decision, as he explained: ‘I do know what I would be giving up and I have turned jobs down in the past, so nothing has been agreed. Hopefully talks take place between everyone involved soon.’

Edited by an86

On 11/09/2018 at 22:22, williebraveheart said:

Personally I am delighted with today's announcement. I advocated this 20 years ago when we had some bargaining power and could have walked away with more cash and no debt to hinder us. We have been well screwed by a disgusting SFA but really only have ourselves to blame for past naivety. Lesser can be converted into a smart ground with atmosphere. I think the lure of attracting lads to play at Hampden has been overstated. Time will tell.

My worry for Queens would be that they will get swallowed up by the Pyramid system if they continue to stay amateurs. 

And McFadden said on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound: "Hampden was the best option and now the SFA can improve it, they can get revenue from their concerts and stuff like that they never got before

Finger on the pulse there James, the SFA via Hampden Park Limited have been getting the revenue from concerts "and stuff" for the past 18 years!

39 minutes ago, ItsUnited said:

My worry for Queens would be that they will get swallowed up by the Pyramid system if they continue to stay amateurs. 

I don't think there's that many non-league clubs that can offer the amount of money that would make it worthwhile.  £50 p/w to join a team in Lothian or Ayrshire or wherever or staying in Glasgow with yer travelling expenses sorted isn't much a difference really. They've managed to be competitive, gain promotion and not look out of their depth against the current teams in the lowest tier while the best the non-league has to offer currently can't get past Montrose or Cowdenbeath from the Lowland/Highland League.

1 hour ago, ItsUnited said:

That’s quite possible and it’s why the discussion on our status is inevitable. Whatever happens, I think the lower leagues will look markedly different in 20 years in comparison to now, now that the junior avalanche has begun.

3 hours ago, ItsUnited said:

It must be me as I have been hearing this argument for more years than I care to remember. We have managed as amateurs for over 150 years and I just cannot see how going professional could improve our situation. It would not protect us from the pyramid system. It would certainly increase our overheads but I am open to hearing the argument and some costings to sway me. We remain a top place for talent scouts and still are an excellent stepping stone for starting a career.

Edited by williebraveheart

The argument would be would you still be an excellent stepping stone if you were in the Lowland League (or below)?

I think the whole "playing at Hampden" draw for players is heavily overstated but without that and without league football would getting the talent to come to QP be more difficult?

18 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

It must be me as I have been hearing this argument for more years than I care to remember. We have managed as amateurs for over 150 years and I just cannot see how going professional could improve our situation. It would not protect us from the pyramid system. It would certainly increase our overheads but I am open to hearing the argument and some costings to sway me. We remain a top place for talent scouts and still are an excellent stepping stone for starting a career.

The influx of Junior teams into the Lowland League and East of Scotland League is a huge threat to not just Queen's but most clubs in League 2. Clubs like East Kilbride and Kelty Hearts are spending large sums of money to attract players. They want Senior football. Someone has to go to make way for them. Cowdenbeath have significantly upped their budget this season to make sure it is not them. At some point in the future we are going to hit a patch where we  are the Club at the bottom.  Do we wait until then or do we explore options now? The Shire have gone, this season Albion Rovers look doomed. Will we be next?

Why is it a dead cert that we are destined for the Lowland League? Where are we going to get the cash to turn professional and still have no guarantees? I would still like someone to spell out the business model to a dumbo like me, rather than just talk of doom and gloom as if rape is inevitable. I really just can't see it. Will these big spending juniors and East Kilbrides have endless cash to keep going until they all get promotion? I don't think so. Their pockets are not deep and they are still a way off the standard required for League 2.

5 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Why is it a dead cert that we are destined for the Lowland League? Where are we going to get the cash to turn professional and still have no guarantees? I would still like someone to spell out the business model to a dumbo like me, rather than just talk of doom and gloom as if rape is inevitable. I really just can't see it. Will these big spending juniors and East Kilbrides have endless cash to keep going until they all get promotion? I don't think so. Their pockets are not deep and they are still a way off the standard required for League 2.

You are certainly no Dumbo and you make a valid point. However the football landscape in Scotland is changing dramatically and everybody knows that money talks. Queens are vulnerable as amateurs and could easily be swallowed up by the big Ayrshire, East region or West region clubs. Many are already firmly established with the potential to grow into bigger clubs than a fair share of SPL clubs. Queens have not had the need to be anything other than Amateurs in the past, time to look to the future. 

2 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Guys hearing the deal for Gus to St Mirren is a done deal. Was at lesser last night for reserves win over Ayr though. Just passing on what I've heard. Don't know if he will take the team this weekend! 

We'll never know of course but I'd have a guess that when Stubbs was booted that's when this clock started ticking. Several of the regulars have commented how Gus seems to have mellowed a bit this year and then we get a new second coach who immediately starts patrolling the touchline with Gus taking spells in the stand. He sat the whole of the first half at Killie in his seat and he was in the seats above the dug-out for much of the game last week.

I'll bet the price of four Hampden pies he'll be in the home stand at Love Street when we play the Colts